Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

17 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Really?. When we have the most corrupt and ineptitude government in living memory? Wakefield should always gone back to Labour. Tiverton will return Tory at the next election. 

Yes the timing of your post is beyond moronic which isn't surprising.

Just because you want the Tories to win the next General Election doesn't mean that they will. You should remove your head from the sand and stop doing guesswork based on your own baby brained  desires. 

5 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Yes the timing of your post is beyond moronic which isn't surprising.

Just because you want the Tories to win the next General Election doesn't mean that they will. You should remove your head from the sand and stop doing guesswork based on your own baby brained  desires. 

Where did I ever say I want the Tories to win the next General election. Quote me! I have said IMO that they WILL win it because England is a naturally Conservative country. Labour might win an election with a different leader who actually can get his act together to romp home. And it will be even harder to win without a big rump of Scottish Labour MP's. Which they won't get. They need a Blair like landslide of 1997 to win in England.  Which is beyond them.As for the timing? In politics the timing is of the here and now, not a postponed period after a by election or a political event. Otherwise you will eventually sink in the quicksand of politics with hesitancy.

Edited by Highlandmagyar Tier 3

50 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Labour can't win an election with Starmer on a thread when they've just overturned a seat and LD has also taken one from the Tories. If these numbers were to continue which is possible then they'd be in power after the next GE.

The thing is, though, did they win it by offering a credible, well-thought appeal to voters or was this more to do with the Tory party unraveling? 

9 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

The thing is, though, did they win it by offering a credible, well-thought appeal to voters or was this more to do with the Tory party unraveling? 

Well yes as that's why they were voted in, they are seen as being more credible than the Tories. 

They've played it very well and their well thought out strategy is to win back power, these results are brilliant, especially if replicated across the country. 

Just now, Albus Bulbasaur said:

they are seen as being more credible than the Tories. 

Yes, but it's hardly a high bar is it? I mean there's hardly a groundswell of cheering for Starmer's vision which is, erm, not sure really. I'm delighted they did win, mind you.

England is a small c Conservative country with a little sprinkling of "oh mum" racism. The current lot of Bozo Tories are basically extreme UKIP like Patel, Rab and c***s like Gullis, Bone and François. The big money Tories and MSM will ditch Bozo when the moment comes. Maybe one year down the line they will fire in Jeremy Hunt or the Liz Truss to take on Starmer in a bland off where the natural small c will see them forgive the Tories sins. Unless Lab and Lib form a loose agreement at election times the Tories will win.

4 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Yes, but it's hardly a high bar is it? I mean there's hardly a groundswell of cheering for Starmer's vision which is, erm, not sure really. I'm delighted they did win, mind you.

I'm happy to see Labour win the next GE. 

I don't care if leftists think he's uninspiring, he's clearly inspiring enough to be beating his opposition at this point, you can only play against the opponent you're given. 

49 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I don't care if leftists think he's uninspiring, he's clearly inspiring enough to be beating his opposition at this point, you can only play against the opponent you're given. 

Me too but I can't see it.

He's only 'beating' the opposition just now because of how useless Boris is. Boris won't be there for the next general election and the conservatives will rebrand and the voters will flock home. 

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see a labour victory under starmer.

Surely no one with a functioning brain thinks Labour's win in Wakefield was down to the electorate thinking "Yeah that Keir Starmer is tremendous, I'm totally going to vote for his party candidate" instead of a massive "f**k you" to Boris Johnson and the Tories for their simply dreadful conduct over the last couple of years.

Labour, imo DO have a better chance to win the next election than I'd previously thought, although much of that is down to Tory conduct as much as anything else. If Starmer can keep the party united enough not to score any massive own goals and be a wee bit bolder in attacking the Tories, they've got a slight chance. Ultimately though it's a huge task, as they have absolutely no chance of trousering the number of seats in Scotland that their previous election wins have bagged. He's going to have to appeal to middle England without going so far as to piss off the left and even slightly left-of-centre of his own party. 

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a repeat of those tremendous 1997 scenes where objectionable Tory after objectionable Tory was ousted in humiliating fashion. It's just a shame Blair turned out to be such a c**t himself. 

Tinfoil hat stuff, but there's always the possibility that they'll keep Boris on as Prime Minister as the scapegoat for defeat.

This is a dreadful time to be the party in government. It's probably a good time to hand over to somebody else who won't do anything radical to disrupt your evil schemes, let them take the blame for the mess, then sweep back in after a few years having reinforced that the Conservatives are the only party fit to lead. Supporters of opposition parties would likely be thoroughly demoralised, and in no fit state to challenge the continued dismantling of human rights and standard of living.

Sounds like a right laugh.

1 hour ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I used to be quite left wing, these days I'm a shade of pink. At the end of the day in a GE Labour need to pile up about 10m votes to jettison the Tories and probably get about 12m plus to get a majority so being realistic I think we will be in hung parliament territory.

Think most people on here would certainly be glad to see the back of the Tories. The incessant lying and corruption is utterly wearing and the UK is an international joke.  I don't think Indyref2 will happen next year as it will be blocked so I'm at the stage I don't care who beats the Tories, I just want rid of them. If that means a progressive coalition where the angry rhetoric between them (Labour, Libs, SNP) could be shelved in the interest of getting the fucking Tories gone then I'm all for it.

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

England is a small c Conservative country with a little sprinkling of "oh mum" racism. The current lot of Bozo Tories are basically extreme UKIP like Patel, Rab and c***s like Gullis, Bone and François. The big money Tories and MSM will ditch Bozo when the moment comes. Maybe one year down the line they will fire in Jeremy Hunt or the Liz Truss to take on Starmer in a bland off where the natural small c will see them forgive the Tories sins. Unless Lab and Lib form a loose agreement at election times the Tories will win.

Labour voters might vote Lib Dem strategically to get rid of the Tories, less so Lib Dem voters who will vote Labour.  Many Lib Dems would rather a right wing Tory government than anything that has the chance of upsetting the status quo.

Had the most bizarre thought - what of Boris Johnson decides that the way to stave off being removed from the Tory leadership is to call a snap general election? 

I really think he might be thinking this. If it's that or waiting on his backbenchers finding a way to oust him, he'll go to the country. 

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Had the most bizarre thought - what of Boris Johnson decides that the way to stave off being removed from the Tory leadership is to call a snap general election? 

I really think he might be thinking this. If it's that or waiting on his backbenchers finding a way to oust him, he'll go to the country. 

This has been discussed before.  Not sure he could do that without the support of the Tory MPs.