Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Despite what the majority of Ayr fans think he is a class player and with better forward thinking players will flourish with Morton. Best of luck we had a jewel but didn't know how to utilise him properly.

I'm sorry, but this is complete nonsense.  I don't think I've ever seen a player at Ayr apply himself as little as Harkins did.  The only other player that comes to mind is Nigel Jemson who looked good on a short term contract then chucked it when we gave him a longer deal.  The guy has a dreadful reputation in the game and has had problems at other clubs in the past.  As first team coach, the example he set on the park was appalling.  That silly attempt at showboating when we were 4-0 down against Hibs summed up his contribution to Ayr.  

Look at what Dobbie did for Queens last season - that's my idea of a class player.  Harkins was an absolute wage thief at Ayr and I for one will be delighted if Morton are dumb enough to take him off our hands.

Harkins needs lots of the ball, plenty of touches. I'm not entirely sure he'll get that at Morton - but certainly much more so than with us last season.

If you're trying to break down a defensive unit then he's ideal. In that sense it would've been interesting to see how he'd do for us this coming season.

But if we can, I'd get rid in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

He plays in a position we have plenty of cover in and I would rather a McGuffie or a Forrest got the chance.

Well let's hope they both take their chance as although Forrest has inexperience as an excuse he goes missing in games far more than Harkins. 

16 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Well let's hope they both take their chance as although Forrest has inexperience as an excuse he goes missing in games far more than Harkins. 

How many games until you get in the experienced bracket, he's had well over 100 games, as for Harkins, his attitude is not what I want in a coach.

The majority of the time Harkins played, we launched the ball at his shiny dome rather than his feet, if we were to play to his strengths he might have performed better, the trouble is, he didn't look happy or interested half the time
Bobby Barr is exactly the same, brilliant in flashes

4 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

How many games until you get in the experienced bracket, he's had well over 100 games, as for Harkins, his attitude is not what I want in a coach.

When he gets a decent run in his natural position so he gets a chance at consistency. Being moved position and in/out the team constantly doesn't help progress. 

14 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

So what is it you are looking for in a coach?

2 hours ago, AyrExile said:

I'm at least looking for one that can stay on the pitch for the full 15 minutes of half-time when he's a sub, I defended him when a lot of others were questioning him(our players weren't on the same page when it came to footballing brains) but I can't really defend his attitude in the death throws of the season, skillwise he's exactly the type of player I'd like on the training ground but his apparent can'tbearsedness turns me off.

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

I'm at least looking for one that can stay on the pitch for the full 15 minutes of half-time when he's a sub, I defended him when a lot of others were questioning him(our players weren't on the same page when it came to footballing brains) but I can't really defend his attitude in the death throws of the season, skillwise he's exactly the type of player I'd like on the training ground but his apparent can'tbearsedness turns me off.

I get what you say about his attitude but he could just be someone who is very laid back. Don't know him off the pitch to comment on whether this is the case or he can't just be bothered. One thing I did like about him was that he always wanted the ball and would quietly make himself available. Not everyone else was like that especially in the tougher games near end of season.

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Do you think our squad for the forthcoming season is better than the squad we had last time in league one? Although obviously full time training will undoubtedly help improve our fitness and organisation.

YES, I'd actually say that this squad is better than last seasons championship squad and ultimately we weren't really that far away from safety and mid table mediocrity. Quality signings coupled with our young players being a year more experienced plus the addition of full time training and I can genuinely see us having a very good season and hopefully very enjoyable as God knows we deserve it !!!

9 hours ago, AyrExile said:

Peter Murphy would have been a good appointment as 1st team coach. Model professional, well liked, expect he would carry some respect.  Don't think any of those things applied to Harkins.

Peter Murphy would have been a good appointment as 1st team coach. Model professional, well liked, expect he would carry some respect.  Don't think any of those things applied to Harkins.

Better use of budget is to sign a player coach who can play on a Saturday, Murphy is past it.

Has there been any mention of how we are actually planning on funding the full time football? I would think that removing Harkins from the wage bill is crucial to the overall budget. Despite his reputation I'm sure there are still plenty of clubs who would happily take a punt on him.

9 minutes ago, Young Eddie said:

Has there been any mention of how we are actually planning on funding the full time football? I would think that removing Harkins from the wage bill is crucial to the overall budget. Despite his reputation I'm sure there are still plenty of clubs who would happily take a punt on him.

From what I gather it looks like we might have been shelling out similar money on our part-time setup.

I know Lachlan has been putting a bit of money into the club over the last few seasons and, perhaps, that will continue to an extent. With the club shop, catering and  supporters' club all coming back in-house that should also help.

I think it's mostly being a bit smarter with our budget, and having a lot of younger players on lower wages.

From what I gather it looks like we might have been shelling out similar money on our part-time setup.
I know Lachlan has been putting a bit of money into the club over the last few seasons and, perhaps, that will continue to an extent. With the club shop, catering and  supporters' club all coming back in-house that should also help.
I think it's mostly being a bit smarter with our budget, and having a lot of younger players on lower wages.

I would suggest Lachlan is footing the bill along with what the fans cough up in season ticket sales.

7 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Do you think our squad for the forthcoming season is better than the squad we had last time in league one? Although obviously full time training will undoubtedly help improve our fitness and organisation.

Without a doubt. Presuming All the players offered a contact re-sign then the only players from that starting 11 who are no longer here is Devlin, Murphy, Stevenson, Donald, Preston. The only one o think would get into our current starting 11 would be Nicky Devlin. Preston would be decent from the bench. 

Archived