ICM Poll;

Theresa May

Good campaign: 41%

Bad campaign: 22%

Jeremy Corbyn:

Good campaign: 21%

Bad campaign: 40%

There are no words.

It's a fairly useless stat, in that it merely reflects the personal ratings of each leader, since as already noted most folk aren't paying attention. Ergo, May can waltz about the joint screaming "strong and stable" monotonically to select small groups of like minded Daleks and people will, currently, simply assume she's having a good campaign due to her public image.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Not at all. There is great virtue in doing nothing. For a start, Labour are running around like headless chickens, making themselves look terrible and wasting precious days. Strategical silence is exactly the correct thing to do at this moment in time. It shows great experience on May's part.

Or she genuinely has nothing to say and is expecting to coast through the campaign with little or no scrutiny. Not exactly a healthy outlook for democracy, is it.

I'm bewildered, its heart breaking to think that in all likelihood the Tories will be returned with a much improved majority come June 8th.
It's no consolation that Scotland will provide a majority of MPs that aren't Tory. Until we achieve Independence, this is the party & policies that will prevail. I'm fuckin sick.
What an absolute shambles the British voting public are!
I don't want a hard Brexit, it will really hurt the UK financially & more importantly socially & the legal implications are huge for everyone.
*It will provide no consolation to me when the working classes of Bolton, Newcastle & Bradford who voted to Leave get absolutely shagged personally, on the whim of a couple of Oxbridge ministers and a load of racists.

*it will

I think she is rightly being given credit for refusing to bow down and engage in these cringeworthy live debates.

IMO the majority of people in the country see straight those this trendy stolenfromAmerica fad.

Also bravely avoiding the general public and journalistic questioning. I too applaud her strong and stable hiding away in empty factories and Aberdeenshire forests.

Guest Bob Mahelp
34 minutes ago, renton said:

It's a fairly useless stat, in that it merely reflects the personal ratings of each leader, since as already noted most folk aren't paying attention. Ergo, May can waltz about the joint screaming "strong and stable" monotonically to select small groups of like minded Daleks and people will, currently, simply assume she's having a good campaign due to her public image.

There was a good article from Lesley Riddoch yesterday in The Scotsman (you can tell it was good by the amount of Yoon abuse she got), where she described how May's campaign is effectively being written in fiction by ultra right-wing newspapers. 

These papers have a narrative that dictates 'Tory good, everyone else bad' and they have an enormous influence in determining how many in the UK view their politics...even more so when mainstream TV channels repeat their headlines and stories as if they are true. 

We're in the middle of an extreme right-wing coup and the direction is being dictated by a small number of incredibly rich men. Their current job is to convince us that this negative, shambolic. vacuousTory campaign is a success. 

May is just a puppet. If she goes soft on Brexit for instance, these same newspapers will turn on her and she'll be hounded out. 

As Lesley said, people shouldn't just accept the inevitability of this right-wing coup. It can be resisted.

Does seem like May is getting a slightly harder time from the press than the Tories have had in previous campaigns. I wonder if a fair few journalists are getting slightly fed up of being asked to do the bidding of an absolute gang of shitebags.

Overall it will still work of course because the Tory tactic of treating the British public like they're gormless simpletons is in essence, a very wise one.

May has something approaching a memorable campaign moment by saying she'll be a 'bloody difficult woman' for Jean-Claude Juncker.

Sadly, and inexplicably, that won't send alarm bells ringing for anyone but will instead appeal to the nationalists in England, who currently appear to be the majority.

7 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Eh?

Emphasis on slightly.

I don't remember reading quite these many details on the Tory's campaign stage management and all round shitebaggery before. It's not they're actually being adequately scrutinised or anything ridiculous like that but it does seem like there's a few journalists out there whose patience is being tested.

9 minutes ago, Paco said:

May has something approaching a memorable campaign moment by saying she'll be a 'bloody difficult woman' for Jean-Claude Juncker.

Sadly, and inexplicably, that won't send alarm bells ringing for anyone but will instead appeal to the nationalists in England, who currently appear to be the majority.

She's trying to evoke Thatcher I guess, 'That Bloody Woman' as her opponents called her back in the day.

This manifesto is going to be the least detailed in history. It's literally going to have no commitments and just be 'We get to do anything we want' spread over a hundred pages or so.

No one is going to read it or change their mind about voting Conservative anyway.

Guest Bob Mahelp
40 minutes ago, Paco said:

Yet another meaningless soundbite designed to stir the hearts of ignorant little Englanders and braindead bigots all over the UK. 

I bet Ruth the Mooth wishes she'd been given that line to use by Tory high command.

Imagine Corbyn or Sturgeon were running a similar campaign to May. Refusing interviews, vacuous soundbites, telling workers at the factories they visit not to answer questions from the media.

They would be slaughtered by the press.

Defeatism. That's the spirit.

Lessons in defeatism from the man who just doesn't know if the people of Scotland have the mindset to make independence successful [emoji23]

It's hardly "defeatism" to conclude that remaining under Westminster control is better for Scotland than being completely under Holyrood control.
Functioning adults would call that a "difference of opinion".
Maybe teachers are so obsessed with teaching kids how to pass exams that they don't have time to teach them what that phrase means eh?

Scotland is one of the only nations in the world incapable of being independent. You're right, not defeatist at all champ.

In which case, if enough people agree with your viewpoint she risks losing the election.
Personally, I think her strategy is spot on because right now Labour are doing everything they can to lose the election.

Are you trying to suggest she's showing strong leadership by hiding from the public and repeating stock phrases over and over (to the point of embarrassment)?

Is that what you want in a prime minister?

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Are you trying to suggest she's showing strong leadership by hiding from the public and repeating stock phrases over and over (to the point of embarrassment)?

Is that what you want in a prime minister?

She's doing a good job of not letting her enemies dictate her agenda.

Exactly one of the qualities we will need in the upcoming Brexit negotiations.

I note Mrs May is hiding down in Cornwall today.
She was already due an easy ride down there but the town shes went to, Helston, is an absolute Tory stronghold with a massive Royal Navy air Base just a couple of miles away.
I lived and worked there for 12 years and voted Conservate twice at the corresponding General Elections.
It's reported that she's still had reporters locked in a room and they've been prevented from filming or asking questions.

It's the Tory strategy.

Ein volk, ein reich, ein führer.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

She is doing things her own way and ignoring great pressure from people to conform.

I think that is strength. The word "hiding" is not appropriate. She is playing by her own rules and I respect that.

You don't half post some shite at times.

Archived