Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Asked the question on the Falkirk forum about Balatoni coming to Ayr and a Falkirk fan says he has heard the deal is done for him to come back, hope he's right.

Shankland came off with an apparent injury and McCall 'hopes' he'll be fit for Stranraer and admits that at 2-0 he was looking ahead to the Stranraer game.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Asked the question on the Falkirk forum about Balatoni coming to Ayr and a Falkirk fan says he has heard the deal is done for him to come back, hope he's right.
Shankland came off with an apparent injury and McCall 'hopes' he'll be fit for Stranraer and admits that at 2-0 he was looking ahead to the Stranraer game.

Really? I thought Balatoni would be a long shot. Always makes me wonder where fans here this stuff from.

Reminds me of last year when a fan said Goodwillie was going to sign for us because he apparently saw his car at Somerset Park.

1 minute ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Really? I thought Balatoni would be a long shot. Always makes me wonder where fans here this stuff from.

Reminds me of last year when a fan said Goodwillie was going to sign for us because he apparently saw his car at Somerset Park.

Hope the guy is right and not just talking shite.

No idea what kind of wage Robinson and Balatoni would require but I’m guessing they’d be up there in this league.

Earlier on McCall said he had enough cash left for emergency loans so where is this money coming from?

Is it 2 in and 2 out or has Cameron realised we need to recruit and has given McCall more funds?

No mention on any injury news for players coming back. Geggan looks destined to miss Tuesday considering he's come off injured in back to back games.

Shankland now seems a doubt but we need Crawford and Docherty back for Tuesday unless we'll seriously struggle to beat Stranraer in my opinion, which is a must win.

Crawford injury is starting to turn into a Craig Moore saga, been out 5 weeks now and it seems to be that every week he'll be back the next then it comes and goes with him still out.

Mgc1910, interesting to hear that the Forfar manager agrees with me that they rode their luck in the second half.  It may normally be "a last resort"to talk about luck  but not in that game. I've seen them playing worse and winning this season , just luck I suppose.  That result WAS a one off freak. Doesn't make it any easier to take, but it WAS. The defence HAS been pretty woeful all season except for one run of 5 clean sheets in 7 games (I think). To win the league we definitely need to strengthen it. 

You can go on all you like about McCall and poor subs (maybe aye, maybe naw, I believe Shankland was carrying an injury ), about our leaky defence (agreed), our unreliable goalie (agreed), the fact remains that we were unlucky not to win that game. Not just unlucky.  Ridiculously unlucky.   I assume you agree there are games this season we have been lucky to win. Possibly QP and Albion Rovers at home recently.  Luck does play a part in football, or any sport for that matter. 

I don't know and don't care if you're part of the anti McCall brigade, but they are quick to point out how lucky we've been even when winning well.  Some were saying we were lucky to beat East Fife recently., despite winning 4-1.  OK, we were lucky to be just 1 down at half time (could have been 2 or 3 with a bit of LUCK for EF) but beat them well in the second half.  Even Gilmour had a good half for God's sake. So their point of view seems to be  that we are lucky when winning but crap when losing. and it's all down to McCall who knows a lot less about football than them. 

Don't you just love the delusional nature of football fans.  Even Man United supporters used to go on about how "naive" Ferguson had been in his tactics and substitutions in some games. You got the impression that If only they had been in charge they would have won the league and Champions League every season.  You couldn't make it up.

1 minute ago, somerset_lad00 said:

No idea what kind of wage Robinson and Balatoni would require but I’m guessing they’d be up there in this league.

Earlier on McCall said he had enough cash left for emergency loans so where is this money coming from?

Is it 2 in and 2 out or has Cameron realised we need to recruit and has given McCall more funds?

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Craig Reid go, hasn't lived up to it and has been disappointing plus probably isn't happy at the lack of game time. Would have thought he'd be on a decent wage so if he was to go that would help free up cash for Balatoni, if he's coming to us which i doubt.

13 minutes ago, rb123! said:

No mention on any injury news for players coming back. Geggan looks destined to miss Tuesday considering he's come off injured in back to back games.

Shankland now seems a doubt but we need Crawford and Docherty back for Tuesday unless we'll seriously struggle to beat Stranraer in my opinion, which is a must win.

Crawford injury is starting to turn into a Craig Moore saga, been out 5 weeks now and it seems to be that every week he'll be back the next then it comes and goes with him still out.

Have you not heard about the problems Stranraer have at the minute? They will be lucky not to lose a game until the under 20s have settled in. 

4 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Have you not heard about the problems Stranraer have at the minute? They will be lucky not to lose a game until the under 20s have settled in. 

Yes i have actually heard their dodgy financial position and was pleased last night when i saw Ryan Wallace is off to Arbroath, we should beat Stranraer on Tuesday but saying that we SHOULD have beaten Forfar today and look what happened.

Plus Stranraer will be rolling out the red carpet for us on Tuesday as our fantastic away support will contribute heavily to them being able to pay the bills.

I know that the general consensus among Ayr fans last season was that Scott McKenna was a bit of a donkey. Where was he playing and was he playing alongside similarly inexperienced players? Since he came into the Aberdeen first team at Motherwell in September he has been a stand out. Early on he would always play the easy pass, but as the games have built up so has his confidence in his ability. Whatever happened last season at Ayr has obviously worked fir him and Aberdeen!

I know that the general consensus among Ayr fans last season was that Scott McKenna was a bit of a donkey. Where was he playing and was he playing alongside similarly inexperienced players? Since he came into the Aberdeen first team at Motherwell in September he has been a stand out. Early on he would always play the easy pass, but as the games have built up so has his confidence in his ability. Whatever happened last season at Ayr has obviously worked fir him and Aberdeen!

Played centre half for us in both spells. Last season he was pretty decent but made a couple of errors resulting in giving away cheap goals. Namely two penalties away at Dunfermline and Falkirk.

His last game was away at Hibs in the Scottish Cup when he got sent off for a waist high tackle on John McGinn. Think he was pissed off at his lack of game time but admitted he made mistakes. He would’ve been a better player in a better team as we were shit last season in every department.

I’ve seen a few of his performances this season and I’ve been impressed every time.

Stranraer were brutal today. Despite whatever happened today, I can't imagine you guys not beating them by 2-3 clear goals at least.

Tuesday will be a cup final for Stranraer and on paper there should only be one winner I’m sure we’ll find some way to make it harder for ourselves.

Not expecting  the club to bring in anyone never mind Balatoni, would be amazed if the money  is there to pay his no doubt hefty wage.

He liked someone’s tweet saying they’d love him back at Ayr. So that obviously means he’s signing.

2 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

He liked someone’s tweet saying they’d love him back at Ayr. So that obviously means he’s signing.

And Devlin was wearing  an Ayr beanie in an Instagram pic, so I expect him to be signing too. All we need is a Facebook pic of Harkins coming out of Gregg's in the High Street and the title is ours.

Archived