Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

13 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Existing glass levels of recycling are good in Scotland at around 70%. Councils would have scrapped their kerbside collections making it difficult for any new scheme to build on this

What kerbside collections? 

14 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Existing glass levels of recycling are good in Scotland at around 70%. Councils would have scrapped their kerbside collections making it difficult for any new scheme to build on this

"Good" isn't good enough. Anything that isn't recycled ends up in landfill. Glass isn't biodegradable, it lasts forever unless it's manually broken down. Which means the remaining 30% is continuously building up in landfill.

11 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

That figure is (IMO) total bullshit.  

I've never lived in a flat that's had a purple bin I'm sure the houses have them but I've never encountered one, only time I ever see glass recycling bins is when I visit my family who live in houses.  I don't know about anyone else?

I'm sure all the folk that live in flats definitely drive and take all their glass to the recycling centre 🤥

If my experience is representative (which it may not be) you'd need 100% compliance from every house to accommodate the inability of people staying in flats to do so.  

16 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

That figure is (IMO) total bullshit.  

I've never lived in a flat that's had a purple bin I'm sure the houses have them but I've never encountered one, only time I ever see glass recycling bins is when I visit my family who live in houses.  I don't know about anyone else?

I'm sure all the folk that live in flats definitely drive and take all their glass to the recycling centre 🤥

If my experience is representative (which it may not be) you'd need 100% compliance from every house to accommodate the inability of people staying in flats to do so.  

The figure might well be inaccurate but it came from someone involved in the manufacture of glass. Plenty of glass bins in Glasgow  for people in flats and they fill up rather quickly. Where i stay there are several within walking distance 

2 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

The figure might well be inaccurate but it came from someone involved in the manufacture of glass. Plenty of glass bins in Glasgow  for people in flats and they fill up rather quickly. Where i stay there are several within walking distance 

People living in flats don't have glass bins. 

1 minute ago, StellarHibee said:

People living in flats don't have glass bins. 

There is a very large glass bin at the end of my street and also on neighbouring streets. Whilst i don't have exclusive rights i am welcome to place empty glass here along with the other neighbours 

There is no doubt that kerbside recycling could be improved. I'm surprised that hasn't been looked at. Will Slater be picking this up?

Humphing all your glass to the corner shop to get your 20p back and them storing it through the back because they don't have reverse vending machines was always a recipe for disaster. For those who shop online and those without cars it was never really explained how DRS would work for them. Other than Circularity Scotland retaining their unredeemed deposits.

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

For... ...those without cars it was never really explained how DRS would work for them. 

I've always wondered how people without cars or computers got the full bottles home, if they are unable to return the empties.?

3 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

I've always wondered how people without cars or computers got the full bottles home, if they are unable to return the empties.?

You try carrying those empty gin bottles back after you've emptied them.

22 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

You be obtuse. The increase in inconvenience to those without a vehicle and currently able to recycle at home should be obvious.

Edited by Trogdor

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

In Edinburgh they certainly do. Massive ones beside the standard green recycling ones.

I live in a flat in Edinburgh. There are no purple or green bins. Just the large all purpose bins for the chute.

49 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

DRS won't solve that.

Taking my glass to a shop is much more accessible than two busses out to Polmadie which I obviously do not do at present.