The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

8 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Douglas McNeil has confirmed we’ve signed Power on a 1 year deal.

I'm happy with this; I think he'll be a success for us.

9 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Some Killie supporting nutter on twitter says we’re paying Brophy and Kiltie 3K a week 🤣

And Power, now.

Saints took a Scottish Government loan of 1.764 million to be paid back on equal monthly payments till 2042 Only Ross County and Hamilton took less. Celtic was the only club not to take a loan out. 

Edited by ZingaliMan

19 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

We keep on splashing the cash.

Shame we still can't compete with United's magic money tree, but I'm comfortable with how things are going.

If the season started tomorrow and this was our line up (in Jim's preferred formation) then I don't think we could have too many complaints. Better balance to the defence with left-footers in there now. Shame Flynn isn't five years younger as I'd take a young Flynn and Power as a middle two every day of the week:

------------------------------ Alnwick

------------- McCarthy - Shaughnessy - Dunne --------------

-- Fraser/Tait --------- Power - Erhahon ---------- Tanser

-------------------------- McGrath/Kiltie

-------------------------- Brophy - Main

Edit: Power confirmed

Edited by Coventry Saint

7 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Saints took a Scottish Government loan of 1.764 million to be paid back on equal monthly payments till 2042 Only Ross County and Hamilton took less. Celtic was the only club not to take a loan out. 

Where you reading that mate? I thought we turned down the support loan. Happy to be corrected 👍

16 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

It was a no-brainer. £2M interest free over 20 years is repayments of only £100k pa or £2k per week.

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Where you reading that mate? I thought we turned down the support loan. Happy to be corrected 👍

The Sun reported it yesterday.

Does Erhahon have the "legs" for that? In terms of on the ball stuff.
He comes out really, really, badly as a CM who is able to move the ball around the park individually. Its not a death knell for him as anything, but in my stupid system the lower tiers are littered with technically sound players who can't cope in the top flight because they cant run with the ball, as weird as that sounds. Seems to be a trend and he doesn't fit in it where you'd want him to.
Thats without watching any real amount of him, but I'm not sure where he fits in a top flight midfield.

He's not really the ball carrying type from what I've seen of him. More of a spoiler who can break up play and do a simple pass, he tried to add in the odd through the eye of a needle attacking pass, if he can do that more and learn to track his runners (may have to do that more when playing beside Power who won't have JDH's speed or as much energy) he may get a decent move but for just now he's definitely a work in progress.
Given that we've lost/released at least six players, if Power signs, we'll really only have room for one more. Two at a push.
Despite tear stained claims elsewhere, we'll be balancing the books as we always do.
With Connolly signing elsewhere and JDH not signing does that free up anything or have we blown that all on Brophy [emoji16].

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

I think another 2 at least

Definitely 2-3 more.

Goodwin was saying that we'd be getting two more in before we lost Conolly and presumably JDH. So Power's addition leaves potentially 3 spaces. Though I'd be happy with a winger and centre forward.

Power will be really, really good for you if paired with someone tasked with sitting in front of the defence, allowing him to go charging about winning the ball back. If he's played beside someone who isn't disciplined though you'll find yourself without a centre midfield quite regularly. 

He was our man of the match just about every week when he was in there with Dicker (when Dicker was any good). When he played with Tshibola though we haemorrhaged chances through the middle. 

5 minutes ago, Coooombe said:

Power will be really, really good for you if paired with someone tasked with sitting in front of the defence, allowing him to go charging about winning the ball back. If he's played beside someone who isn't disciplined though you'll find yourself without a centre midfield quite regularly. 

He was our man of the match just about every week when he was in there with Dicker (when Dicker was any good). When he played with Tshibola though we haemorrhaged chances through the middle. 

That's weird, I genuinely thought he'd be the guy sitting. To be fair, Jim loves that solid platform of two so maybe it'll work ok.