Greenock Morton v Dundee United, The Shanfest Part VI

I'm feeling pretty relaxed about this when I should really be shitting myself. Our form being so bad has stopped any excitement being generated but has bizarrely stopped me being particularly worried either: I think because it's such a ridiculous notion that a team who are nine games without a win could then go and win three two-legged ties in three weeks I'm just able to go into it with no expectations, until tomorrow at least.

All our games with Dundee United and Falkirk have been tight and a fringe starting eleven for us never looked like losing to United's first team on Saturday so there is cause for optimism there in that we know we are good enough to beat both of them on our day and even in this terrible run of form we still avoided defeat against them, but again, nine games without a win. This time tomorrow I'll probably be climbing the walls but for now I'm not that bothered.

Quitongo to appear in the 89th minute of the second leg to fire us through after the Undertaker's music hits, please.

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I'm feeling pretty relaxed about this when I should really be shitting myself. Our form being so bad has stopped any excitement being generated but has bizarrely stopped me being particularly worried either: I think because it's such a ridiculous notion that a team who are nine games without a win could then go and win three two-legged ties in three weeks I'm just able to go into it with no expectations, until tomorrow at least.

All our games with Dundee United and Falkirk have been tight and a fringe starting eleven for us never looked like losing to United's first team on Saturday so there is cause for optimism there in that we know we are good enough to beat both of them on our day and even in this terrible run of form we still avoided defeat against them, but again, nine games without a win. This time tomorrow I'll probably be climbing the walls but for now I'm not that bothered.

Quitongo to appear in the 89th minute of the second leg to fire us through after the Undertaker's music hits, please.

I feel the same. For a United perspective, I think it's daft that a team who have won four games in 2017, and none away from home in five months, still have a shot of promotion. I'm quite relaxed because I am 99% sure we are not going up. We just aren't very good.

3 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I feel the same. For a United perspective, I think it's daft that a team who have won four games in 2017, and none away from home in five months, still have a shot of promotion. I'm quite relaxed because I am 99% sure we are not going up. We just aren't very good.

I'd be interested to know what our cumulative "January to May" record since 2014 would be.

I suspect it's utterly shite. 

7 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Don't worry champ, there's absolutely fucking no chance of it happening. You lost three times in a row to the Pars - that makes up a quarter of our wins for the full season.

Lets not kid ourselves, It took horrendous mistakes from our defence and keeper to beat us. We put 2 goals on a plate for you in the first game at EEP and Gats gave you a freebie in your win at Cappielow. We played really poor in that game yet you needed a howler from us to get the win.

We haven't made as many obvious mistakes this whole season as we have against you lot.

Morton's recent form has been bemusing. Ever since they beat us 1-0 they seem to have switched off. There was quite a big build up to that game and its as if Morton thought right we've beaten them thats second placed sorted and then couldn't get going again. Certainly been a difficult team for us to play. Very solid and stuffy side whereas against United you always fancy yourselves to get a few goals.

No, the win in Grangemouth effectively secured our play-off spot, which has been the stated target of Duffy throughout the season. Which is why, consciously or not, the squad hasn't applied the same intensity during the last quarter of the season. It's similar to what has happened to Tony Pulis' West Brom.

Our excellent performance at Easter Road in late March and the fact that we've rested players over the past few weeks offer plausible grounds to expect a decent showing in the playoffs. I'm not convinced that will win out over the loss of form and confidence suffered by a young and inexperienced Morton side though.

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

No, the win in Grangemouth effectively secured our play-off spot, which has been the stated target of Duffy throughout the season. Which is why, consciously or not, the squad hasn't applied the same intensity during the last quarter of the season. It's similar to what has happened to Tony Pulis' West Brom.

Our excellent performance at Easter Road in late March and the fact that we've rested players over the past few weeks offer plausible grounds to expect a decent showing in the playoffs. I'm not convinced that will win out over the loss of form and confidence suffered by a young and inexperienced Morton side though.

It also put you in poll position for 2nd at that point I would've said. I thought our chances of second went out the window that day to be honest. At least with West Brom they had hee haw else to go for but 2nd makes a big difference.

8 hours ago, LargsTON said:

We've certainly been awful recently but we played some fantastic football during the bulk of the season. The key is whether or not Duffy can find some way of rejuvenating the squad.

Which team do you manage? Your insightful knowledge of the game is......................................................................................................................FUCKING TEDIOUS! :lol:

Which team do you manage? Your insightful knowledge of the game is......................................................................................................................FUCKING TEDIOUS! [emoji38]

I don't think you're in a position to comment on anyone's credibility seeing as you're a laughing stock amongst all other supporters including your own. Helmet.

19 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

I don't think you're in a position to comment on anyone's credibility seeing as you're a laughing stock amongst all other supporters including your own. Helmet.

And I should give a f**k because.............................................................................................? Twat! :thumsup2

Get them pumped Utd. We'll draw 1-1 at your gaff then give you the standard 3-0 shagging at TFS.

I don't want Falkirk going into the return leg at home chasing a deficit. I can't see us dealing with a team defending a lead at TFS.

If you ask me, Dundee United will be more dangerous at Tannadice with a big crowd than Morton at Cappielow. So, with respect to Morton, I'd rather face them.

Archived