Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

41 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It's not at all though, is it? You're obviously not going to be right 100% of the time but if you were given two people and asked to guess which one was the unionist and which one was the nationalist and all you knew was that person A supported Rangers and person B supported Montrose. If you get it tight, you win £1 million. Are you seriously saying you wouldn't immediately guess that person A is the unionist without any qualms whatsoever?

Well that's a major simplification on the issue. 

I'm a Unionist for a lot of different reasons, it's intellectually false to say these reasons are all because I'm a Rangers fan, it implies a lack of free thought which ironically comes from people who are using as I said narrow minded viewpoints. 

I dont particularly enjoy playing identity politics anyway and Rangers are completely irrelevant to discussions I have on here. I think most of the posters I've seen here that are Rangers fans hold different political opinions than me, be that Brexit or Indy or left vs right or whatever boring factional discussion people want to get involved in.. 

Especially strange that this was in response to someone posting a fact that SNP members like Sturgeon... well obviously they do, everyone knows that, it was a relatively insignificant contribution (as you were judging on the other day) and all I did was say so and now someones ranting about my football team, it's baffling that nobody thought to point out to that guy that he was going on an unrelated lowbrow tangent but instead sought to take issue with myself.

What can I say I'm held to such a high standard on here and some of you guys don't hold other people to anywhere near that standard because....ironically... you support the same political party as them. Wild. 

49 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I’d have to check how many poppy posts they had on Facebook too. That would seal it.

I'd say having a Facebook account in the first place is more indicative of what type of person someone is. 

38 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

You gonna cry ....

Yes. You've broken me with your devastating intellectual blows. You've exposed my entire character by pointing out I support Rangers. How will I ever console myself with the Union in great shape, my football team in great shape and my opps on the ropes. 

Nicola absolutely brilliant on FMQ's with her put downs.
Easily the most capable politician in the uk, pity the scottish tories,labour, liberal parties can't put up leaders as formidably efficient instead of the pathetic bunch we have.
Nicola's performance reminded me of Denis Healy's famous quote that " Debating with Geoffrey Howe was like being savaged by a dead sheep"
Clearly the "Better together" band are back together again, going by the line of questioning by the opposition leaders.

1 minute ago, Stormzy said:

Well that's a major simplification on the issue. 

I'm a Unionist for a lot of different reasons, it's intellectually false to say these reasons are all because I'm a Rangers fan, it implies a lack of free thought which ironically comes from people who are using as I said narrow minded viewpoints. 

I dont particularly enjoy playing identity politics anyway and Rangers are completely irrelevant to discussions I have on here. I think most of the posters I've seen here that are Rangers fans hold different political opinions than me, be that Brexit or Indy or left vs right or whatever boring factional discussion people want to get involved in.. 

Especially strange that this was in response to someone posting a fact that SNP members like Sturgeon... well obviously they do, everyone knows that, it was a relatively insignificant contribution (as you were judging on the other day) and all I did was say so and now someones ranting about my football team, it's baffling that nobody thought to point out to that guy that he was going on an unrelated lowbrow tangent but instead sought to take issue with myself.

What can I say I'm held to such a high standard on here and some of you guys don't hold other people to anywhere near that standard because....ironically... you support the same political party as them. Wild. 

It's a pretty intellectually weak position to basically say "You can't disagree with anything I say unless you disagree with everything similar anyone else might say". As you're constantly attempting to tell others, keep it to the point being discussed.

It was a deliberate simplification. As in, take all other factors out, is there a strong correlation between supporting Rangers and being a unionist? As the simple example showed, yes, there obviously is because anyone with even a passing knowledge of Scottish politics and football would take the bet that the Rangers fan is more likely to be the unionist very easily.

The reasons for that are obviously far more complex than that simple example and I've already said, it's not a 100% always correct rule. There are Rangers fans on here who support independence and non-Rangers fans who're unionists.

I'm not particularly interested in the history of how this discussion developed. For what it's worth I basically agree, the fact that Sturgeon is incredibly popular with SNP members isn't surprising or interesting. A simple stat was posted with no real comment, you made a simple and basically correct comment in reply. So what? Why would that be something worth commenting further on? What little there is to say has already been said.

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It's a pretty intellectually weak position to basically say "You can't disagree with anything I say unless you disagree with everything similar anyone else might say". As you're constantly attempting to tell others, keep it to the point being discussed.

