Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

56 minutes ago, paolo2143 said:

To be honest i am not sure this enquiry is going to make much of a difference to way people vote.

Let's be honest how many members on here are going to change the way they vote in May based on the AS/NS "scandal".

I know none of my close friends or workmates  have indicated they are. The only hope Unionists have is it peels enough of the soft SNP vote to stop a pro indy majority.

I remember in lead up to 2019 G.E some people seemed amazed that Boris and Tory Govt could have literally taken people outside and started shooting them in the street and their opinion poll ratings wouldn't have dipped by more than 1-2% at most.

It might be similar here in Scotland, i suspect that at least 42%-43% of population will vote for SNP no matter what. It really depends on how much below 50% it dips.

I can only see the SNP support growing after this utter debacle.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
15 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:
Genuine question 

do people genuinely believe she just completely forgot about a meeting she had where these allegations were briefed to her 

I take it you have watched none of the evidence and are lifting your take from twitter etc ?

It’s a simple question that need a simple answer . Do you believe her?

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

f**k me, Fraser asking NS to apologise for ever having trusted Salmond is a new low. 30m only to go now, finishing at 5.00

I'd say it goes to show he has f**k all left to throw at her, so basically tried to guilt-trip her into apologising for actually believing in the man until it turned out he was a lecherous beast (allegedly).

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Yea, this is the issue. Was saying to someone else but if you're Salmond or whoever then you're surely spewing at this line of questioning given it's so easily swatted away (as it has been by Sturgeon) as confusing hearsay with corroboration. This is rank amateur stuff.

Absolutely but on the balance of probabilities do you think Aberdein is telling porkies?  Hard to imagine why they'd all make that up.  It's not a criminal trial this.  You can judge what's credible and what's not.

1 hour ago, strichener said:

You clearly haven't been following the events then.  If she knew what the point of the April meeting was thennahe should have had it officially recorded as it wasn't a drop in by Salmond for a cosy chat but government business.

Thanks for this contribution of eh.. nothing.  

What was the advantage? 

Just now, tirso said:

Absolutely but on the balance of probabilities do you think Aberdein is telling porkies?  Hard to imagine why they'd all make that up.  It's not a criminal trial this.  You can judge what's credible and what's not.

If Aberdein assumed Sturgeon knew details of the allegations perhaps he didn't enlighten the First Minister as much as he thought he did.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

I think it's becoming apparent that leaning so hard into the conspiracy aspects of this was a strategically poor decision by the anti-Sturgeon camp because it the outcome is 'The SG's policy was poor and was handled poorly" and nothing more, it's going to be perceived as a pretty crushing victory for the SG.

Which, as much a fan I am, is absolutely ridiculous. 

8 minutes ago, tirso said:

The only evidence for Aberdein making this claim is his own word that the name was passed to him. Sturgeon says that the other individual involved in the meeting says the name was not divulged to him. 

It's a question of one person's word v's another. 

I agree it's hard to understand why Aberdein would lie, hence why I tend toward the idea that perhaps he discerned it for himself rather than being expressly told, or that he brought one specific event up, and that was discussed in a manner that simply served to confirm his suspicion about an identity. Remember, it's clear Salmond knew who one of the accusers was simply because he'd had to apologise for the same incident as far back as 2013.

There's also one other very plausible explanation, which I can't get into here because I reckon the mods would zap any hint of it.

Edited by Boo Khaki

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Which, as much a fan I am, is absolutely ridiculous. 

Yep. It is. The anti-Sturgeon bunch have overshot completely and it's going to lead to what should have been a significant but minor blow to the SG being effectively a free pass.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

There's a shock.

Salmond is an impressive operator but his populist instincts were overmatched by the task of setting out an economic framework for an independent Scotland. The failure to answer the currency question will be his abiding legacy and the reason he couldn't do it is because he is only politically populist his economic loyalty lies with the banks and the oil industry.

Sturgeon is basically just a manager who has no political vision at all and shows little interest in the big issues of the day. Even on the day job side of it education has been a disaster and she has failed to groom a successor the way Salmond built her up which will harm the SNP in the long term. 

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

Yep. It is. The anti-Sturgeon bunch have overshot completely and it's going to lead to what should have been a significant but minor blow to the SG being effectively a free pass.

If they had just stuck to the purpose of the inquiry. Made it all about civil service procedure and incompetence it would have been much better in the long term.

Because after that you can throw all the bullshit conspiracy theories you want about Sturgeon/Salmond. But now there is going to be an official report that is going to officially say NO COLLUSION. And Sturgeon is going to throw it in their faces every time they bring it up.