Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

What Nippy is actually committed to. 
You missed out the important bits that David Keenan kindly included in the posts that followed:

"Understand what you're saying but one thing to caveat that with is integrated health a social care has been overseen by IJBs for the past 6/7 years. Under plans for NCS, IJBs would be reformed but would still retain Cllrs as members. Although not directly elected to Boards would retain some form of accountability by virtue of their status as a Councillor. Members of the public can access IJB meetings and make deputations. So there would still be local accountability and a democratic element.

One more thing to add - there are TU staff reps, service users reps, carer reps and Third Sector reps who currently sit on Boards who are all elected/appointed through various forums."

5 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Not only does England dominate every aspect of the UK, it should dominate every aspect of the UK.

It's comfortably more than the 5x the size of every other nation put together.

There's a reason why no other nation in the world has this, it's completely bonkers. Germany and the US have largest states, but said states are not 5x the size of everyone else put together.

Just as an aside, Northern Norway is a third of the whole country but only a tenth of the whole population. 

Bit of a coincidence.

3 hours ago, btb said:

1. My argument is that the issue has been there or thereabouts in the news since 2014 and that there aren't many undecideds or soft YES/NO voters to move the needle very far, although I accept that the margin is so fine that nothing could be guaranteed.

2. If you look at the IndyRef2 thread it only got 4/5 pages in the year between when it was launched and Brexit - if NO won IndyRef2 it would need something as seismic as Brexit to create interest in IndyRef3.

Fair points, my argument being that we live in a time me of political turmoil and it is difficult to predict what will happen next.

In the last five years we’ve had an American President whose period in office ended with near insurrection, we’ve seen the growth of the far right across Europe to the extent they are forming governments and we’ve seen Russia threaten the use of nuclear weapons.  I do not think many of us would have predicted any of that.

It seems that even the most unexpected can happen in the political context.  I would not be surprised if a slim YES majority happened and equally I would not be surprised if a UK government then chose not to recognise it.

17 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Fair points, my argument being that we live in a time me of political turmoil and it is difficult to predict what will happen next.

In the last five years we’ve had an American President whose period in office ended with near insurrection, we’ve seen the growth of the far right across Europe to the extent they are forming governments and we’ve seen Russia threaten the use of nuclear weapons.  I do not think many of us would have predicted any of that.

It seems that even the most unexpected can happen in the political context.  I would not be surprised if a slim YES majority happened and equally I would not be surprised if a UK government then chose not to recognise it.

I think it's worse than that

If His Majesty's Government loses in the Supreme Court, the slimy b*****ds in Westminster will just change the legislation. 

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

FFA doesn't interest me in the slightest. Scotland managing its own forien affairs and nascent armed forces is as important as the pennies. 

True. England and Wales killed all idea of anything approaching FFA or federalism when they decided on Brexit.

32 minutes ago, Antlion said:

True. England and Wales killed all idea of anything approaching FFA or federalism when they decided on Brexit.

It's also impossible to imagine a devolved settlement that couldn't just be amended, edited or set aside without consent at the whim of those chasing a minority of votes in England/wanting to pay less tax on his Argyll shooting estate.  So no. 

42 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I think it's worse than that

If His Majesty's Government loses in the Supreme Court, the slimy b*****ds in Westminster will just change the legislation. 

They really don't want to do that tho. Oh sure some of the headcases dont care and SLab and the scotty libdems would spurt all over themselves to endorse it but, there is at least a sizable minority down south who would be appalled at turning the UK into a prison. Either because they want shot of us or because they're decent folks and can see this would be both amoral and potentially dangerous. 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

^^^ learned nothing from the Balkans War, the Falklands War, the Irish 20th century conflicts and wars of independence in every part of the world from Africa to India.

What does any of that have do with independence supporters in contemporary Scotland?

22 hours ago, Detournement said:

In the highly unlikely event of independence we would obviously join NATO and keep Trident exactly where it is.

It's impossible for the people in power to make any other decision.

Maybe they would at least tow the rotting submarines in Rosyth down to the Thames

15 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, Detournement said:
What does any of that have do with independence supporters in contemporary Scotland?

Well you did use Irish UDI yesterday to back up your argument.

Aye but SNP/Indy supporters are not comparable to Irish republicans a century ago. 

I'd say a good rule of thumb is if your average supporter has a BMI > 25 then there won't be any militancy. 

Aye but SNP/Indy supporters are not comparable to Irish republicans a century ago. 
I'd say a good rule of thumb is if your average supporter has a BMI > 25 then there won't be any militancy. 
Someone who resorts to violence though won't be your average supporter.

And in any case having a BMI>25 doesn't stop you making bombs - I think that's more like the sort of violence [mention=8416]Oaksoft[/mention] was referring to.

15 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Not only does England dominate every aspect of the UK, it should dominate every aspect of the UK.

The true truth is that is doesn't and it hasn't.

21st C Britain has been formed - disproportionately - by we Scots over the 300+ years of us uniting as a new nation wherein we punched well above our  weight.

About 10% of Scotland's population is living in England and about half a million English people are living in Scotland.  We've done so happily for centuries.

Chuck in more than 10% - or in my area more than 30% - of the admix are non-native - but very welcome - Brits and you can see that the notion that 'Scots' are different to 'English' is utterly absurd.

ScotchNats are about as ignorant, ill-informed and pathetic a group of xenophobes as it is possible to meet.