June 8th General Election

Mudder

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Do you agree that lessons need to be learned?

Political parties always have lessons to learn from campaigns. I'd point more to their fairly incoherent message about the purpose of voting SNP at Westminster over their record in government though. In a sense their argument - on the correct principle IMO - has been that Holyrood should call the shots on indyref2 and Westminster has no power over it. The problem though is that there wasn't much to offer Yes voters on the political left as a result at this specific election. 

Westminster elections ultimately aren't at the top of the SNP priority list and I think that has ultimately seeped down into their performance with the electorate. 

I hope Labour beat the Tories in seats in Scotland. 3rd place for Ruth Davidson's party.

Yep. If the SNP are going to lose votes then I'd prefer that certainly to the Tories gaining seats.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

The SNP campaign was difficult because of i) incumbency in both Westminster constituencies and ii) Holyrood government (for ten years now FFS); they've also probably been squeezed by there being an undoubtedly clearer difference in policies between Labour and Conservative. They didn't really make a coherent case for having SNP candidates at Westminster even to Yes voters and in the last few days the tactical voting messages were rather piss-poor and off-putting. 

That said they will still be crushing victors overall and there will be no coherent message on Indyref2 coming up from London. 

Not just the last few days, talking it up as Tory v SNP so much seemed a strange move.

The only way 56 happened was a healthy split of the Unionist vote nationally and a hilariously naff tactical voting campaign. If the Tories do take a decent number of seats based on large swings from Labour and the Lib Dems, the SNP have talked themself into losses here.

Liam Fox - "this is return to two party politics with the minority parties crumbling away".

Hmmm, so the party likely to win most seats in Scotland has "crumbled away" ?!

Archived