Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

5 minutes ago, renton said:

So are you just going to bow to whomever can best the last CV you saw?

Cherry is obviously a highly educated person, and a diligent lawyer. By no means does that make her a moral authority on any given issue. 

This is an issue with limited cut through to the general public. What it is - like her fundamentalist vs. Gradulist take on IndyRef2 - is a wedge issue that puts her at odds with the current leadership. She may well have moral issues about trans rights, let's not for a second though lose sight of the political dimension to her, or indeed anyone's position on this issue.

I really don't see a political dimension.

As for indyref2 events are proving her right and the current leadership wrong, they are moving closer and closer to her position every day, and she hasn't budged an inch.

7 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Advises de-escalation re trans debate...

... then turns attention to the real issue, the one that's about to consume politics in Scotland, and seriously damage the drive for independence if people can't adjust quickly and skilfully to its implications.

Wake the f**k up.

I don't think Highlands independence is ever going to take minds off the immediate goal tbh.

You have shown zero bigotry on the part of Joanna Cherry.  Lets have a quick read about the person you are calling a bigot

University of Edinburgh, where she gained a first-class Bachelor of Laws honours degree in 1988 and a Master of Laws degree in 1989.

Career[edit]

Following her graduation, Cherry worked as a research assistant with the Scottish Law Commission (1990) before practising as a solicitor with the Edinburgh legal firm Brodies WS until 1995. She also worked as a part-time tutor in constitutional lawfamily law and civil court practice at the University of Edinburgh from 1990–1996.[3]

Cherry was admitted as an advocate in 1995, with a particular interest in employment and industrial relations, health and safety, mental health, personal injury and professional negligence.[1][3]

She served as a Standing Junior Counsel to the Scottish Government from 2003 to 2008, and as an Advocate Depute and Senior Advocate Depute from 2008 until 2011. She was appointed a Queen's Counsel in 2009[4] and was an advocate with the Arnot Manderson stable within the Faculty of Advocates [5] until her election to parliament.[6]

Career also means "to move swiftly and in an uncontrolled way".

Rather apt.

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

Nonsense. Being vocal on Twitter doesn't translate to a mass movement in the real world.

51 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You're such a fucking liar, you've fallen for the Wings shite hook line and sinker, and you probably still believe you're doing it for an independent Scotland, which is the sad part. He's sitting in his comfortable house in Bath, paid for by the likes of you, and laughing his head off.

Why on earth are you taking that piece of shit troll seriously?

He's attention seeking scum who is on his billionth alias. He should have been banned from the forum long ago. His spamming is bad enough but to be posting hateful pish as part of it and part of his trolling is horrendous. He's fucking filth and needs banned permanently.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Why on earth are you taking that piece of shit troll seriously?

He's attention seeking scum who is on his billionth alias. He should have been banned from the forum long ago. His spamming is bad enough but to be posting hateful pish as part of it and part of his trolling is horrendous. He's fucking filth and needs banned permanently.

Examples of hateful filth.....

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Still no evidence?  You're happy just to throw out unfounded accusations yeah?

If you think I'm going to repost your tweets about that damaged pervert in Alberta you dug up, or all these fat beardy people in dresses you found on bath boy's twitter feed to laugh at, or that rugby thing you posted today, you're mistaken. I'm going to take @DA Baracus 's advice and stick you on ignore. Life's too short to share it with people so easily led into outright cuntery over people you've never encountered and know nothing about. 

3 hours ago, G51 said:

It's not my fight anymore because I no longer live in the Highlands, but the Scottish Government extracts resources, people and power out of the Highlands and relocates them to the Central Belt.

Decisions about the Highlands should be made there, not in a Parliament that is every bit as remote as London.

That's absolute MOPE pish.

You're right that there should be more local decision making, but that applies equally to Wishaw as Wick. But the resources thing is drivel.

