Abandon Hampden say SPFL Chairman

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/26/2017 at 21:12, jmothecat said:

I remember being disappointed that the 2014 league cup final was going to be at Parkhead, as having been in the away section a few times I thought it was a terrible stadium for watching football. But it ended up being absolutely fantastic and after sitting in the
'Home' end I could see why Celtic fans like the stadium.

Sat in the Jock Stein upper when Scotland played ROI and England in 2014 and the view was great.  

So really its just the old firm getting paid for hiring out their stadiums that's getting peoples back up, other than that theres no reason not do flatten that dump.

everything can easily do dealt with, semi finals involving celtic vs AN other played at ibrox, rangers vs AN other at parkhead. play each other can toss a coin then give the away team more tickets. other games can use other suitable grounds.

national stadiums are fuckin pointless at the best of times as they mostly sit empty from week to week. its even worse how shite ours is for its primary function, there are many reasons to ditch hampden and use PH and ibrox, theres only one or 2 not to.

grow up

Parkhead and Ibrox are located in fucking heaps with no decent pubs nearby.

Get it a long term lease arranged with Murrayfield and be done with it. All this " money going out the game" pish might mean something if we didn't already spunk 90% of fans money put of the game by giving it to brain dead players to spend at ladbrokes and best kebab.

So really its just the old firm getting paid for hiring out their stadiums that's getting peoples back up, other than that theres no reason not do flatten that dump.
everything can easily do dealt with, semi finals involving celtic vs AN other played at ibrox, rangers vs AN other at parkhead. play each other can toss a coin then give the away team more tickets. other games can use other suitable grounds.
national stadiums are fuckin pointless at the best of times as they mostly sit empty from week to week. its even worse how shite ours is for its primary function, there are many reasons to ditch hampden and use PH and ibrox, theres only one or 2 not to.
grow up

The one or two not to are pretty significant.

I do like the idea of purpose built stadium around Stirling area, with very good transport and youth academy and big tourism aspect for revenue all year round. But with the Forth Bridge and A9 dualling and various other projects coffers aren't there. Maybe we could get a grant from europe ... oh wait

14 minutes ago, squidger said:

I do like the idea of purpose built stadium around Stirling area, with very good transport and youth academy and big tourism aspect for revenue all year round. But with the Forth Bridge and A9 dualling and various other projects coffers aren't there. Maybe we could get a grant from europe ... oh wait

It is a bit of a pipe dream but a feasibility wouldnt go a miss. As long as Hampden gets binned one way or another I would be happy however.

Parkhead and Ibrox are located in fucking heaps with no decent pubs nearby.
Get it a long term lease arranged with Murrayfield and be done with it. All this " money going out the game" pish might mean something if we didn't already spunk 90% of fans money put of the game by giving it to brain dead players to spend at ladbrokes and best kebab.

Hard to see how it would be cheaper to keep hampden n pay for all the building n pitch maintenance compared to leasing murrayfield. Surely spunking money at hampden takes more money 'out of the game'. Does anyone have any ideas on figures involved?

On 30/03/2017 at 00:31, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

100k capacity stadium in Auchterarder with a direct Monorail/vacuum tube link from every town in Scotland. An international airport, spaceport and a Bella Italia to also be built alongside the stadium.

BELLA ITALIA................

Franchise the Auchterarder Fish & Chip shop and your plan might be a worth a look.

None of your fancy foreign food please.

Regarding Stirling:

Is there another European country which, instead of locating their national stadium in (or perhaps on the edge of) their largest or capital city - has plunked it in a field outside a town in roughly the middle?

People go on as if this would be a sensible solution, even if you think it could be paid for and the transport achieved, but I honestly can't think of another example.

10 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Regarding Stirling:

Is there another European country which, instead of locating their national stadium in (or perhaps on the edge of) their largest or capital city - has plunked it in a field outside a town in roughly the middle?

The Spanish plumped for a compromise capital that no one wanted (Madrid) so I don't see why we can't do the same wrt a stadium.

Even assuming there wouldn't be uproar in Sterling over the idea of building a stadium there for Rangers/Celtic cup games, there aren't enough hotel rooms/other facilities there to make building a stadium for internationals practical.

12 minutes ago, JCR said:

Even assuming there wouldn't be uproar in Sterling over the idea of building a stadium there for Rangers/Celtic cup games, there aren't enough hotel rooms/other facilities there to make building a stadium for internationals practical.

Plenty of sofas though.

Archived