CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

A step up in class of opposition today and all our weaknesses from our first two friendly matches were exposed again. Up front poor, couldn't hold the ball up and created nothing in front of goal. Midfield left chasing shadows most of the game with only ferguson having a few good moments. At the back thought mcniff held us together but was up against it with what he had beside him. The trialists had limited time but thought the wee winger did ok and the left back and centre half did nothing wrong. Trialist keeper didn't look to clever. Need to improve for next week.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Positives; Stewart looks a passable left back. Front two and goalkeeper, the toughest two positions to fill, are capable. There's a number of other teams who look equally rubbish at this stage (Cowden, Berwick. Annan).

Negatives; Nothing to report from the trialists except possibly the winger. We know not to play 442 with our current range of central midfielders. Breslin's inability to defend a long ball (I've rarely seen a centre half who lets the ball bounce twice!). Bradley given the absolute run around against admittedly a good player.

I don't think there's much criticism of Chapman; I'm sure he'd have put together a better squad if given the ability to do so. There's absolutely nothing wrong with negativity when we're fielding a poor team who won't be anywhere near the top of a poor division though. Saying we have until the end of August makes absolutely no sense; the season starts next Saturday (no trialists allowed) and we're not really restricted by transfer windows anyway.

Pre season friendlies shouldnt be open door in my opinion to allow manager to try different things(Admitted midweek game was set up to defend side o game) without too much negativity though bit worrying lack of signings ready to start either due to funds available or JC not panicking and does have till end o august i suppose per previous OS interview.....

Going to watch Pre season friendlies total waste of time mean next to nothing
Agree bit worrying lack of numbers but plenty time till start of league season but finance is the real problem reading the interview could be to me he hasn't got the budget he thought he had
But give the guy a chance

We played a team that have just been relegated from championship who are no doubt favourites to return i guess...

I mentioned that im worried about lack of signings ready to start when required and i dont agree with JCs strategy of waiting till end o aug either but need to trust him & hope hes got things going on in background....

Roll on berwick. Couldnt give a flying about league cup though no doubt will be there at a few

Looked a thriller and really pleased we managed to get in their half at least three times one question was that our first choice goalkeeper that flapped the corner for Raith second goal ?

1 minute ago, cfcuk said:

Looked a thriller and really pleased we managed to get in their half at least three times one question was that our first choice goalkeeper that flapped the corner for Raith second goal ?

I honestly haven't a clue.

This is the team sheet if it helps.

DENWSG9XYAE-LOi.jpg

Appreciate the highlights package provided by Rovers. If nothing else, it minces the claim made by some that McNiff done alright or held the defence together. What would possess anyone to say that, I don't know. There's a good three, maybe four instances of abysmally weak defending from him in there; counterweighed by maybe one decent stop. And those were just highlights, you understand.

Someone mentioned trying Breslin at right-back. I'd like to see that given a go if McNeil's away. Which you've got to think he will be now. Breslin on the right. Stewart on the left. Nicoll and Bradley in the middle. I'd worry about the mobility of the centre halves, but if they're protected by the midfield - they won't be; not at all - they should just be battering it back into midfield, being big lads. With a four, we've at least got Ferguson and Wright (meh) to stretch things; hug the lines, carry it, put crosses in.

Centre of the park but. We're really weak in there. Chapman was playing Gavin Skelton in there with Annan last time he took them to Broadwood! We've got to hope that he done so out of desperation, I suppose.

14 hours ago, cfcuk said:

Personally seen quite a few positives over the past couple of friendlies, but I do have a few points. 
- Nicoll in the middle is a worry, seeing as he couldn't even trap the ball. I thought the 3-5-2 was worked well, as much as big Nicoll was dicey at CM he's definitely an organiser, and the same as everyone else on here I'd rather see Bradley on the right of the 3 rather than Breslin. 
- Ideally McNeil would stay and fill that right wing back berth, or even play as the defensive midfielder with Miller and Flynn ahead of him. 
- I liked wee Max Wright too, surely in the 3-5-2 him and DGW would be better suited as a front pair as opposed to DGW/DG. 
- Darren Ramsay was on pitch in kit with Lowden before the game too, I'd imagine if we get him in he could play as the right wing back (sure I seen him play as a wing back for Annan at some point). 
- Good to see wee Fergie play with a bit more confidence too, although it's hard to see him fit into the 3-5-2 as I don't think he's sound enough defensively. 
- A 4-4-2 with Fergie/Ramsay out wide, Wright/DGW up front and Miller/Flynn at centre midfield is also pretty appealing to me as at stands. 
- On the new signings, I like Currie. Fair enough he flapped for the OG yesterday but other than that he looks assured and no nonsense. Hopefully with a more solid keeper the back four can relax a wee bit rather than play like nervous wrecks. Stewart looks good, and we know about Miller and Wright already. The wee winger looked nippy but hasn't seen enough game time for me to have a proper opinion. Ramsay surely the better option there. Trialist keepers have all been absolutely shocking.
- Anyway apologies for the ramble.

After only seeing the games against the two Rovers, I think we really need an aggressive centre half.
I've not been impressed with McNiff and Breslin. I realise it's early days for that partnership but they appear weak and easily beaten.

I think like most of us I am more that a little conserned, glad JC is looking to getting a CH but have to say that the midfield is way, way short of being competitive. 

Personally I could never see what some others seen in Kevin Nichol, but willing to give him a few games only on the fact that most fans who watched him with their sides liked him. My opinion based on his previous stint with us is that his touch is very poor for a holding midfield player, let alone his lack of pace. We will see an d I will be delighted to be proven wrong. Am I being harsh, but is Bradley another Perry? 

Creativity?  as ever; where will that come from? Again hope JC has a loan or two or better still permanent signing who has a touch and can pass a ball, we will depend heavily on Goodwillie so decent service to his feet in dangerous areas is a must for us.

Finally, for those who are still indulging my rant; what is the score with McNeil? Could and is a big player for us....very hard for a team like us to replace, disappointed if we lose him.

22 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

[...] the midfield is way, way short of being competitive. 

Personally I could never see what some others seen in Kevin Nichol, but willing to give him a few games only on the fact that most fans who watched him with their sides liked him. My opinion based on his previous stint with us is that his touch is very poor for a holding midfield player, let alone his lack of pace. We will see an d I will be delighted to be proven wrong. Am I being harsh, but is Bradley another Perry? [...].

I think you're spot on. Nicoll will take much more than he gives in the middle of the park. He's not agile enough; not quick enough; and his technical skills probably aren't good enough for that job. I'm glad we're approaching a consensus on this before the season kicks-off. I hope that means we won't tolerate it for long once it has. The only thing Nicoll will give us which Miller and Flynn won't is the occasional break-of-the-ball and 50-50 win. Basically, his size does that for him. That's not a valueless thing, of course, but I just think, like others, that the best trade-off is having him at the back, organising a three. Or maybe a two, beside Bradley.

Re Bradley. No, I don't think he's another Perry. You watched him play against a very good, fast and experienced full-time player yesterday. He's a centre-half, not a right-back, but played as a right-back yesterday. That notwithstanding, he done far better than Phil Johnstone would have. And, in the other friendlies, he's held-up quite well against his opposite numbers. But we'll see I suppose. I tell you why he's definitely not another Perry. By the time the season is out, he'll have had about as much contiguous senior experience as Perry. Despite, that is, being something like ten years younger.

Archived