CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, AgentDaleCooper said:

Dont understand - is this a request, a question or a demand? Or has there been an announcement somewhere I cant see?

It was a demand (and a terrible attempt at patter). Sincerest apologies.

Getting guys from that level, of that quality, who're full-time is absolutely outstanding and the ability to attract this kind of player is precisely why I've never joined with the '4th place is unsalvageable patter'; and even less with the absolutely risible criticism which Lennon's received after only the briefest of time's in the hotseat.

You get guys like Lennon and Moore... They're the absolute cream of experienced, available gaffers for a club like us. This is what we've been missing out on while apologising for players for ten years. Talking pish about recovery pace; creating cults around John Sweeney; kidding-on like our managers couldn't do better.

You're talking about one or two more players, maybe; a really good centre-mid and a forward. And then I'd fancy we could beat any team in this league. And probably with a level of consistency that not many others could. The underestimation of a player like Goodwillie, when 'unleashed' by having good a team around him will be borne out over the next month.

Didn't expect those signings when I woke up this morning. You'd hope they've got a bit of quality and regardless, they'll bring full-time fitness which is always a boost.

Still seems a bit bizarre that these guys are trekking up here to play part-time football when there must be a dozen teams down south who would have them. The only part-time team who occasionally get an English loanee up here is Annan, with Carlisle just being down the road. I wonder if this is part of some bigger picture.

By the way...!

What should be gob-smackingly obvious to everyone by now is that under Lennon, long-term, we'll be playing with a straightforward, old-fashioned 4-4-2. That is clearly what he's gunning for; every signing gives it away. I'm talking: width given by proper wingers; full-backs that don't let anything by them; meat-and-gravy centre-backs with a wee bit of 'sweeping' quality; a big man and a wee man up front. Lots of pace, ball-carriers... There's yer dinner. It'll make for good football.

To me, the only weakness we'd then have would be in the middle of park. I can't believe it's still there...! But it is. If we'd a more mobile Nicoll... Or a bigger Cuddihy... we could really relax. I don't know how you get comfy with a four across the middle and our squad. You just can't quite calibrate it correctly.

Archived