Abandon Hampden say SPFL Chairman

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Surely we didn't just do a knock-off wembley?!

A knock-off old Wembley, which was a horrific concrete barn. Minter.

As shite as Hampden is there's something about the history of the place that would make me really sad to see it go.

Although Celtic Park and Ibrox are far superior stadiums to watch football in, I still really enjoy the whole day out and the occasion of a big game at Hampden and I reckon that feeling would be lost if it was  at either of the OF grounds. In the past decade or so, Hibs, ICT, County, St Mirren, Hearts, Killie and Dundee Utd have all lifted silverware there, with Aberdeen, Livingston and Motherwell doing the same in the not too distant past. Hampden will hold a lot of special memories for a lot of people. I can still remember my first game at Hampden when I was a young boy and the excitement that I felt as I was approaching the stadium, it's been years since but I still get a wee buzz when I first lay eyes on the pitch. f**k giving Rangers or Celtic money to lease their grounds either.

Having said all that though, its a fucking shocking excuse for a National Stadium. The south is okay and while I find the  view from the North Stand okay from about halfway upwards, it's a one tiered eyesore that could have been done so much better and God forbid if you're stuck behind the goals. Hard to believe it was renovated as recently as the late 90s. In an ideal world It would be I would  knock down the East, West and North Stands and start again, only this time do it properly, get the running track to f**k, move the pitch closer too the South Stand, then have the West and North two tiers with the East being a steep one tier stand, After moving the pitch closer to the North Stand and fucking off the running track, build the other three as close to the pitch as possible. 

If we can find someone with a spare £400 million then this may be a go'er.

As shite as Hampden is there's something about the history of the place that would make me really sad to see it go.
Although Celtic Park and Ibrox are far superior stadiums to watch football in, I still really enjoy the whole day out and the occasion of a big game at Hampden and I reckon that feeling would be lost if it was  at either of the OF grounds. In the past decade or so, Hibs, ICT, County, St Mirren, Hearts, Killie and Dundee Utd have all lifted silverware there, with Aberdeen, Livingston and Motherwell doing the same in the not too distant past. Hampden will hold a lot of special memories for a lot of people. I can still remember my first game at Hampden when I was a young boy and the excitement that I felt as I was approaching the stadium, it's been years since but I still get a wee buzz when I first lay eyes on the pitch. f**k giving Rangers or Celtic money to lease their grounds either.
Having said all that though, its a fucking shocking excuse for a National Stadium. The south is okay and while I find the  view from the North Stand okay from about halfway upwards, it's a one tiered eyesore that could have been done so much better and God forbid if you're stuck behind the goals. Hard to believe it was renovated as recently as the late 90s. In an ideal world It would be I would  knock down the East, West and North Stands and start again, only this time do it properly, get the running track to f**k, move the pitch closer too the South Stand, then have the West and North two tiers with the East being a steep one tier stand, After moving the pitch closer to the North Stand and fucking off the running track, build the other three as close to the pitch as possible. 

Think this would be most people's preferred option. Surely debentures, govt, lottery, loans etc the money could be raised to do it.

12 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Wisely:

962px-Hampden_Park_(panorama),_Commonwea

I'm going to disagree on the "Wisely" aspect. How many athletics events, other than a one off unlikely to happen again, has Hampden been used for?

It's primary use is as a football stadium and it should be the best football stadium it can me. For me, it isn't. Squaring off the ends, increasing the capacity and bringing the fans in those 2 stands closer to the park should be looked at as an option. Quite how it would be done thanks to the main stand being as it is I am unsure.

8 hours ago, Dominique Malonga said:

Dave King and his 9 brothers...

Sacrifice Hampden for 2 campaigns, tour between Ibrox, Parkhead and Tynecastle (maybe pittodrie also) during this time period.

Knock down behind both goals and the Main Stand, remove the roof off the top of the north.

Build a single tier stand similar to Dortmund behind one goal, square off the other stand behind the goal. Add a second tier on these 3.

You have somewhere behind the goal you can encourage the more rowdy supporters who want to sing to head too. Keep away fans at the other end in the bottom tier.

Renovate Lesser Hampden for QP into a 1000 seater stand with terracing for overspill if possible.

Encourage Glasgow council and Scotrail to put on extra trains and buses so there is no large queues for the train back to the centre.

Review prices is another must, for lesser games against Gibraltar's, Estonia, Luxembourg etc reduce tickets to £5 for all, you'd always want to make the ground as full as you can. For other games prices can be between £20-£35.

Probably would never happen, but it'd be nice to see them attempt something like that.

1 hour ago, ftk said:

Think this would be most people's preferred option. Surely debentures, govt, lottery, loans etc the money could be raised to do it.