There's folk in every corner of Scotland that think their area is getting a raw deal and all of them are wrong.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If you think I'm going to repost your tweets about that damaged pervert in Alberta you dug up, or all these fat beardy people in dresses you found on bath boy's twitter feed to laugh at, or that rugby thing you posted today, you're mistaken. I'm going to take @DA Baracus 's advice and stick you on ignore. Life's too short to share it with people so easily led into outright cuntery over people you've never encountered and know nothing about. 

But its fine to make completely unfounded accusations about them. I will reciprocate, you never post anything worth reading anyway.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Leave the so-called 'trans debate' alone, eh lads? Utterly toxic, driven by ignorance and prejudice on both sides. It will be a long time before anything sensible can be said that won't offend and alienate someone.

The fact that Sturgeon is willing to weaponise it tells you everything you need to know about her and her political judgement.

It's not driven by prejudice on both sides, that's an utter cop-out. It's driven by prejudice on one side, and one side only. You just can't, or won't, tell the difference between the bigotry and the fight back against it. It's all just noise to you.

You're like the eejits who say Antifa are the same as the fascists.

As for "trans debate"... do you refer to feminism as the "women debate"? Is Black Lives Matter part of the "Black debate"? There is a debate over things like gender recognition. Describing it as "the trans debate" is out of order.

Sturgeon definitely supports trans rights, but she's trying to hold the party together at a critical time. Whichever way she goes she's going to alienate a huge chunk of her party, yet she nailed her colours to the mast and called her own colleagues transphobes. Anyone who takes her words tonight at less than face value is showing nothing but their own bitter and ignorant cynicism.

Just because you're not for real, don't assume everyone else is too.

49 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

If history has shown anything it's that Scottish infighting has always cost us dearly

So people facing hostility at branch meetings and being described as mentally ill and a danger to women and children by people in their own party should just shut up and accept it?

Human rights are rarely won quietly, because there's always someone opposing them.

2 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Why is this spamming bigoted cretin not been emptied yet? Fucking hell.

Posting about the subject at hand is not spamming champ.  And you'll note, once again, a personal attack on me, several on this thread, whilst I never, ever, ever mount a personal attack against anybody.

54 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

It shows she is an incredibly intelligent and well educated person, moreso than anybody on this forum, and if she was an actual bigot would be capable of being a bit smarter about it than displaying open bigotry on a public form. Her concerns are sex based protections and freedom of speech, which she has campaigned for her entire adult life.

It also reminds people who want to attack her who they are taking on, intellectually she is a giant compared to all the people who label her a transphobe.

I actually quite enjoy your posts on the Scottish National Team threads but your stuff on here is so painful. Is there any way you could DM me beforehand if you have an oncoming fit of passion for Joanna fucking Cherry? Just so I can make sure I'm as far from P&B as possible, thanks.  

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

What has she said?

That's caused this current furore? Cherry lost her shit defending this women and attacking Twitter for suspending her over these tweets, in which she uses the Holocaust to have a go at a Jewish trans person. Cherry has given donations to her and has been a big supporter for years.

Esp3f7FXcAE81Oz.jpeg

Esp3fh2XAAAaIOS.jpeg

Esp3fQdXYAEzYLR.jpeg

Esp3fsuXMAAVKRO.jpeg

So people facing hostility at branch meetings and being described as mentally ill and a danger to women and children by people in their own party should just shut up and accept it?
Human rights are rarely won quietly, because there's always someone opposing them.
My point was general not specific. Of course that's unacceptable.
SNP, particularly Salmond v Sturgeon is imploding at wrong time.

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

My point was general not specific. Of course that's unacceptable.
SNP, particularly Salmond v Sturgeon is imploding at wrong time.

Wow

This is nothing to do with 'human rights' lol. A trans person has every single right everybody else does, identical, there isn't a single right any member of society has that trans people do not, and that is protected in law. As it should be.  

Its not like gay people in the 70's who were criminalised and discriminated against in law. That is not the case here, and people presenting it as such are lying to themselves or you. 

If anyone can name one legal right I have that a trans person does not I'll never post again....