Montrose Vs Clyde - Squeeky Bum Time

Wasn't offside, assistant thought it had crossed the line. Looked tight! Fair play for the effort today from all eleven and it's the tiniest consolation we did it ourselves. Waddell was absolutely outstanding.

Fair enough, and I suspected there may have been something else afoot as there seemed to be nothing wrong with it from behind the other goal.

Montrose are clearly a decent side, but showed little of that today. Can't see them toppling either Annan or Peterhead in the play-offs based on today's evidence, although they are well-organised and Templeman will cause any defence problems.

Edit: agreed on Waddell, as well. MotM by a mile. Ridiculously aggressive and even won a few headers against Templeman.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird game. Clyde strolled through the first hour and we really failed to show up at all, with a nervous and error-strewn showing, salted by some dreadful officiating..

In the last half hour we were totally dominant, Templeman got the all important goal and Clyde were very lucky in the end to hang on for the draw- we really battered them in the last ten minutes.

As it turns out the result didn't really matter for either side and it was a real relief to get across the line.

Really hope the far side linesman's next shite is a hedgehog. Our players were furiously claiming that Goodwillie's goal was handball (impossible to tell whether the claim had merit from so far away) and there was absolutely nothing wrong with our late second goal. The worst official I have seen in a very long time- totally clueless.

Clyde were full of determination, and really dogged and well organised in defence. If a side is capable of playing like that then it's hard to see how they went into the last game in fear of the relegation play-off.

I am delighted we're in the promotion mix which is a huge achievement for Stewart Petrie and the players. Given that everyone expected us to come bottom after Hegarty was sacked, the transformation he has achieved is remarkable. There's no pressure on us- no one expected us to be in the play-offs, so hope the players go an enjoy themselves on Wednesday night against Peterhead and show what they are capable of. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Delighted with the way the season has panned out, really, and I hope work allows me to attend more games next term than I have been able to this season.

That's the worse I have felt at a Clyde game absolutely disgrace it was allowed to get to that today

It was embarrassing to see Clyde fans running into the park to celebrate finishing second bottom of the entire SPFL.

Didn't travel to Montrose. Just couldn't face it after how I felt at Forfar and against Berwick last week. Honestly can say this is the most nervous I've felt as a Clyde fan. Even more so than when we went into the Premier promotion decider against ICT a few years back (God, how far we've fallen). Having said that, I ended up sitting in Blackfriars glued to my phone for updates. Would have been as well at the game. 

Total relief now. Massive changes now required. We need someone with lower league savvy in and need a huge clear out of much of the squad. 

34 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

It was embarrassing to see Clyde fans running into the park to celebrate finishing second bottom of the entire SPFL.

Probably just relief. Can understand it, even if it's a bit cringeworthy. I did crack open a bottle of champagne to be fair. Saying that, it was in the fridge and I was looking for an excuse ! 

Probably just relief. Can understand it, even if it's a bit cringeworthy. I did crack open a bottle of champagne to be fair. Saying that, it was in the fridge and I was looking for an excuse ! 

The "relief" seemed to include congratulating and backslapping players who have performed to such a poor standard that we were in that situation.

A lack of skill I can accept. A lack of heart and determination I can't. Too many of the players had the latter.

The only thing that will be more embarrassing is if the club pay a bonus to the players for staying up.

2 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

The "relief" seemed to include congratulating and backslapping players who have performed to such a poor standard that we were in that situation.

A lack of skill I can accept. A lack of heart and determination I can't. Too many of the players had the latter.

The only thing that will be more embarrassing is if the club pay a bonus to the players for staying up.

Fair enough. I wasn't there so was only assuming 'relief' was the overriding emotion. Congratulating players is a bit odd I have to agree given the total car crash of a season we've had. 

I heartily applauded the team from the pitch not for their efforts this season, but for their effort today. Nobody hid, everybody was absolutely dead on their feet at the end. They did the minimum that's expected of them on a day when they could easily have hidden again. It is, of course, a disgrace that these performances were limited to one or two games since the start of December (the cup ties, second half v Edinburgh, home to Annan/Elgin). Now hopefully a few of them will be applauded out of the door.

I can only agree with what the Montrose fan said earlier about us looking comfortable for about an hour before they freshened things up and penned us in. Throughout the game their centre midfield pushed high up the pitch and made it easy for us to play the ball into Goodwillie/Gormley. If Johnston wasn't a diabolical footballer we'd have got a second.

I'm not really sure why we didn't make a couple of changes ourselves; Johnston was dreadful throughout, Higgins/McLaughlin were falling deeper and deeper and Gormley could hardly run at one point. Ultimately, we stood up to them in the end but the bit of bad luck with the equaliser (some terrific last ditch blocks not falling our way to clear) was perhaps cancelled out with the disallowed goal (albeit the linesman undeniably had a much better view than I did).

I praised Waddell earlier and I'll do so again now. Absolutely magnificent. He's been on the verge of that in the other games in fairness but ended up gifting a goal away. Gourlay was also terrific and both of them go back to Dundee with our gratitude for the role they've played in keeping us up. McNeil and McMillan also played well. No doubt we're much better with Smith and Perry nowhere near the team.

McGovern was decent (always takes a huge amount of responsibility), the other two in centre midfield tried hard but failed to overly influence what will hopefully be their final appearance in Clyde shirts. Gormley and Goodwillie did okay; Gormley is one of the very few who can only their heads high since the slump started (just as well, as he was atrocious when we were playing well).

I hope we never go through that again, at least not in this league. Spending the last two weeks at the football basically watching my phone isn't fun at all.

What was the crowd today ? Montrose seemed to be expecting a really good turnout. 
How many Clyde fans made the trip ?

1324 apparently, quite poor considering.

McGovern was decent (always takes a huge amount of responsibility), the other two in centre midfield tried hard but failed to overly influence what will hopefully be their final appearance in Clyde shirts.

I think McGovern is spared a lot of criticism because, like Flynn, he hasn't played until recently.

Before his injury, I thought he was slow and deliberate but could, if given space, create.

That has not changed after his return. However, I do think that he only looks good in comparison with the other midfielders that were on the pitch with him today.

Both Higgins and McLaughlin are two of the poorest midfielders that I have ever seen playing for Clyde. This is no exaggeration.

Higgins always disappears from the first minute until the last (unusually today he had a shot to remind us that he was on the field). He seems never to be near the opposing player or the ball.

McLaughlin? I think I've made my position clear in previous posts.

How both of these players get a game before Lochhead I'll never understand.

I also thought the two Dundee players were really good today especially Waddell who was exceptional.

If Goodwillie's overhead kick had went in, I think I'd still be in orbit.

Roll on next season when I'm sure we'll win the league.

Archived