Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

I'd be seriously worried about our title hopes if Michael Rose is a starter next season. With Meggat sadly moving on we are badly in need of a centre back.

Harkins is almost certain to leave this week and that takes our squad down to 13. McCall has said he wants a squad of 18 senior players so for me we still need: 

CB

RB

Crawford/CM

Winger

ST

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I'd be seriously worried about our title hopes if Michael Rose is a starter next season. With Meggat sadly moving on we are badly in need of a centre back.

Harkins is almost certain to leave this week and that takes our squad down to 13. McCall has said he wants a squad of 18 senior players so for me we still need: 

CB

RB

Crawford/CM

Winger

ST

Centre backs released so far include David McCracken, Andy Webster, Andy Dowie, Ben Gordon, Paul Quinn, Brian McLean & David Ferguson. I suppose others may be available in the next couple of weeks. 

However apart from Ferguson the rest are over 30 & only Dowie played in more games last season than Rose. McCracken & Quinn played more minutes but Quinn was the only one out of the two to make an appearance after January; playing two games. McCracken is exactly the type of signing McCall loves, a player he's managed before, although sounds like he may retire.

I certainly wouldn't be against Rose being a starter playing alongside an experienced pro in Higgins. He looked comfortable playing beside Murphy against Dundee United & I don't think McCall helped him at times by playing him in midfield.

I agree we need another centre back although preferably someone that can cover left back if we intend to play Geggan at right back and have the youngster Waite as cover.

Starting to wonder whether players like Adams and Fleming will now not sign due to going FT.

Hart will do a job in this league but Fleming is still a big miss. Adams if he goes will leave us short in the midfield especially if Crawford, Gilmour and Harkins all leave. Quite ironic considering last year we had too many midfielders and now we may only have a couple.

If the above happens I think we will need,

A right back
2 centre backs. One to partner Higgins and one to provide cover. Jason Marr was released by Alloa and had clubs interested last season as well.
A central midfielder - Preferably a strong, dominating player if Jamie Adams does go. Geggan would be perfect for this but can't see McCall playing him there.
A winger - Willie Gibson fits the bill but after McDaid signing today we may have enough bodies that can play wide.
A striker - Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just someone who can cover for Moore and Moffat. Good enough to chip in with a few goals. Easiest option would be a loan signing.

8 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Starting to wonder whether players like Adams and Fleming will now not sign due to going FT.

Hart will do a job in this league but Fleming is still a big miss. Adams if he goes will leave us short in the midfield especially if Crawford, Gilmour and Harkins all leave. Quite ironic considering last year we had too many midfielders and now we may only have a couple.

A right back
2 centre backs. One to partner Higgins and one to provide cover. Jason Marr was released by Alloa and had clubs interested last season as well.
A central midfielder - Preferably a strong, dominating player if Jamie Adams does go. Geggan would be perfect for this but can't see McCall playing him there.
A winger - Willie Gibson fits the bill but after McDaid signing today we may have enough bodies that can play wide.
A striker - Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just someone who can cover for Moore and Moffat. Good enough to chip in with a few goals. Easiest option would be a loan signing.

We surely need more than 1 wide player.

We surely need more than 1 wide player.

McDaid, McGuffie and Forrest can all play wide and in a 4-4-2 that's where they'll probably play. I'm pretty sure Leon Murphy plays wide as well.

Gibson would be a good signing in the way that he is more experienced and could probably help the younger lads become better.

2 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

McDaid, McGuffie and Forrest can all play wide and in a 4-4-2 that's where they'll probably play. I'm pretty sure Leon Murphy plays wide as well.

Gibson would be a good signing in the way that he is more experienced and could probably help the younger lads become better.

McGuffie, we'll see, Forrest, nah.

I'd be disappointed if we didn't sign an experienced wide man. Despite Forrest's game time, I don't think we can rely on him & McGuffie to produce consistently for 36 games. You might imagine McCall will also use McDaid as the back up striker.

22 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

A right back

Calm down ya panic merchant, Fleming is on a two year deal. 

Archived