June 8th General Election

Mudder

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, dorlomin said:

May has gone full kipper. Never go full kipper. 

Cant hurt her in the polls, the opposition is too farcical. 

But will hurt her and jolly ol Britain in the long run.

She's appealing to the worst part of British society in order to secure a resounding election victory. This tactic though will have grave consequences for her further down the road on several fronts, I think. 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

It is not Orwellian. It is you and I having a difference of opinion.

I reckon she is displaying leadership and right now the local election results seem to suggest that in this instance I am correct. It is a bloodbath tonight and it will be a bigger bloodbath next month.

People in the UK are simply not interested in left wing stuff at this moment in time. Right now, people are worried about there own lives, their own jobs and their own families and are quite understandably and quite rightly voting for themselves first and foremost. National, international and local issues are all being mashed up together for the first time I can remember. I have said this before. It is NOT about people hating the poor or having no regard for them. It is that right now people have problems right in front of them affecting their lives now and under those circumstances people at the very bottom come very much secondary to that.

It appears that 2017 is going to be the year Labour dies. We may be looking at two decades of Tory rule at least.

^^^ can barely contain his glee.

SNP voter my arse.  Your mask is starting to slip, you right wing Tory cretin.

It is not Orwellian. It is you and I having a difference of opinion.
I reckon she is displaying leadership and right now the local election results seem to suggest that in this instance I am correct. It is a bloodbath tonight and it will be a bigger bloodbath next month.
People in the UK are simply not interested in left wing stuff at this moment in time. Right now, people are worried about there own lives, their own jobs and their own families and are quite understandably and quite rightly voting for themselves first and foremost. National, international and local issues are all being mashed up together for the first time I can remember. I have said this before. It is NOT about people hating the poor or having no regard for them. It is that right now people have problems right in front of them affecting their lives now and under those circumstances people at the very bottom come very much secondary to that.
It appears that 2017 is going to be the year Labour dies. We may be looking at two decades of Tory rule at least.

Oaksoft I didn't ask if you thought her tactics would work - you won't find many folk here that think they won't.

I'm asking you do you think hiding from any public forum or debate is the sign of a good leader? Is cowardice something you think is OK for a pm sometimes?

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Two decades of Tory rule?  You seem to be forgetting about Brexit.

If it proves to be a disaster, or if so much time is spent negotiating Brexit that nothing else gets done then people will blame the Tories.
(Yes - I know the UK voted for it - but it all goes wrong - they will blame the people who recommended it and said it would be great)

The Tory party is full of people who think Brexit is the solution to everything.  If it is not then they have nothing else to offer.

I suspect at some time in the next two decades - we will know one way or the other.

If Brexit proves a disaster, people will either bury their heads in the sand and just pretend that it's not a disaster (this is already happening, of course) or continue to blame minority groups or anyone seen as unpatriotic, leading to a Tory Party that lurches ever further to the right.

If you were a teenage would-be Ken Clarke, there's no way you'd join the Tories under their current guise. New members and, eventually, new Cabinet Ministers, are going to be worse and worse as each new batch of Brexiteer, Daily Heil-reading young Tories rise to power.

4 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I previously described the idea of Tories taking Pete Wisharts seat as fantasy.

I would now like to retract that.

Oh f**k, oh fucking f**k

I didn't put money on that based on your chat.

You're due me £40.

Thank you.

I'm not overly worried about the Tory gains reflecting on next month's vote for 3 main reasons

1) Council elections will have a much smaller turnout than a General Election

2) It seems the SNP have fielded too many candidates in a lot of areas, causing preference votes to be split

3) The General Election FPTP system is much less open to tactical voting than STV

Labour dying a slow horrible death and their replacement by the Tories boils the constitutional discussion down to the SNP (and Greens) vs the Tories. While there is an apparent sizeable minority Tory vote in Scotland there's no hiding now for left wing and centre left unionist supporters. Either back a more progressive independent Scotland in the EU or back a hard Brexit led by the furthest right wing British government in living memory.

Labour gain in my ward, bit unexpected. Had the realisation that every single candidate I've voted for in any (non internal) election has won. Might not vote next month to keep the record going.

18 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Talk about a loaded question :lol:

I dont consider it cowardice or hiding.

She just doesnt want to do it and TBH I dont blame her. When the general public behave like animals towards politicians this is what you get in return.

She said she would though.

She said she would be up and down the country, meeting real people, knocking on doors, campaigning in towns and villages etc....

She gave that as the reason why she wouldn't do TV debates.

It's contemptuous to the public, the people she wants to vote for her, and sold them a story knowing full well that she wouldn't do it.  It got her out of a tight spot but it was a lie.

She also placed strict controls on how journalists had photographed her and questioned her, and she's done the bare minimum of interviews.  That's hiding.

The general public, save for a very, very, small number of idiots do not behave like animals to politicians.  Nicola Sturgeon doesn't seem to have much trouble meeting people from all backgrounds, neither does Ruth Davidson tbf.

What Theresa May does might work, but that's more the work of a slick pr machine, a massive lead in the polls and meticuousoy co-ordinated moves.

So while it might work, I don't think that it shows people the respect that they should be due.

Talk about a loaded question [emoji38]
She just doesnt want to do it and TBH I dont blame her. When the general public behave like animals towards politicians this is what you get in return.

Animals? What are we talking about here? The Jim Murphy thing with the eggs? Politicians have always had to put up with the odd arsehole when out campaigning.

I'm guessing the TV debates would've been relatively animal free.

You're right that she doesn't want to do it. I couldn't give a f**k whether she wants to or not it's part of the game. It's quite telling that you're OK with that.

Blair started this stage managed presidential shit (or at least took it to a whole new level) and we need to start calling it out. She is showing absolutely no strength of character and is instead following the orders of her spin guru.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Talk about a loaded question :lol:

If the Prime Minister of the UK can't handle a few people saying nasty things on Twitter without hiding in a forest in Aberdeenshire, God help us all.

1 hour ago, Fide said:

If the Prime Minister of the UK can't handle a few people saying nasty things on Twitter without hiding in a forest in Aberdeenshire, God help us all.

It's almost like she's a... triggered... little... snowflake... :o

Archived