Ruth Davidson.

Im_Rodger

2 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

How the f**k can Johnson sack her?

Are you so thick you think that BJ appointed her to her post?

Calm down ffs. I realised my mistake about 3 posts ago.

8 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

How the f**k can Johnson sack her?

Are you so thick you think that BJ, or Theresa May appointed her to her post?

He can completely undermine her to the point of untenable with minimal effort really. It's already started with the guy from Worcester getting hoyed into a junior role ahead of any of "her" MPs.

I see he's also speaking in Scotland from within a military base - "let the people see me" not. 

22 minutes ago, HTG said:

He can completely undermine her to the point of untenable with minimal effort really. It's already started with the guy from Worcester getting hoyed into a junior role ahead of any of "her" MPs.

I see he's also speaking in Scotland from within a military base - "let the people see me" not. 

Much as I'd love to see that, I don't believe for one moment he can do that.

Seems to be quite a few on this thread that regard Ruth as an MP, rather than an MSP.

Maybe that has something to do with the English Meeja continually suggesting she would make a good leader of the tory party and maybe even PM.

36 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Much as I'd love to see that, I don't believe for one moment he can do that.

Reasonably easy I'd think. He could create another credible figure in the party, probably an MP through the usual feeding of shite to the press, create a Johnson loyal power group in the Scottish branch. Then he could starve Davidson of all material help from the UK party in the next election. The tories have never been shy to off a leader at the first signs of trouble.

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

Much as I dislike Ruth, I would have to concede that recent Tory electoral success in Scotland , has probably been entirely due to her.

Yeah, but she didn't go round every single door on election day to get the vote out. She didn't pay out of her own pocket for the billboards and leaflets and broadcasts and the Scotland only subs probably wouldn't stretch too far either. Fact is that Johnson could easily cut off a large chunk of the support mechanism that has elevated Davidson's bubbly, matey vacuity and dogwhistle politics into actual votes.

He may not see the need or point, as it's obvious that nothing Davidson can do will impact Johnson where it counts: The voting Lobbies at the house of commons. The Scottish Tory MPs know where their loyalty lies and it's not with Ruth. Still though, like Brown with Wendy Alexander it probably wouldn't take much to dispose of Davidson if Johnson so wished.

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I would also argue that Ruth’s electoral “success” owes a great deal to how much of a shambles Scottish Labour have been for years now. I doubt it takes a political masterclass to outmanoeuvre Kezia fucking Dugdale.

Or Richard Fucking Leonard.

5 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Given he's managed to get himself into Downing Street, I'd imagine destroying Ruth Davidson would be no challenge.

Naah....

Ruth would be more likely to destroy Boris. She does have the distinct advantage of being in possession of half a brain.

8 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Naah....

Ruth would be more likely to destroy Boris. She does have the distinct advantage of being in possession of half a brain.

Hardly a prerequisite for being successful in contemporary politics.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Why would Johnson want to 'destroy' Buffalo Bob ?

She's not a Johnson loyalist, but even he would have the brain cells necessary to work out that (at the moment) he needs the support of Scotland's band of useless Tory MP's.

If he was to neuter her and destroy her credibility as branch manager, he can kiss goodbye to at least 11 of these 13 MP's if he intends to call a GE in the next couple of months. 

He must know, and will surely act accordingly. That's not to say that he won't open a trapdoor for her in the future, but at this moment in time he needs her to try and shore up the dwindling Tory support in Scotland. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

She's not a Johnson loyalist, but even he would have the brain cells necessary to work out that (at the moment) he needs the support of Scotland's band of useless Tory MP's.

If he was to neuter her and destroy her credibility as branch manager, he can kiss goodbye to at least 11 of these 13 MP's if he intends to call a GE in the next couple of months. 

He must know, and will surely act accordingly. That's not to say that he won't open a trapdoor for her in the future, but at this moment in time he needs her to try and shore up the dwindling Tory support in Scotland. 

I think the majority of the Westminster shower have signed their death warrants with 12 of them voting to support a no deal brexit against their constituents wishes.

Do the Scottish Tory MPs have any loyalty to Ruth? I doubt it. They will be loyal to their bank accounts and not much else.

She's not stupid and she understands her role in the party and in Scotland. She's only 40 and won't be risking her spot on the gravy train to grandstand over something she has zero control over. If she behaves the House of Lords and multiple directorships await.

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The huge assumption here is that those Scottish Tory MPs and their voters have any interest in Davidson. Johnson is a monster of ego. He likely expects (and will demand) that those MPs and the hardcore BritNat voters give their support to him rather than Davidson. Remember that Tories are not loyal creatures. The MPs will happily ignore and/or bin wee Roothie to curry favour with Johnson. Likewise the BritNat-fringe voters have no loyalty to Davidson but rather to London rule; they’ll support anyone and anything that looks likely to stop Scotland achieving statehood.

So, Johnson probably feels safe doing what he can to ruin Davidson in the knowledge that the slimy MPs will follow his lead, not hers, and the voters don’t give a shit what they vote for as long as it’s waving a Union Jack. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

Yeah, but she didn't go round every single door on election day to get the vote out. She didn't pay out of her own pocket for the billboards and leaflets and broadcasts and the Scotland only subs probably wouldn't stretch too far either. Fact is that Johnson could easily cut off a large chunk of the support mechanism that has elevated Davidson's bubbly, matey vacuity and dogwhistle politics into actual votes.

He may not see the need or point, as it's obvious that nothing Davidson can do will impact Johnson where it counts: The voting Lobbies at the house of commons. The Scottish Tory MPs know where their loyalty lies and it's not with Ruth. Still though, like Brown with Wendy Alexander it probably wouldn't take much to dispose of Davidson if Johnson so wished.

One way, or another, the Johnson sh*tshow, and his horrible little bunch of ideologues is going to be a short term government at Westminster. 

Looks to me that if Johnson were to undermine Ruth Davidson, and have someone more amenable as Scottish Tory leader, the chances of there being

any Scottish Tory MP's at Westminster in a GE, would reduce to about the fingers on one hand.

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Folk that live in England do seem to have a bizarrely over-inflated view of Ruth’s ability. The one Tory I know thinks she’s a political heavyweight in the making.

Maybe they just mean she's got a fat head.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

Folk that live in England do seem to have a bizarrely over-inflated view of Ruth’s ability. The one Tory I know thinks she’s a political heavyweight in the making.

12 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

My comment was more along the lines that I find it difficult to believe that a Scottish Tory leader who is a complete cheerleader for Boris Johnson.... could actually

do anything to sustain Tory votes in Scotland.. in a GE.