Greenock Morton v Dundee United, The Shanfest Part VI

Hopefully United get through this, then beat Falkirk to set them up lovely to get an absolute pumping from the premiership team in the final just as they're getting their wee hopes up.

That would be the ideal scenario, just a shame they won't get that far:(

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully United get through this, then beat Falkirk to set them up lovely to get an absolute pumping from the premiership team in the final just as they're getting their wee hopes up.

That would be the ideal scenario, just a shame they won't get that far:(

Honestly, I think the superiority of the Premiership side is being overplayed. I recognise Motherwell and Kilmarnock performances the last couple of years but I also remember Hamilton,s too.

I am far from confident but I'd Falkirk were to make the final against Hamilton or ICT, I would think we would have a realistic chance. Not so sure about the Well.

I,d like to think we have learned from the mistakes of last years final.

Honestly, I think the superiority of the Premiership side is being overplayed. I recognise Motherwell and Kilmarnock performances the last couple of years but I also remember Hamilton,s too.

I am far from confident but I'd Falkirk were to make the final against Hamilton or ICT, I would think we would have a realistic chance. Not so sure about the Well.

I,d like to think we have learned from the mistakes of last years final.

I don't think it is tbh. If I was a Morton/United/Falkirk fan i'd be hoping to play Hamilton because I think that's the only chance (bar a major upset) you would have if winning the final. The likelihood is that it will be Motherwell who finish in 11th and imo they'd just be too strong for a championship side. Don't get me wrong, you'd still have a chance but I think the gulf between championship and premiership is quite substantial.

I don't think it is tbh. If I was a Morton/United/Falkirk fan i'd be hoping to play Hamilton because I think that's the only chance (bar a major upset) you would have if winning the final. The likelihood is that it will be Motherwell who finish in 11th and imo they'd just be too strong for a championship side. Don't get me wrong, you'd still have a chance but I think the gulf between championship and premiership is quite substantial.

I guess we will know in a couple of weeks. There's certainly an indication of a gap from the last couple of seasons, so if it happens again this season, I will accept that the gap is bigger than I currently think it really is.

5 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Although Hibs have pumped nearly every top flight side they've played over the past couple of seasons and yet could only come 3rd lasts season and have struggled at times this season against teams in the championship.

9 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:
Although Hibs have pumped nearly every top flight side they've played over the past couple of seasons and yet could only come 3rd lasts season and have struggled at times this season against teams in the championship.

Hibs also have one of the biggest budgets in the country and blow many top flight teams out the water in terms of that. Rangers were in there last year and they have the 2nd biggest budget in the country. Hibs collapsed last year and were pipped to second place by Falkirk who massively overachieved and i'm sure you would admit that. The general standard of the championship is lower than that of the premiership, it's not even an argument.

Inverness (rooted bottom of the premiership) beat mid table Dunfermline 5-1 in the cup. Shock results will happen from time to time, you can't use that to say that the leagues are of equal standard, because they're not.

14 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

We have beaten Motherwell, Hamilton and also Kilmarnock in the league cup over the last two seasons. We would have nothing to fear if we get that far.

1 minute ago, IainMorton said:

We have beaten Motherwell, Hamilton and also Kilmarnock in the league cup over the last two seasons. We would have nothing to fear if we get that far.

And neither you should. Over 2 legs is a different story, though and its been proven in previous years with Hamilton being the only team to come up through the play-off's. Like I said, of course you would have a chance, but if I was to gamble, my money would be on the premiership team.

Without trying to wind any Ton fan up, finishing 4th, you lot have absolutely zero chance of promotion. 

Even with us winning the 2nd place trophy, I don't fancy our chances to go over 4 ties. To do it over 6, with playing away from home on the decider in every tie? Nae chance.

But the play-offs are a gid laugh I suppose.

7 minutes ago, JinkyBairn said:

Without trying to wind any Ton fan up, finishing 4th, you lot have absolutely zero chance of promotion. 

Even with us winning the 2nd place trophy, I don't fancy our chances to go over 4 ties. To do it over 6, with playing away from home on the decider in every tie? Nae chance.

I think Morton'd have a shot if they'd secured fourth place with a bit of momentum, ie after a late charge. But their form, and obvious injury problems, are likely to count against them.

14 minutes ago, JinkyBairn said:

Without trying to wind any Ton fan up, finishing 4th, you lot have absolutely zero chance of promotion

That's not exactly true is it. It'll be much more difficult but there is not 'zero' chance of it.

It makes it a lot harder to come up playing 6 games, but it certainly isn't impossible. If the Western Bulldogs can win the Aussie Rules championship this year after finishing 7th in the league, either us or Morton can do this.

(With apologies to this of you who hate/don't know about/don't care about Aussie Rules).

Just now, Scosha said:

That's not exactly true is it. It'll be much more difficult but there is not 'zero' chance of it.

Apologies Scosha sir, should of put 'imo' after it as it clearly wasn't a fact I wasn't stating. Tit.

59 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

And neither you should. Over 2 legs is a different story, though and its been proven in previous years with Hamilton being the only team to come up through the play-off's. Like I said, of course you would have a chance, but if I was to gamble, my money would be on the premiership team.

There's only been 3 seasons of Playoffs so not exactly years of historical evidence to prove your point.. If the Championship club goes up this season, its 50/50.

On your general point, i don't think there is that big a gulf. If you look at Cup games between clubs from the bottom 6 and the top 4 in the Championship this season;

Killie v Morton Championship Win.

ICT V Dundee United. Draw.

St Johnstone v Falkirk Premiership Win.

Hamilton v Morton. Championship Win

Dundee United v Partick. Championship Win.

Ross County v Dundee United. Premiership Win.

So 2 Premiership wins, 3 Championship and 1 draw. The Championship club will have a good chance regardless who they play IMO.

They seem to have really struggled. Only winning the league by 11....yes 11 POINTS and nearly double the goal difference of the nearest contender.

fca405f840d15b248f573383653bbaad.jpg

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Might as well add our win at Dens to that list, though I realise we're not top four.

Not really, because ICT also beat Dunfemline off the top of my head. There's probably more.

Archived