French Presidential Election

Arabdownunder

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Macron wins. Estimated 65.1%

Announcing it with a countdown and a graphic of the winner appearing is pretty gangsta :lol:

Reports of a low turnout aswell which should have favoured le pen

Guest Bob Mahelp

Much to the disgust of the Express, Daily Mail and Telegraph, the ultra right-wing fascist in France gets thoroughly trounced.

Despite the lies written in our Tory supporting media, there is no popular movement in European countries to abandon the EU.

It's only the UK where the racists, bigots and nutcase fanatics have succeeded.

As expected, thankfully. 

Will be interesting to see who's going to stand as a candidate for his party in the elections next month - an exodus from the established old guard joining a new party, or does he already have a base to name candidates from? 

I'm pleased Macron's defeated Le Pen, who a pre-Brexit vote UKIP used to distance themselves from (always thought that said it all) but I think he may struggle to get some of his headline policies through. Cutting the civil service and weakening the 35hr working week are certain to cause a collision course with the unions and will be a tough ask to get through. These are of course only one aspect of his economic plan, but failing to get them through and not seeing an improvement risks putting us back here again next time. 

I like Macron's ambition - his proposed changes aren't radical, but are significant in a French context. Labour reforms caused Hollande difficulties and if there is somewhere he'll fall down, that is likely where it'll be. Perhaps may be easier for Macron with his former party pretty much buried? Time will tell. 

Archived