Ruth Davidson.

Im_Rodger

8 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Davidson is running out of road. She has about 90 days  to try show how she has any authority over the Scottish Tory contingent at Westminster.

But we know what will happen, they will defy her and vote along with Boris as they know where the real power lies.

In reality she's a nothing. No power or influence and totally manufactured by the media.

But reality will bite in the event of a no deal Brexit or an election called at Holyrood or Westminster which ever comes first.

A serial loser who has been leader of her party in Scotland for 8 years and won the square root of f**k all.

As I was saying....

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I've not heard the "the line is breaking up" excuse off yoons since the depths of 2014. Almost nostalgic.

I'm actually expecting him to use "The dog eat my homework" somewhere along the line

9 hours ago, Antlion said:

But jaunty Davidson just assured us, with her usual bonhomie, that she’s in charge of “the whole damn shooting match”, including North British MPs. She used colourful, colloquial language and grinned like a simpleton, so it must be true. 

I read that as "colonial language" for a second.

I listened to that Tomkins interview on the way to work. That shortened version actually does him a bit of a favour as the full version is even worse. You could tell Robertson just thought he was an absolute w**k and decided to go for the full humiliation in the end.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

I'm sure Adam Tomkins has made noises about wanting to be leader of the Scotch Tories so he's probably loving this in private.

He certainly fits the bill of snivelling wee rat who doesn't do answering questions.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

I'm sure Adam Tomkins has made noises about wanting to be leader of the Scotch Tories so he's probably loving this in private.

Are there not rumblings that he would be Westminster's preferred option to be branch manager of the Tories in Scotland ?

He certainly ticks every box.

8 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Are there not rumblings that he would be Westminster's preferred option to be branch manager of the Tories in Scotland ?

He certainly ticks every box.

That would be magnificent. His interview yesterday on GMS was a thing of beauty. Never mind scrambling for relevance - that was just plain old scrambling. Could easily have been a Michael Howard moment if the BBC hadn't shat the bed in the aftermath of that episode. 

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I vividly remember when Dick Leonard was elected slab leader he said something like "So a Scottish party can have an English leader. How INTERESTING"

Which I felt was some pretty obvious running across open ground under fire.

And he was wrong on numerous counts.

1. Slab isn’t a party.

2. He isn’t a leader.

3. Nothing he’s ever said is interesting. 

On 30/07/2019 at 10:59, Colkitto said:

Davidson is running out of road. She has about 90 days  to try show how she has any authority over the Scottish Tory contingent at Westminster.

But we know what will happen, they will defy her and vote along with Boris as they know where the real power lies.

In reality she's a nothing. No power or influence and totally manufactured by the media.

But reality will bite in the event of a no deal Brexit or an election called at Holyrood or Westminster which ever comes first.

A serial loser who has been leader of her party in Scotland for 8 years and won the square root of f**k all.

She's done the job for 8 years now and she's managed to get a lot of plaudits and praise for just trying to stay quiet as much as possible and take a very simple anti-referendum platform which has solidifed the vote in her favour. In all honesty, she probably knows that her value is as high as it can go and she really doesn't have the clout to hold the Scottish Tories to anything, the majority of her Westminster MPs have made it clear that they don't report to her and whilst she has a better grip of her MSPs, you question how many of them would behave if it come down to her staring down with Boris.

I genuinely wouldn't be at all surprised if we get a surprise announcement that she's stepped down over the next few months due to 'family reasons'. She could probably earn a lot more money outside of politics, maybe even have a plan to come back into the fold later and probably get a peerage if she's not too loud.

I wouldn't be surprised if Davidson is gone over the next few months either. She doesn't fit anymore, same way Dugdale didn't fit when Corbyn became Labour leader. The Tories are now an openly right wing, hard Brexit, racist party. That's not really Ruth's brand. Johnson knows she fucking hates him as well, and he's the boss at the end of the day. It's not like she'll be short of work either if she does go. The media will still love her.

43 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I don’t know what Davidson’s brand is other than the typical right wing identity politics of thinking “if they are x then it’s woke regardless of what they think or do”

Well, yeah. She's the Tory for the Guardian readers, the good jock that Liberal Democrats in England like.

Politics is a long game though - ups and downs.

Davidson has a degree of political talent, and a likeability for many people - not just in Scotland (unlike someone like dugdale who seemed to have neither).

She's had media-hyped highs and is now really struggling but she'll be back at some point I reckon.

38 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Politics is a long game though - ups and downs.

Davidson has a degree of political talent, and a likeability for many people - not just in Scotland (unlike someone like dugdale who seemed to have neither).

She's had media-hyped highs and is now really struggling but she'll be back at some point I reckon.

Davidson is a good communicator for sure. But it's Tory policy that's bringing her down. Unless that changes there won't be a way back. 

Davidson is a good communicator for sure. But it's Tory policy that's bringing her down. Unless that changes there won't be a way back. 
There will always be a place for economically conservative centre-right politicians in Scotland. The fermers for a start, but plenty of rural areas also prefer a distinctivly Scottish brand of Toryism (and Davidson straddles this well despite not being from that particular stock).

It was the same with Annabelle Goldie and the Mcletchie guy before her.

They're a very different animal from the bullingdon types of south-east England.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

There will always be a place for economically conservative centre-right politicians in Scotland. The fermers for a start, but plenty of rural areas also prefer a distinctivly Scottish brand of Toryism (and Davidson straddles this well despite not being from that particular stock).

It was the same with Annabelle Goldie and the Mcletchie guy before her.

They're a very different animal from the bullingdon types of south-east England.

In an independent Scotland there would be more votes in it for centre-right parties. Many now just won't vote Tory because of the constitution and the close alignment to London.

It's hard to make comebacks in politics. If Davidson goes there may be no way back not matter the constitutional set up in Scotland.  

36 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't know why people bestow this socially liberal moderate thing on Davidson. There are Tory councillors with swastikas tattooed on their arms, Orangemen, homophobes, paedophiles... all on her watch.

She gives the press what she's looking for personality wise and then she's pretty much a blank canvass because she has never had any tangible power.

Being cynical, a lot of Tories need a way to keep their conscience clear too and that's what she is to them.