Do as the Hydro/Ireland did and sell the naming rights to the stadium to fund building it.  It would also help if we ever qualified for a tournament giving us extra dosh. 

One things for sure, I'd be much happier seeing Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs profiting from Scotland games than the Old Firm.

I also like the idea of Scotland touring the country for smaller games. Rather than have a half empty Hampden for games against the likes of the Fareo Islands it could be held at a sold out Pittodrie, Easter Road or Tynecastle. It gives these cities a chance to feel more connected to international football and makes international football more accessible to fans.

10 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Sacrifice Hampden for 2 campaigns, tour between Ibrox, Parkhead and Tynecastle (maybe pittodrie also) during this time period.

Knock down behind both goals and the Main Stand, remove the roof off the top of the north.

Build a single tier stand similar to Dortmund behind one goal, square off the other stand behind the goal. Add a second tier on these 3.

You have somewhere behind the goal you can encourage the more rowdy supporters who want to sing to head too. Keep away fans at the other end in the bottom tier.

Renovate Lesser Hampden for QP into a 1000 seater stand with terracing for overspill if possible.

Encourage Glasgow council and Scotrail to put on extra trains and buses so there is no large queues for the train back to the centre.

Review prices is another must, for lesser games against Gibraltar's, Estonia, Luxembourg etc reduce tickets to £5 for all, you'd always want to make the ground as full as you can. For other games prices can be between £20-£35.

Probably would never happen, but it'd be nice to see them attempt something like that.

You do realise that Easter Road is bigger and better than both they stadiums mentioned?

You do realise that Easter Road is bigger and better than both they stadiums mentioned?

Pittodrie is slightly larger than Easter road I believe.

In regards to Tynecastle I know it'll have a lesser capacity but as an example, there has been a good amount of friendlies at Easter road, Tynecastle last hosted one in 2002 I think. It's completely hypothetical anyways.

Just now, mizfit said:

In regards to Tynecastle I know it'll have a lesser capacity but as an example, there has been a good amount of friendlies at Easter road, Tynecastle last hosted one in 2002 I think. It's completely hypothetical anyways.

My bad, I thought Easter Road was bigger.

There's a reason behind them not holding any friendlies in ages, they haven't the facilities to. And your right it is :) 

Tynecastle redevelopment will be finished at the start of next season.

May I just add that assuming this campaign is a flop, attitudes towards the national team will probably be at an all time low. a great way of getting folk interested again would be to showcase games in other cities.

On 3/26/2017 at 16:21, Milnzo said:

Hampden is awful and should be done away with. Semi finals at the OF grounds though? Nope, eff that.

Make your mind up....no Hampden, but no OF grounds for semi finals.  

Sadly this is the type of contribution that sits alongside "Just build another ground".

This has been done to death.  Scottish football doesn't have the money to build another ground, even if we wanted to.  The result will be playing big games at Parkhead.  Why would any game go to Ibrox, with a much smaller capacity than Parkhead, unless it involved Celtic?  If people want to fill Celtic's coffers and complete the club's master plan to shaft the Scottish game even more, fire ahead.  

We'll sell Hampden and build a cracking wee ground and the best training facility in the country.  We'd also see what the eternal moaners say about transport links to either Ibrox or Parkhead, which are pish compared to Hampden.

Topping - a nobody.

4 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Make your mind up....no Hampden, but no OF grounds for semi finals.  

Sadly this is the type of contribution that sits alongside "Just build another ground".

This has been done to death.  Scottish football doesn't have the money to build another ground, even if we wanted to.  The result will be playing big games at Parkhead.  Why would any game go to Ibrox, with a much smaller capacity than Parkhead, unless it involved Celtic?  If people want to fill Celtic's coffers and complete the club's master plan to shaft the Scottish game even more, fire ahead.  

We'll sell Hampden and build a cracking wee ground and the best training facility in the country.  We'd also see what the eternal moaners say about transport links to either Ibrox or Parkhead, which are pish compared to Hampden.

Topping - a nobody.

As a QP fan would you support any proposed changes to the shape of Hampden? ie Squaring off the ends and improving the view/capacity at each end?

ETA: By proposed, I mean proposed in this thread and elsewhere on the internet.

14 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Scottish football doesn't have the money to build another ground, even if we wanted to.  The result will be playing big games at Parkhead.  Why would any game go to Ibrox, with a much smaller capacity than Parkhead, unless it involved Celtic?  If people want to fill Celtic's coffers and complete the club's master plan to shaft the Scottish game even more, fire ahead.  

Since Scottish football only exists to see Celtic qualify for the Eurpoean league every season;  then they should contribute a whack of their profit each year on building a new neutral ground  . 

preferably   imo   centre of scotland  ~ stirling/perth  .

Archived