Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks promising up front with McGuffie, Forrest, Moffat, Moore and McDaid all good enough for League 1

Defence still needs work as we've only got two centre halfs signed up. I'm sure we'll hear more this week about new signings but we've already got a better squad this season than we did the last time we were in League 1.

Fleming 

Geggan CB Higgins Boyle 

McDaid Docherty CM McGuffie 

Moffat Moore

Something along the lines of this would be interesting, can see Forrest coming in for one of the strikers if the formation changes to a 4231. Really would like to see Geggan in centre mid with Doc, but I just don't see us bringing in the quality at right back compared to what we could get for centre mid.

Surprised Meggatt didn't want the move to full time, he's only 26 so still got a good few years playing left in him, but if he's got a good job he doesn't want to let go you can't really blame him, and you can't really keep him on part time and play him when all the others are doing it full time and not playing.

Itzdrk will be delighted I suspect.

Surprised Meggatt didn't want the move to full time, he's only 26 so still got a good few years playing left in him, but if he's got a good job he doesn't want to let go you can't really blame him, and you can't really keep him on part time and play him when all the others are doing it full time and not playing.
Itzdrk will be delighted I suspect.

Yes he has a good job and wasn't willing to go full time, I suspected this might be the case. Now he'll end up playing against us and we're short at the back. Let's hope McCall can find an adequate replacement.

5 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Yes he has a good job and wasn't willing to go full time, I suspected this might be the case. Now he'll end up playing against us and we're short at the back. Let's hope McCall can find an adequate replacement.

If McCall's not willing to keep him on part time then it'll be interesting seeing what happens with the PT players still under contract. He's obviously wanting everyone FT for next season.

Any idea where Meggatt is going? Happily take him down tbe Rock.

Wouldn't be too surprised to see him go back to Alloa.

Of course I'd much rather he went somewhere where he wouldn't play against us.

Just now, UpInTheAyr said:

If McCall's not willing to keep him on part time then it'll be interesting seeing what happens with the PT players still under contract. He's obviously wanting everyone FT for next season.

Agree, there's no point in doing what we did under Roberts and I think McCall knows this. Think that's why he's said he'll speak to Flening and Boyle and I think that's why Lyle Avci has signed a pro contract in case Fleming isn't willing to go Full Time. Although he's been full time before so don't see that being an issue.

It's a pity Meggatt isn't staying, but in truth, he was a very ordinary centre back.  We ought to be able to find a capable replacement without too much trouble.  The way things are shaping up with full time football, it's a real shame Balatoni didn't want to stay - haven't seen anything about where he has ended up.

Looking at our current squad and taking Harkins leaving into consideration, isn't it ironic we're short in centre mid :lol:. Well full time pro wise, good couple of the younger players signed are centre mids.

Agree, there's no point in doing what we did under Roberts and I think McCall knows this. Think that's why he's said he'll speak to Flening and Boyle and I think that's why Lyle Avci has signed a pro contract in case Fleming isn't willing to go Full Time. Although he's been full time before so don't see that being an issue.

Fleming travelling up from Annan might be the issue for full time. Especially now his car share buddy Murphys is gone

After finding out that Meggatt is moving on that leaves us rather short in defence and with a lack of defenders being linked with us. 

In the space of a month we've gone from an overload of defenders to 3.

After finding out that Meggatt is moving on that leaves us rather short in defence and with a lack of defenders being linked with us. 
In the space of a month we've gone from an overload of defenders to 3.

We're still in May for crying out loud. I for one would be happy with a first choice centre back pairing of Rose & Higgins, both very capable at this level. We've been promoted from this league with Scott Walker playing at centre half FFS!

In saying that, disappointed to lose Meggat. He would have been ideal as not only a very solid centre back but also much needed cover at left back.

Fair play to the guy if he's got a decent job outside of football, he's been down the full time road with Dundee before & maybe fancies some more stability.

Just hope he goes to Dumbarton & not one of our rivals in this league.

Archived