It was a deliberate simplification. As in, take all other factors out, is there a strong correlation between supporting Rangers and being a unionist? As the simple example showed, yes, there obviously is because anyone with even a passing knowledge of Scottish politics and football would take the bet that the Rangers fan is more likely to be the unionist very easily.

The reasons for that are obviously far more complex than that simple example and I've already said, it's not a 100% always correct rule. There are Rangers fans on here who support independence and non-Rangers fans who're unionists.

I'm not particularly interested in the history of how this discussion developed. For what it's worth I basically agree, the fact that Sturgeon is incredibly popular with SNP members isn't surprising or interesting. A simple stat was posted with no real comment, you made a simple and basically correct comment in reply. So what? Why would that be something worth commenting further on? What little there is to say has already been said.

Well that's not my point at all, my point isn't that you cant disagree with me ffs it's just interesting the standards I get held to in relation to other posters, it's flattering tbh. 

I also think it is worth noting when I'm having a tedious discussion with someone who is blatantly making reductive points trying to play the man and not the ball that you jump in and play pedantic semantics for him, I think you're better than that and I think you knew when you initially responded that I of course do know you can guess someones politics based on their team and have a degree of success but think that in this instance it isn't correct, helpful, informative, funny or basically any other positive description.

As an aside, any time there's a strong correlation between two things, it's interesting. It's speculative but it seems pretty obvious to me what the connection is between Rangers and unionism. One of the strongest variables in determining whether someone voted Yes or No is whether they feel more Scottish or feel more British.  Rangers have always played up their unionist/British element for as long as I can remember. So either people who feel British and that is important to them are more likely to support Rangers and more likely to be a unionist due to the hidden variable of feeling strongly British. Or someone who supports Rangers is more likely to start feeling strongly British because they support Rangers.

I'm entirely comfortable being on David Hume's side on this one, reason is the slave of passions. Humans are more likely to pick a side based on how they feel and then look for arguments to back that up. That goes for nationalists and unionists alike. I think both sides also like to very strongly deny that their decisions are based largely on heart over head. the Rangers connection is a decent piece of evidence that that element of unionism is exactly heart over head. There's no good reason why Rangers fans and non-Rangers fans would reach significantly different conclusions based on a dispassionate evaluation of the arguments. So the logical conclusion is that they're not dispassionately evaluating the arguments.

Edited by Gordon EF

7 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Well that's not my point at all, my point isn't that you cant disagree with me ffs it's just interesting the standards I get held to in relation to other posters, it's flattering tbh. 

I also think it is worth noting when I'm having a tedious discussion with someone who is blatantly making reductive points trying to play the man and not the ball that you jump in and play pedantic semantics for him, I think you're better than that and I think you knew when you initially responded that I of course do know you can guess someones politics based on their team and have a degree of success but think that in this instance it isn't correct, helpful, informative, funny or basically any other positive description.

I'm not interested in the discussion you had before at all. It just caught my attention that you're trying to downplay the connection between Rangers and unionism generally, which seemed pretty ridiculous.

Edited by Gordon EF

19 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm not interested in the discussion you had before at all. It just caught my attention that you're trying to downplay the connection between Rangers and unionism generally, which seemed pretty ridiculous.

Well obviously I am when being used on an individual level presuming all of my opinions. That's not ridiculous at all. 

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

Yes. You've broken me with your devastating intellectual blows. You've exposed my entire character by pointing out I support Rangers. How will I ever console myself with the Union in great shape, my football team in great shape and my opps on the ropes. 

All in your head apart from your team,go take a cold shower in the wee small hrs to get a grasp on reality.....

P.s I'm not in the SNP sweetheart but actually in another political party but I do support Independence from a failed union of unequal's......

23 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

All in your head apart from your team,go take a cold shower in the wee small hrs to get a grasp on reality.....

P.s I'm not in the SNP sweetheart but actually in another political party but I do support Independence from a failed union of unequal's......

Save this slavering pish for your diary. 

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

We really are deeply impressed with the appearance of managerial competence

He's the political equivalent of Derek McInnes.

Everyone says "How can you sack him, he's doing a great job, a steady hand on the tiller" and then you check and realise he's actually completely underachieved for most of his tenure.