Abandon Hampden say SPFL Chairman

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe not quite as bad as I thought. Was sure I had seen a photo taken from behind the goal when hearts were playing that looked worse

Pretty sure Hearts made the pitch the same size as their pitch at Tynie.

Hampden isn't feasible in this day and age. Not enough games are played there to merit a lot of money being spent on it to be upgraded. I wouldn't be against them using any other of the big stadiums like Murrayfield, Ibrox or Parkhead for internationals or cup semi-finals/finals.

Let's be honest all 3 are better than Hampden.

12 minutes ago, Worktheshaft said:

Am I not right in thinking that with football dimensions applied to the pitch at Murrayfield you end up further away from the action than at Hampden?

Somewhat:

Murrayfield_cs.JPG

IMG_0894.jpg

Murrayfield014.jpg

9 minutes ago, PhilStamp1_2 said:

Certainly doesn't look like it 

It's not ideal.

Athletics 100m down one side, too.

_76797292_76797291.jpg

It's very simple.
Hampden isn't very good, but the only other big football grounds in the country belong to the clubs that already receive vastly inflated income and advantages.
The idea of most internationals, semis and finals taking place at their grounds is horrible and must be resisted.

Correct.

Hampden is shite, clearly, however the distortion of wealth in this country to two clubs is a far, far bigger issue. Thus the alternative should not be considered.

Hampden is actually the perfect monument to how Scottish Football  is run and to the people who run it. Long may they bask in the reflected nutty brown glow of its epic shiteness.

I was just thinking that it's a typically pathetic and shite Scottish football situation

It's very simple.
Hampden isn't very good, but the only other big football grounds in the country belong to the clubs that already receive vastly inflated income and advantages.
The idea of most internationals, semis and finals taking place at their grounds is horrible and must be resisted.

In a way I agree but maybe we should look at ways to share income more evenly between the club's.

6 minutes ago, ftk said:

Hampden isn't feasible in this day and age. Not enough games are played there to merit a lot of money being spent on it to be upgraded. I wouldn't be against them using any other of the big stadiums like Murrayfield, Ibrox or Parkhead for internationals or cup semi-finals/finals.

Let's be honest all 3 are better than Hampden.

Queen's Park play there every fortnight?

Queen's Park play there every fortnight?

I know that I mean games that attract big crowds. Do you think if Scotland left Hampden they would keep the 50,000 capacity? No they would either sell it or make it smaller.

13 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Somewhat:

Murrayfield_cs.JPG

IMG_0894.jpg

Murrayfield014.jpg

It's not ideal.

Athletics 100m down one side, too.

_76797292_76797291.jpg

If you're right up the back in the corners or behind the goal at MF, you can be pretty far away, but the view is far better than the equivalent seats at Hampden.

10 minutes ago, ftk said:

In a way I agree but maybe we should look at ways to share income more evenly between the club's.

Of course we should but you can guarantee that putting ourselves in a situation where all big games must take place at OF grounds, would fly directly in the face of any such desire.

1 minute ago, ftk said:

Murrayfield is probably the worst 6 nation venue. (not sure what Italy's is like?) Could the SFA and SRU not come together and build a new joint stadium?

Where? Paid for by who?

SRU have only recently got on top of debts entailed in building their 67,000-seater venue in Edinburgh - what's in it for them.

SFA don't own Hampden.

Incidentally, could large-scale segregation be an issue at Murrayfield?

Basically the turnstiles are around the edge of the complex and all the stands connect to each other in one big thoroughfare. Catering etc. all outside.

Plus the SFA declined using Murrayfield for the Hibs-Hearts final, or while Hampden was unavailable in 2014. Topping rather dismisses it. What chance it'd be considered.

Where? Paid for by who?  SRU have only recently got on top of debts entailed in building their 67,000-seater venue in Edinburgh - what's in it for them.

SFA don't own Hampden.

Incidentally, could large-scale segregation be an issue at Murrayfield?

Basically the turnstiles are around the edge of the complex and all the stands connect to each other in one big thoroughfare. Catering etc. all outside.

Plus the SFA declined using Murrayfield for the Hibs-Hearts final, or while Hampden was unavailable in 2014. Topping rather dismisses it. What chance it'd be considered.

It's the sensible solution but i suppose that's my downfall. How did Wales and Ireland fund theirs and who funded Wembley? SRU would get a brand new stadium out of it. As for where? Probably somewhere between Glasgow and Edinburgh with good transport links.

That's the point, though.

Why would SRU swap full ownership of their own fairly modern 67,000-seat Edinburgh venue, for part-ownership of a similar venue "somewhere between Edinburgh and Glasgow"?

How realistic is (say) Stirling, anyway?

Given the fiscal climate it'd have to be largely financed by loans plus whatever SRU could sell that's not floodplain. SFA haven't anything to sell.

The SFA won't use Murrayfield for the simple reason that it's in Edinburgh.  Think nothing of the tram stop or the major train station just a 10 min walk away.  Nothing will stop the SFA Celtic Sevco threesome.

Why would SRU swap full ownership of their own fairly modern 67,000-seat Edinburgh venue, for part-ownership of a similar venue "somewhere between Edinburgh and Glasgow"?

Given the fiscal climate it'd have to be largely financed by loans plus whatever SRU could sell that's not floodplain. SFA haven't anything to sell.

It's not very realistic tbh. It will be Ibrox/Parkhead or new deal with Hampden. Just a shame these 2 organisations couldn't have got together in the past or near future to give Scotland the national stadium it deserves.

48 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

The SRU have also just started work on a hotel in the grounds of MF.

Archived