CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

16 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Nicol needs to play centre midfield. Problem solved

That'd be the worst of both worlds, to be honest. Aye: you'd get a bit of grit and presence in midfield but, as things are, what we'd lose at the back would far, far outweigh the benefit we'd see from having him in midfield.

You'll get to see for yourself, I expect. Chapman probably will play him in midfield again. And while he'll read the game well and win the ball the odd time, he'll often be chasing shadows, getting booked and generally frustrating spectators in between.

Still gutted that Allan Jenkins went to Hurlford. What a miss. They must be paying a pretty penny down there.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If nicol gets a run in centre mid and has a young pair o legs beside him that might work,If hes doesnt get the young legs and boots or even tackles the opposition that will be one more than last season!!

Re AJ, Stef mccluskey away to pollok from alloa-who have a chairman with extra coin. Answers that Question esp when you read Chris smith away to cambuslang rangers (Provisional junior team)

For the first 25-30 mins of the game tonight I feared for us. We did not look comfortable with the formation at all and Airdrie gave us a bit of a run around. I am not convinced we have the fullbacks for that system. However as the game progressed we just got better and better. Turned from looking like a long night, into a cracking game. Defence looked a little better although Breslin still looks suspect and maybe should switch with Bradley. Midfield looks better with Nicol in it. Forwards for me were quiet tonight. Subs done ok with Ferguson doing well and the left sided centre half had couple of good challenges. Also pinged a few good balls about. Only another friendly but really enjoyable and gives me hope for the start of the season.

I think we learnt a lot more about one side than the other today. 

First half was dreadful to watch. Clyde contributed almost nothing offensively with the midfield trio completely out of the game, whilst Airdrie passed the ball around but only had one long range shot that Currie saved well. Good couple of corner kicks from Miller and a free header for Gormley gave us the lead.

Second half we got a second pretty much straight away when Bradley's rubbish cross was somehow dropped into his own net by the Airdrie goalie, under no pressure at all. The kind of error you wish we'd saved for the league season. After that came a host of substitutions and with Nicoll into midfield and Ferguson, Wright and what I assume was Burbridge playing higher up we had a bit more attacking threat and got a penalty for a foul on Wright by Tim Krul which Wright himself stuck away. Got caught on the break for a consolation that a better 'keeper would have saved.

Paterson was better when further forward once Nicoll was moved into midfield. I liked him last time he was at Clyde but I'm not convinced he's worth signing given we have Miller and Flynn. I like the positions that Wright took up, and was pleased with Ferguson's confidence. Can't really read much more against what was a genuinely disinterested Airdrie team but I think we'll need to stick with 3 at the back if we don't sign a bigger centre half. Need a burst of pace and a bit of quality from somewhere.

43 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

No doubt SL Clyde but some of these clubs are what i would call provisional (Arthurlie and Cambuslang)

Anyway No game 14th oct. Any clues...Looking to book a wee down south trip

Provisional?

Archived