Ruth Davidson.

Im_Rodger

Ruth's in trouble next Holyrood election. She can't shout indyref two and will be in for a tough time when her solution to the education issues, free academies, is panned.

I absolutely hate her but I think it's because she's good and she's on the other side. I mean, now that the dust is somewhat settled on it, she managed to come through the rape clause stuff relatively unscathed. You could tell deep down she hated it as much as the rest of them but in terms of how she could best face up to it she did about as well as possible. 

I haaaatteeee how much they go on about Indyref2 and shit but the proof is in the pudding - it worked. People lapped it up. When was the last time the conservatives had this many seats in Scotland? And that's on the back of a conservative government being in power in Westminster for 7 years. 

Seeing her give it the big "IndyRef2 is dead!" last night infuriated me but it will be music to the ears of others.

56 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Props to Ruth Davidson.  Tremendous electoral success.  For the Union and anti-Brexit as all sensible people are.  No wonder Scots Tories gained such traction with the electorate yesterday.

She suddently went very quiet on her anti-Brexit stance whilst there was an election going on. Fair to say a good chunk of those voters that she cosied up to are not "sensible" by your own definition.

Don't buy Davidson having any principled objections to anything but it was a smart move from here yesterday. Gets in front of the criticism that might come her way and she must surely have one eye on Westminster now. PM on a shoogly peg and as good a night as you'll get for the Tories in Scotland. If there was ever a time to start making moves, it's now.

32 minutes ago, blastie_12 said:

What's her take on the dup opinion on her marriage etc?

http://www.thejournal.ie/ruth-davidson-lgbt-3436443-Jun2017/?utm_source=shortlink

"Davidson has previously spoken publicly about her intention to marry her Irish partner Jen Wilson in Ireland and the pair make regular public appearances together.

In the 2016 Belfast speech she linked to this afternoon, Davidson spoke about her partner:

"I am engaged to a Catholic Irishwoman from county Wexford who was educated by nuns. For me, equal marriage isn’t about one religion or county or community. It is about the people of Northern Ireland being afforded the same rights as everybody else."

The DUP would deny you that right Ruth. These are the bedfellows your national party leader is now relying on.

I absolutely hate her but I think it's because she's good and she's on the other side. I mean, now that the dust is somewhat settled on it, she managed to come through the rape clause stuff relatively unscathed. You could tell deep down she hated it as much as the rest of them but in terms of how she could best face up to it she did about as well as possible. 
I haaaatteeee how much they go on about Indyref2 and shit but the proof is in the pudding - it worked. People lapped it up. When was the last time the conservatives had this many seats in Scotland? And that's on the back of a conservative government being in power in Westminster for 7 years. 
Seeing her give it the big "IndyRef2 is dead!" last night infuriated me but it will be music to the ears of others.

It's their best result in Scotland since 1983 so it's a tremendous achievement on her part.

19 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

It's their best result in Scotland since 1983 so it's a tremendous achievement on her part.

Agreed. Even just seeing her face gives me an angry, visceral reaction so I don't say it lightly but she is very good at what she does.

Take Dugdale in comparison. As a staunch SNP/Yes supporter I am delighted she is in charge of Scottish Labour. The anti-SNP votes in this election were basically anti-independence. Yet, these Scottish voters chose the conservatives over labour. After the history of the tories in Scotland and the sort've warm feeling Jeremy Corbyn galvanized in the UK in general.

It's sickening to me. And that's a testament to the dirty political games she played and was very successful at.

The DUP opinion on equal marriage is irrelevant because we already have equal marriage and the DUP aren't going to be demanding we overturn it.

It's bizarre that nationalists on here don't want other constituent parts of the UK having any say in what happens in Scotland but then seem to think they've licence to pontificate, judge and influence the way devolved issues are dealt with in Northern Ireland.

The idea that Arlene Forster and Ruth Davidson should be the kingmakers in this farrago should make any decent person vomit blood. A combined mandate of 23, 13 of which have the tory whip and therefore have zero chance of doing anything other than exactly as they're fucking told.

Ruth has and will continue to be portrayed as a civil liberties heroine (did you know she was gay and a woman??) while never being asked to deliver on any of the strong and admittedly impressive words she directed at the DUP yesterday. While Foster, who should have been binned months ago will prop up anything as long as she gets a) Flegs b) To stay in power c) It right up SF.

A fucking disaster approaches, at least we'll get to watch. 

If wee NIc puts Inyref on the backburner for a while, what the hell is Davidson going to campaign about?  That's her single issue and if she doesn't have that, she has nothing.  She almost needs the anger she feels at a "second divisive indyref" to fuel her.

It's bizarre that nationalists on here don't want other constituent parts of the UK having any say in what happens in Scotland but then seem to think they've licence to pontificate, judge and influence the way devolved issues are dealt with in Northern Ireland.

You think its bizarre to point out that a political party has some disgusting views?
Do you find them acceptable because of the fleg they are wrapped up in?

3 minutes ago, mjw said:

You think its bizarre to point out that a political party has some disgusting views?

That's PRECISELY why he finds them acceptable.

I don't think being anti abortion is disgusting- I think it's a legitimate position to take even if I don't agree with it(especially if I've pupped them)

As for gay marriage? It has only been legal here for a few years but now it's an unquestionable truth?! Im not so arrogant to believe we've cracked every social issue. A lot of religious people believe marriage is a sacred institution between a man and a woman- we still have freedom of religion as far as I am aware.

What we see here is a witch hunt of Christian values unless it's soft, wishy washy Church of England ones. We seen it with Tim Farron and we are seeing it with the DUP.

Funny how all these big brave anti-religious warriors are so silent when it comes to questions the religious views of those who are not Christian.

2 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I don't think being anti abortion is disgusting- I think it's a legitimate position to take even if I don't agree with it(especially if I've pupped them)

As for gay marriage? It has only been legal here for a few years but now it's an unquestionable truth?! Im not so arrogant to believe we've cracked every social issue. A lot of religious people believe marriage is a sacred institution between a man and a woman- we still have freedom of religion as far as I am aware.

What we see here is a witch hunt of Christian values unless it's soft, wishy washy Church of England ones. We seen it with Tim Farron and we are seeing it with the DUP.

Funny how all these big brave anti-religious warriors are so silent when it comes to questions the religious views of those who are not Christian.

So there you have it.  The Chlamydia Kid supports the disgusting views of the DUP.  I can't say I'm surprised.

Seems Unionists will put up with ANYTHING if it lands a blow on the SNP.