Manchester Arena - Terrorist Incident

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a good post, TM. Over here I think there's a clear ongoing problem of radicalisation in prisons at the moment. You can see that with perpetrators having a background of petty crime and I'm sure I read somewhere that the government or prison bodies had acknowledged that the prison system is chaos atm and radical islamists are taking advantage of that to indoctrinate susceptible inmates. Combatting this on our* end means looking beyond questions of faith imo where we can't really be of help and look into the rehabilitation of prisoners and ensuring they aren't ostracised from society.

*by "our" I mean secular Brits and the government etc.

7 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Its probably significant the decline of religion in the west as there is more than enough common sense, knowledge and freedom to know better. If you look at the countries where religion has a grip (regardless of flavour), poverty and lack of education is rife and it's as much hard to comprehend how some people don't know there has been a man on the moon (as an example) as it's to comprehend them following a sky fairy. You would be astounded how much juju is still in the world today.

Education is a key player here.

I'd guess the best attended churches in the Glasgow area are in wealthy areas and the Glasgow Central mosque.

I'd guess the best attended churches in the Glasgow area are in wealthy areas and the Glasgow Central mosque.

That is most likely accurate. What I'm referring to is where religion has a grip, two countries that spring to mind as I have lived in both is Indonesia (Muslim) and Philippines (Christian). In both these, the respective religion carries weight and authority. In both poverty and lack of education is rife and it's unbelievable how controlling and influential religion can be in 2017. It's frightening!

3 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Good honest muslims (the vast majority) are sick of all this and they need to put 'distance' between them and these idiots for the sake of Islam.

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

How do they do that, then?

Given the current climate of racism in the UK, I think their best bet is to try and not be brown.

Doing nothing to dispel the Nazi links, throbbels. (From what I've heard about LBC anyway)

Because they employ Katie Hopkins? I don't really listen to her show or value her input, I prefer James O'Brien.

The also gave Farage a show.

Yeah, they have a wide variation of hosts and don't have to remain impartial like the BBC. Or appear to remain impartial like the BBC.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Yeah, they have a wide variation of hosts and don't have to remain impartial like the BBC. Or appear to remain impartial like the BBC.

Or to put it another way they employ a shower of right wing, scaremongering idiots who pander to the lowest common denominator amongst the British public?

Just now, TheGoon said:

I see Chelsea have canceled theid title parade on Saturday. Either a classy touch from them for once, or it's for security reasons.

John Terry is still having a solo open top bus parade.

Or to put it another way they employ a shower of right wing, scaremongering idiots who pander to the lowest common denominator amongst the British public?

Not James O'Brien or Sheila Foggerty though.

I have no idea who any of these people are, I only listen to radio 4.

Well Katie Hopkins has one show on a Sunday. I don't even know when Farrage is on but I think he has an evening slot, not sure how many times a week. Nick Ferrari, James O'Brien and Sheila Foggerty do the day time Monday-Friday slots and aren't right wing bigots.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

Well Katie Hopkins has one show on a Sunday. I don't even know when Farrage is on but I think he has an evening slot, not sure how many times a week. Nick Ferrari, James O'Brien and Sheila Foggerty do the day time Monday-Friday slots and aren't right wing bigots.

It sounds awful throbber, Ill give it a miss.

It sounds awful throbber, Ill give it a miss.

Well it's fine during day time Monday - Friday.

Anyway, it appears quite a few of the victims being named were parents on the way to pick up their kids in the foyer and their children survived. I was expecting the victims to all be late teens/early 20's.

A drone pilot, a fighter bomber pilot, an army sniper, a serial killer, a contract killer, a ned who decides to kick or stab someone to death - people justify killing in all sorts of ways, some more socially acceptable than others.

Religious fanaticism is maybe no more than an excuse for killing and it's the killing that's the real buzz for these people. This Manchester bomb was a horrible act and in the age of social media fear seems to spread more quickly and simple fixes bandied about. 

Archived