Stranraer FC 2017-18

On 26/05/2017 at 12:53, mickmoorejnr said:

A think he was referring to amadou kazzarate. Doc would be a brilliant signing and replacement if Dick was to move to another club. Good news from the club to go into the south of Scotland league this season. Hope we stay in the league for years to come and stay clear of the 20s league which has been a waste of time if am being truthfully honest. 

I don't think STUART WILD, who came in as a coach after the turn of the year

and set such high standards that the Under-20s finished well above the bottom-

place finish occupied the previous season, will look upon the league as a 

waste of time. He will have a good pre-season in place, warm-up games and

new signings identified, either through watching Under-19 games ( which has

been going on) or using his extensive list of contacts. I have known him long

enough to realise that lack of progression won't be tolerated in any shape or 

form.

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 28/05/2017 at 06:41, Mattmc said:

Good call!

Belford

Hamill Neill Lang

Robertson                   Dick/Docherty (if Dick leaves, please)

Bell   Thomson

Agnew

Wallace Woods

Not too bad a side considering how early it is. Obviously still need to resolve the issue of a left back. Still needing a couple of forwards especially if Woods is more of a midfielder.

I watched a lot of Paul Woods when he played at Petershill. Better coming in

or out as a wide player. I have watched quite a few after-match clips of Faz

being interviewed and he comes across as being very professional. I would 

imagine his training sessions and team talks would confirm my opinion. He

certainly turned the team around with the type of form/and points won which

if it had happened earlier in the season would have put Stranraer into the 

play-off stakes. Some promising signings already on board in my opinion.

22 hours ago, Car54wherareyou said:

Quite sure we'll sign a couple of width players  before long,also I would expect Kyle Turner to be starting this season.Hopefully the wee man will be physically stronger after the summer,the reason given last season was experience was needed to save our League 1 status,so hence was played sparingly,no such problems at the start of next season,so I would be disappointed if he wasn't a first choice pick.

Kyle Turner is the type of good, young Scottish talent who could go on

to attract the attention of an SPL club. With the Under-20s now in good

hands and the added bonus of a South of Scotland League squad emerging,

it can only benefit Faz and the first team going forward next season.

It's weird how he's past his best but still was comfortably your top scorer by 9 goals last season with 18 goals? Doesn't seem like a player who should be dropping out of professional leagues.

He's certainly not the player he once was but still worth a few goals.

Spent a lot of the season up top on his own and ran himself into the ground every game.

With regards to dropping out the professional league, he was heavily linked with Ek after turning down a deal at Stranraer. Didn't sign a new contract because he wanted to be closer to his family.

Stranraer training would of actually been closer but suppose if it's to do with kids it's more about Saturdays.

5 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

It's weird how he's past his best but still was comfortably your top scorer by 9 goals last season with 18 goals? Doesn't seem like a player who should be dropping out of professional leagues.

Probably explains why we spent most of the season in or about the bottom two. only managing to pull away in the last couple of games, there was of course multiple reasons for this (I'm looking at you Brian Reid) but a decent strike force was one of them.

Malky will give you his all when he plays, but it's not always that productive.

http://stranraerfc.org/index.php/latest-news/803-stuart-millar-returns

Stuart Millar returns to the club. Seems like a new role. Gentleman and seems well respected in football.
Welcome back Stuart.

Aitken was glowing in his praise for Millar in a recent interview with Sons TV. He highlighted his unsung work behind the scenes, in particular his contacts in obtaining loan signings.

I was rather hoping he might turn up at Somerset after leaving Dumbarton but alas not...

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 20:23, coach said:

I watched a lot of Paul Woods when he played at Petershill. Better coming in

or out as a wide player.

He played wide many times for Queen's but I always thought he was better playing just behind the forward(s) Was superb for us in League 2 and his goals were a big reason we got promoted. Not as influential in League 1 for us by his high standards, and really struggled to get goals. Only 1 league goal before his fall out with Gus in February but he was still first pick every week due to his hard work and creativity.

Get him taking the penalties  

1 hour ago, Mick1867 said:

He played wide many times for Queen's but I always thought he was better playing just behind the forward(s) Was superb for us in League 2 and his goals were a big reason we got promoted. Not as influential in League 1 for us by his high standards, and really struggled to get goals. Only 1 league goal before his fall out with Gus in February but he was still first pick every week due to his hard work and creativity.

Get him taking the penalties  

Thats an excellent summing up on Paul. I also watched him a lot in training at Petershill

on the nights I took their goalkeepers for coaching/workouts, and he trained the way he played...

nothing less that 100%. I have watched many an after-match interview featuring the manager

and I am sure his obvious professionalism can only be good for Stranraer moving on next season.

And that is a shrewd move bringing STUART MILLAR back to the club. Know him from the

great season when they won promotion under him and Neil Watt. Big blow to Dumbarton

losing him!

Quite sure we'll sign a couple of width players  before long,also I would expect Kyle Turner to be starting this season.Hopefully the wee man will be physically stronger after the summer,the reason given last season was experience was needed to save our League 1 status,so hence was played sparingly,no such problems at the start of next season,so I would be disappointed if he wasn't a first choice pick.

Don't know how I overlooked Turner. Thin Faz will have a bit of headache in the centre of the pitch.

Archived