Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mccall is a strange man, but having a go at the home support whilst top of the league and winning 4-0 is really bizarre.

Hopefully he's doing what Mcglynn did in 2011 and going absolutely insane in a title run in.

I like McCall and agree with the vast majority of what he says but I think he's misjudged his comments, and tone of the comments, yesterday. ""Coped admirably" being a particularly odd choice of phrase. Not got a big deal with him calling out there was a lack of atmosphere (even though he wasn't actually asked to comment on it), as it was true . However, if calling it out then at least acknowledge the various factors as to why it could have been the case. As Callum says, 3 big away days in 6 days for a start. A routine home win where we didn't get out of 2nd gear, our nearest challengers keeping on the pressure and nerves as Angus says. Wouldn't be surprised if his comments were driven more out of audible individual moans and shouts, as opposed to the overall lack of singing.

Anyway - no huge deal but slightly frustrating he chose to make the the tone of his interview at this particular stage.

20 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Maybe he's just starting to crack  under the pressure. He definitely is a bit of a dick though, which you can forgive because he's a winning dick.

Yeah he certainly doesn’t enjoy pressure. Last season when giving post match interviews he seemed broken, struggled to look at the cameras and would come up with bizarre comments or excuses. Since we have been doing ok this season he’s been a bit better on that front. Maybe as it’s the business end of season he’s feeling the heat

Let’s be honest, McCall is clearly an arrogant p***k of a man. Seems to be well known within football circles.

Ultimately none of us are going to care if we win the league then stay up next season.

I'm always bemused by this view. I certainly don't think he's a p***k.

Yes he's got an arrogant streak but it's incredibly rare to be successful in football without that.

I don't really listen to post match comments but when he's on radio Scotland I'm always impressed by the balanced insight he brings to discussions.

I think there's a lot of similarities with the debate over Strachan for Scotland.

McCall is absolutely spot on. He realises that his players are more likely to respond to a lively Somerset Park and therefore less likely to throw away the title. He wants every single advantage he can yet some flowers on here don’t like his tone!!! FFS

Yeah, I get it, some of you won’t like him no matter what he does.

I haven't been there much this season (4 games) so can't comment about the current atmosphere but in my mind the last consistently good atmosphere in the SRE was under Reid before the Ragazzi and boardroom clashed.

Having been a season ticket holder for just under 30 years, I honestly don't remember there being a great atmosphere on any of our stays in the 3rd tier with the exception of the super Ally years and the season where Ourselves, Hamilton and Livi were all going for the title. however when we were back in the old 1st division  (championship) this usually picked up. I always put that down to the away team having a support which encouraged singing / banter between both sets of fans. Personally I've always found it difficult to get excited about a home match against the likes of Forfar (no disrespect intended) when you were used to playing the likes of Partick, Morton, Falkirk, St Mirren on a regular basis. Away matches have always tended to be different whether it's down to alcohol or some sort of camaraderie who knows, but they've always been the best for the singing.

As for our attendances, they're also pretty much in line with our "norm" for this division (even higher than usual recently), as I'm sure with away fans included we'd regularly be pulling in around 2,200 if we were playing in the Championship this season.

The other issue is a social one, people have changed and times have changed, the days of going to any match and the majority joining in on singing are long gone as you can see when watching matches on TV. Germany appears to be the only country where the good old fashioned atmosphere still exists.

Archived