Thistle v 'Well - 8th April 2017

Had this been earlier on in the year it would have been an away banker IMHO. However since our 4-1 defeat by Celtic, the difference in our form has been unbelievable, with only Aberdeen if memory serves only actually able to bear us.
As last night showed our defence is unrecognisable from the side that got pumped at For Park.
I don't discount Motherwell for a moment as they have forwards who are always a threat.
Hopefully, on Saturday that's all they'll be, because I genuinely don't think this group of players will through away the chance of top six for a second year in succession!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had this been earlier on in the year it would have been an away banker IMHO. However since our 4-1 defeat by Celtic, the difference in our form has been unbelievable, with only Aberdeen if memory serves only actually able to bear us.
As last night showed our defence is unrecognisable from the side that got pumped at For Park.
I don't discount Motherwell for a moment as they have forwards who are always a threat.
Hopefully, on Saturday that's all they'll be, because I genuinely don't think this group of players will through away the chance of top six for a second year in succession!

We could get pumped 5 0 by well on Saturday and we will still be guaranteed top 6.
Would be nice to do it in style tho....

Draw I'd say

To be honest, I actually think this sort of game will suit us more than the Accies game the other night.

We badly lack any sort of guile or creativity in the final third, so games where the onus is on us to try and break teams down like on Wednesday night are never really going to end well for us unless we manage to get an early goal. 

We are however looking far more organised and difficult to score against since Robinson took over, having conceded just 5 in 5 games so far which is a vast improvement on the 18 we conceded in McGhee's last 5 games in charge.

Would be fairly happy for us to shitfest another point on the road here.

If anyone's still feeling pessimistic then Killie to win and Motherwell +1 on the handicap i.e. the only* combination of results that will mean we're not top 6 by 5pm on Saturday is paying around 45-50/1 depending on bookie.

*even this pessimist is ruling out a 15 goal swing if Killie draw and we lose.

12 minutes ago, Slacker said:

We're 4 points clear?

For us to not be confirmed top 6 by Saturday 5pm Killie have to win and we have to not win as we'll be 2 /1  points ahead if we draw/lose

If Killie draw and we lose 4-0 we'll be 3 ahead with a goal difference advantage of 11 and 1 game to play which is what I'm saying is unlikely to be overturned so even though it wouldn't be arithmetically certain, we'd effectively be confirmed.

Always enjoy a trip to Firhill, (results aside), a few pints at Inn Deep before the game and quick walk up to the ground. We normally take a decent crowd too.

Fair play to Thistle this year, Archibald has done a great job and well deserving of a top 6 spot. I also really like the Aussie midfielder with the long hair, Edwards I think it is?

Really hope Moult is fit for this one. He's the difference between a 0-0 and a 1-0 win the other night as for me he bags the early chance Bowman squandered.

Our defence has tightened up over the last few games and with the onus being on Thistle as the home team it might suit us more than trying to break down the Accies wall the other night.

Hopefully Tait is fit to start as I would like to see Cadden moved inside for some extra legs in the middle and Lionel given a started role up top with Bowman and Mcdonald in a 3.

I'll go for a 1-1 which wouldn't be a disaster.

Aye, got you. I thought "results that will mean we're not top 6 by 5pm on Saturday" meant you actually thought we'd drop out of the top six, as opposed to not having it officially sewn up. So I was reminding you that we're 4 points clear - which of course you knew.

It's been a long week.

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

Aye, got you. I thought "results that will mean we're not top 6 by 5pm on Saturday" meant you actually thought we'd drop out of the top six, as opposed to not having it officially sewn up. So I was reminding you that we're 4 points clear - which of course you knew.

It's been a long week.

"What do you know that I don't know?"

"I don't know Minister. I don't know what you don't know."

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

We'll probably shitfest the first half then tweak a couple of things and go on to win 2-0 or 2-1.

How about shifesting both halfs. You are guaranteed top 6 as no way Killie will take anything from Parkhead. 

We usually bring a decent crowd to Firhill - so financially it makes sense 

I am heading along and expect a narrow loss. No offence but it shows how far we have fallen that I am heading to Firhill and expecting a defeat. That said we have tightened up but have missed so many chances of late. Would be refreshing to create 2 and score 2 and get something from the game. 

I also note Beaton is the referee. So get your money on a disallowed Motherwell goal AGAIN or a very soft penalty for Thistle or even both if he is his usual anti Well self. 

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

I also note Beaton is the referee. So get your money on a disallowed Motherwell goal AGAIN or a very soft penalty for Thistle or even both if he is his usual anti Well self. 

Beaton is an absolute joke for thistle as well mate :thumsup2

How about shifesting both halfs. You are guaranteed top 6 as no way Killie will take anything from Parkhead. 
We usually bring a decent crowd to Firhill - so financially it makes sense 
I am heading along and expect a narrow loss. No offence but it shows how far we have fallen that I am heading to Firhill and expecting a defeat. That said we have tightened up but have missed so many chances of late. Would be refreshing to create 2 and score 2 and get something from the game. 

No dice m8, we need as many points on board as possible before we enter the Top 6.

Don't follow non-topsix Scottish football much, and struggling to think of a single Motherwell player. Assuming they're your average rabble of bog-standard, clogging #bottomsix journeymen?

4 hours ago, welldaft said:

No referees in Scotland are really anti-anybody. They're just not very good at their jobs.

3 minutes ago, Duszek said:

Don't follow non-topsix Scottish football much, and struggling to think of a single Motherwell player. Assuming they're your average rabble of bog-standard, clogging #bottomsix journeymen?

Basically, Moult is the only player to worry about and he's facing a late fitness test (which is code for will only be good for about 45 mins)

Archived