Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

27 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

You be obtuse. The increase in inconvenience to those without a vehicle and currently able to recycle at home should be obvious.

I live in Argyll. There is no kerbside glass collection scheme. Most of the glass is taken by car to the supermarket bottle bank already (or occasionally to the council's recycling centres)

From comments above, I would suggest that this is the norm in a significant number of council areas.

10 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Taking my glass to a shop is much more accessible than two busses out to Polmadie which I obviously do not do at present.  

Not great for the shop though who have to store your glass and then lose money for handling it. That's what DRS would have meant for the shop. That's precisely what the recent court case was about with shops being unable to recover their actual costs. 

5 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

I live in Argyll. There is no kerbside glass collection scheme. Most of the glass is taken by car to the supermarket bottle bank already (or occasionally to the council's recycling centres)

From comments above, I would suggest that this is the norm in a significant number of council areas.

So the rest of us have to lose our efficient recycling collections because your council is too lazy? 😕

Ps stellar hibee, you'll find these at the end of most tenement streets in Edinburgh 🙂

https://maps.app.goo.gl/3HTQvMVccSPJtvgh9

14 minutes ago, orfc said:

So the rest of us have to lose our efficient recycling collections because your council is too lazy? 😕

Ps stellar hibee, you'll find these at the end of most tenement streets in Edinburgh 🙂

https://maps.app.goo.gl/3HTQvMVccSPJtvgh9

Where did I say that? I'm only pointing out that DRS would not have changed the journey that most Argyll empties make

56 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

I live in a flat in Edinburgh. There are no purple or green bins. Just the large all purpose bins for the chute.

14 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

Not mines and I don't live in a council area.

So you don’t live in Edinburgh?

48 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

I live in a non-council flat in Edinburgh that doesn't have recycling bins. Not sure what's confusing you here.

Okay, I live in a non-council flat in Edinburgh that does have recycling bins. The only confusion was with your incorrect statement that I initially replied to.

24 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Okay, I live in a non-council flat in Edinburgh that does have recycling bins. The only confusion was with your incorrect statement that I initially replied to.

Aye, I thought he'd found a way to avoid paying council tax for a minute there. Off grid living or something?

22 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Aye, I thought he'd found a way to avoid paying council tax for a minute there. Off grid living or something?

In that case he'd need a bin to bed down in. 

Lets be honest, while most of us are pro recycling, the idea of my wee auld ma going down the shops with all her bottles and jars was fucking stupid.

All she does now is chuck it all in the blue bin and put it out in the street every 2 weeks.

Round by me, there are bottle bins at the end of every tenement street - its no difficult.

The DRS idea does all feel like they gave a focus group mushrooms and then decided to run with the output.................... 

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I want it but make someone else pay for it.

Yes, public services are paid for via taxation. 

Are you going through some weird libertarian phase ? You'll grow out of it eventually.

I live in a tenement in Glasgow. My recycling bins have in the past month contained various kinds of food, kettles, bicycle tyres and glass bottles (they're not glass recycling bins, we don't have any). People who live here are a combination of ignorant, uncaring or non-English speaking so nobody cares. We got a food recycling bin a few years ago. It lasted about two months before they were taken away and replaced with one on the street. It's a bin on a street. People who live here aren't taking out food and separating everything and taking it out on to the street, and people walking down the street are seeing a bin. Given the amount of rubbish people throw on the street maybe I'm being cynical on this one. This is all redundant because I've never seen it actually be emptied.

Asda up the road used to have glass recycling bins in the car park. Last year when the strikes were on they piled up and then the bins got taken away and now they're gone. I don't know where they are now (I've looked at the online map, the nearest ones aren't there).

Recycling is a waste of time. Paying a private company lots of money to make shopping more expensive and recycling less convenient feels like something from Kafka, and that's before you realise 99% of everything involved is going to be burned in a Chinese landfill.