St Mirren vs Raith Rovers

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Stelios who scored your only goal of the game? If he wasn't in the game where were the others?

If a (part time) midfield of 5 effectively disables your midfield then I'd suggest they aren't best midfield in the league.

It was young Kyle Magennis who scored against Dumbarton and not Stelios. Our team performance on that day was collectively poor.

Dumbarton were defensively excellent and gave it their all to stop our midfield playing.

When you consider that in December we were bottom place with 4 points and totally detached to where we are now, is down to McGinn Mallan and Magennis operating as a unit and playing superbly well to drag this team into our current position. 

I can see where Northbank is coming from and can't disagree.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturday will be a tough game for both sides but one I'm looking forward too. Could quite easily go tits up but right now, I'm enjoying the football this Saints team is playing. Hopefully we can get the win on Saturday.

PS . My above post was in jest for any daftie out there

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

????? Over the last 10 games we are the League's form team and would be top of the League. And we beat Hibs 'first team' 2-0 only last month. I am not suggesting Saturday's game will be easy but we have possibly the best midfield in the Championship just now in Morgan, Mallan, McGinn and Magennis. 3 having been capped at U21 level (Magennis is only 18 and hasn't featured as yet). And 3 of these lads are under 21 which is always a bonus in pressure games as they do not seem to feel it as much.

Over the past 12 games - a third of a season - since we revamped the team, we have been the form team. Most goals scored, best goal difference. Our sticking point at the moment is still defence and keeper since Davis got injured, but we will almost always score goals. Only drawn a blank something like 5 times in all competitions all season, although two of those have been in the last 3 months at home to Dumbarton and Dunfermline in 0-0 draws, so it's possible if Raith sit deep they can frustrate us.

Having said that, even if they sit deep we have Mallan's deadball prowess and McKenzie's penchant for a towering header from a corner which could break through that.

I expect goals though, and us to score the most of them...

3 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Can't see us winning here. A draw is the best result we can hope for I suspect and then hope Hibs do us a favour by beating St Mirren on the last day. There's a fragility about this Rovers team in defence that's frightening. Hope I'm wrong but I think we are pretty much a show in for the play-offs, worse if Ayr sneak something against Hibs

That's quite bizarre. At the start of the season you're defence looked utterly solid. What happened?

Oh aye, I've changed my mind. Here's hoping for an away win on Saturday............mon the Raith! :P

Best midfield in the league [emoji23]

You forgot the bit about 'over the last 10 games'.

At one point we were 19 points behind Raith, 12 behind Dumbarton and 10 behind Ayr. That was when we had no midfield under Rae. The transformation since we produced a midfield in January has been pretty spectacular.

At one point we were 19 points behind Raith, 12 behind Dumbarton and 10 behind Ayr. That was when we had no midfield under Rae. The transformation since we produced a midfield in January has been pretty spectacular.

I didn't forget about it, it is still laughable.

We were the best team in the league from end of Jan transfer window to May last season.  And still choked in the big game when it mattered (Hibs playoff)

That said, really fear for us on Sat.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

He's not the brightest mate. 

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

A Raith win means we go onto the Tannadice pitch knowing a draw is enough to seal it. That has to be the most preferable situation I think but there's something in my gut saying it won't be that simple.

You wind yer neck in and give us peace.

You're beginning to sound like a Hibbie 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

As an aside, I have to say, these St Mirren match threads have been blissful (relatively speaking) since we pumped Morton. :thumsup2 

Actually ok for rivals to read too unlike others.....cue virginton

17 hours ago, DWBud said:

Bankhouse will have it on, albeit a saints pub but they will welcome you with open arms. Right outside the station and 10 min walk to the ground.

17 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

All the pubs in that map (with the exception of The Last Post, which is Wetherspoons) will have the Old Scum game on.

17 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Gabriels... 3 minute walk from Gilmour St station. 8 or 9 TVs , one is an 86 inch fucker

pubs1.JPG

Cheers Gents, much appreciated!

Archived