The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

You’ve just made me feel old. Is that over 10 years since the move? 

January 2009 bud. I know proper Saints fans who can’t even remember us playing at our spiritual home.

I guess we will be that last generation.

‘Wait, you remember us playing at Love St..?’

Back in my day boy, we used to walk up this wee hill to the North Bank, and then...

Old school.

5 minutes ago, Lex said:

January 2009 bud. I know proper Saints fans who can’t even remember us playing at our spiritual home.

Back in my day boy, we used to walk up this wee hill to the North Bank, and then...

Old school.

I'm even older school, I can remember when the Love St end was curved and "the wee hill" was yet to exist.

I'm even older school, I can remember when the Love St end was curved and "the wee hill" was yet to exist.

Thought you were going to say you remembered Westmarch there 🤣

Wonder if the old school of the 1880’s gave that to the new 1890’s kids at Love St.

Hope so.

13 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

STV news reporting our budget has been slashed that Goodwin hopes there is enough in the budget to bring in four players. 

By all accounts St. Mirren had a £50k bid accepted for O’Hara. I know it’s hardly millions but it’s not the actions of a club who are getting their budget ‘slashed’ (whatever that mean). St. Mirren look to be in a good position to ride out this pandemic, Gordon Scott doesn’t strike me as a man that’s going to spend out with the means of the club, and the supporters SMISA’s contributions will be helping as well. 

I was actually surprised to read that Motherwell had offered several players contracts and then took them off the table due to the pandemic. Motherwell have always struck me as a very well run club, it seemed a bit off that they were offering contracts and then reneging on them due to coronavirus; surely the furlough scheme would have covered the majority of these players wages? 

10 hours ago, Lex said:

Old school.

I don’t remember any of us worrying about the hot or cold water facilities in the North Bank roofless lavvies either. Kids today. Never mind national service, it should be mandatory that all kids attend a training course where they stand still, surrounded by sweaty, smoking, drunken bawbags, one of whom pishes down the back of their leg.... let’s see them moan about cold water and hand driers then. 😎

Edited by pozbaird

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I don’t remember any of us worrying about the hot or cold water facilities in the North Bank roofless lavvies either. Kids today. Never mind national service, it should be mandatory that all kids attend a training course where they stand still, surrounded by sweaty, smoking, drunken bawbags, one of whom pishes down the back of their leg.... let’s see them moan about cold water and hand driers then. 😎

So here's the thing, most of us are old enough to remember "black hole of Calcutta" type bathrooms of a bygone age, and Greenhill Road is obviously a world away from that, but in truth, the bathrooms are pretty much a "what's needed and no more" affair. I understand why, of course, most people attending football are blokes who generally don't care so long as they can piss and leave. However with the mantra that "oh, it's a family outing" and that football should appeal to the whole family then "niceties" such as clean, well maintained and properly laid out toilets shouldn't be a crazy idea. I appreciate it's a money thing, but we now have a justification that goes beyond a marketing reason.

16 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

We have made a offer to Mitchell Rose who is now out of contract at Notts County ( Record )  Edit midfielder

From Wiki (whether true or not is obvs open to debate):

A tough tackling intelligent box-to-box central midfielder, who enjoys breaking up play, Rose played regularly as a holding midfielder in front of a back four; he can also play as right-back and centre-back as well as his favoured central midfield position.

You've got to say, if that is what he is, then it fits what we need.

56 minutes ago, Ric said:

So here's the thing, most of us are old enough to remember "black hole of Calcutta" type bathrooms of a bygone age, and Greenhill Road is obviously a world away from that, but in truth, the bathrooms are pretty much a "what's needed and no more" affair. I understand why, of course, most people attending football are blokes who generally don't care so long as they can piss and leave. However with the mantra that "oh, it's a family outing" and that football should appeal to the whole family then "niceties" such as clean, well maintained and properly laid out toilets shouldn't be a crazy idea. I appreciate it's a money thing, but we now have a justification that goes beyond a marketing reason.

From Wiki (whether true or not is obvs open to debate):

A tough tackling intelligent box-to-box central midfielder, who enjoys breaking up play, Rose played regularly as a holding midfielder in front of a back four; he can also play as right-back and centre-back as well as his favoured central midfield position.

You've got to say, if that is what he is, then it fits what we need.

Is it? I’d say central midfield is the last position we need to strengthen at the moment and we already have two midfielders who can play right back and one who can play centre half.

If he’s an improvement on what we have in midfield then fair enough but, based on that description, I’d hope he wasn’t being signed as a first choice defender.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Guaranteed a hot water supply in these days.:whistle

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Is it? I’d say central midfield is the last position we need to strengthen at the moment and we already have two midfielders who can play right back and one who can play centre half.

If he’s an improvement on what we have in midfield then fair enough but, based on that description, I’d hope he wasn’t being signed as a first choice defender.

I know that height isn't the ball all end all in terms of centre halves, but 5ft 9? 

1 minute ago, Stu said:

We were after Gogic from the off, so a defensive midfielder does seem to be a priority.

This would suggest that Gogic is off to Hibs or the like.

Central mid though, we currently have Flynn, Magennis, MacPherson, Foley, McGrath and Erhahon who can all play there.

It's not a priority unless we are looking to bring in someone with legitimate creative threat in that area (which McGrath was brought in to provide)

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

We were after Gogic from the off, so a defensive midfielder does seem to be a priority.

I mean Gogic would make far more sense, he can play centre half or holding mid and we know he's capable at this level.

18 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Central mid though, we currently have Flynn, Magennis, MacPherson, Foley, McGrath and Erhahon who can all play there.

It's not a priority unless we are looking to bring in someone with legitimate creative threat in that area (which McGrath was brought in to provide)

We might not see it as a priority, but Goodwin seems to think it is.

If indeed our interest in Gogic and Rose is genuine.

Looking at the Notts Co forums, Rose has played central midfield all season.

10 bookings in 38 games and a five match suspension a couple of seasons ago for knocking a red card out of the officials hands. Ironically the red card was overturned on appeal.

Edited by FTOF

20 minutes ago, FTOF said:

You were supposedly going to chuck some money at a fee for O'Hara as well.

29 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It’s perhaps a move to fill the ‘famous family member’ quota now that Djorkaeff has left?

33 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I thought Gogic was a defender?