The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

It was a difficult watch yesterday. Right through the team from Curtis Main, to Gogic, Dunne etc we were just not at it. I don't think Killie were that great we just didnt turn up. 

5 more cup finals to go. Got to hope the players push themselves to finish strongly

You only get to turn up if the opposition allow you to do that. Tactically you were outdone and had no answers. 

Well done on achieving top 6 , the table does not lie. You may find it more difficult next season with Motherwell, Dundee and resurgent Dundee United and Kilmarnock in the mix, hopefully. 

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

Buzzing to reach the top six, had that feeling we were going to St Mirren it, but luck and that big win at Hearts got us there!

finally watched the goals back this morning…very uncharacteristic from us. Think Declan needing to come back in for the last 5 games - strongest team on the park, etc. 

Given how badly we defended against the blue arse cheek, I was surprised that we left our best defender on the bench yesterday.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

18/19 the last time, when 6th had 50. Since then its always been 40 at least.

This season has seen 3 of the top 6 sack their managers for shite form, something i cant remember happening before, so its not surprising teams everywhere are getting more points. 

St Mirren this season should be applauded for not having a shite run, and finishing as one of the best 6 sides in the country is always an achievement, but trying to make it seem even better for no reason by claiming the leagues been really strong this season is just wrong and weird. 

With the exception of the OF and the Jambos every other club has a negative goal difference I think. This does not suggest a strong league  

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Given how badly we defended against the blue arse cheek, I was surprised that we left our best defender on the bench yesterday.

Robbo alluded to the fact he made mistakes yesterday.

Time to move onwards and hopefully upwards.

45 minutes ago, KTID26 said:

You only get to turn up if the opposition allow you to do that. Tactically you were outdone and had no answers. 

Well done on achieving top 6 , the table does not lie. You may find it more difficult next season with Motherwell, Dundee and resurgent Dundee United and Kilmarnock in the mix, hopefully. 

I don't think we were.

You played exactly the same way that Livingston did a few weeks ago and we hammered them.

I couldn't believe I was watching the same players yesterday. They couldn't even make simple two yard pass or execute a cross that didn't provide catching practice for your keeper.

For Power to be MOTM it shows you how badly our midfield played.

However, your players did put in a much better performance than the Livingston players, played very well and thoroughly deserved the victory. So well done indeed.

Edited by FTOF

Just now, KTID26 said:

We can worry about next season next season.  Great thing about making top six is we don’t need to worry about this season, and we usually are.

On the subject of moaning negative Saints fans - I have moaned, moaned about a dreadful performance, another day where St Mirren have the feelgood factor in spades, and we flop. I stand by my view that in isolation, yesterday was a huge disappointment and Thierry Small was an utter idiot, but looking at the season as a whole - well done everyone at St Mirren. All week, I posted that this St Mirren team looked different, would do the job on the day. I believed that 100%, but they flopped, again. This morning, aside from thinking ‘phew, we actually made it’, I’m thinking ‘why the fcuk didn’t I stick twenty quid on a Killie win?’ - easiest money all season.

No matter. Table shows Scotland’s undeniably biggest clubs - Celtic, The Rangers Tribute, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs… and, well, us. Superb. Bring on the Connah’s Total Network Quay Nomad Solutions.

9 minutes ago, KTID26 said:

With the exception of the OF and the Jambos every other club has a negative goal difference I think. This does not suggest a strong league  

Just like last season then?

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

We can worry about next season next season.  Great thing about making top six is we don’t need to worry about this season, and we usually are.

This is a really important aspect of finishing top 6. Now Robinson can start speaking to players about staying and new players about coming in. Teams that are scratching around with the threat of relegation end up being weeks behind others in recruitment. 

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Not for me. If we'd pulled a performance like we did against Motherwell on day one and peppered Killie, losing a snidey goal on the break and finding a keeper in all sorts of heroic form, I'd tend to agree.

But we were soundly beaten today by a team who wanted it more and showed up when the cards were on the table. No complaints on that front from me, I won't be looking back and saying 'what if'.

There are two things that give me a bit of solace going into this home stretch:

1) The week off - you feel with the late collapse last week and the no-show today, the players probably need a bit of space and this break of a week has come probably at a really beneficial time for us. Hearts looked good today (albeit against dreadful opposition) but have still not been in strong form and Hibs have also been shaky so there's still plenty to play for with everyone still to meet everyone else.

2) I strangely feel more comfortable watching us playing teams like Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen than St. Johnstone, Killie and Ross County as the onus is on them to come at us and break us down. We willfully surrender a lot of possession to play to our strengths but when we have the lion's share of the ball, we're just not at the races as much. The last 5 games are going to be 30-35% possession showings in every game and I'm much more comfortable with that as it has turned up the best results for us this season. We're pretty efficient when we don't have the ball as what little we do have with it, we make work. It's when you give us the ball and let us have a wee think that everything goes tits up it seems.

Yeah, that's fair enough. There is 33 games to look back on and say what if as well, Robinson made a good point on the radio, the players earned the right to put in that kind of performance, over 33 games we have been good enough for the top 6. To expand on the mixed emotions and to try and not bring the mood down 😂 up until yesterday 3rd place was very much achievable, depending how the Dons get on today it still might be but it would take them collapsing, which I can't see happening.

I don't fear anyone in the next 5 games though, let's see how it goes. 

16 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I assumed Gallagher was still not fully fit, otherwise he is one of the first names on the team sheet. Shaughnessy had been playing well up until the last 10 at Ibrox last week so fair play to Robinson for staying loyal to him but in hindsight he is starting Gallagher and Small yesterday. 

Tanser and Dunne couldn't cope with Armstrong at all.

15 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Should be but I'm expecting us to get fucked over somehow 

There's no real element of being "fucked over". We have played 17 at home and 16 away pre split. The intention is 19 each by the end of the season so we should be due 3 away and 2 home post split regardless of who we "are due" H & A. 

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

There's no real element of being "fucked over". We have played 17 at home and 16 away pre split. The intention is 19 each by the end of the season so we should be due 3 away and 2 home post split regardless of who we "are due" H & A. 

I meant we'll somehow end up with 1 home and 4 away to appease some old firm nonsense 😂.

So we have played Hibs and Celtic twice at home.

Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen all once at home? We will have to play one of them away, ideally take the hit and go to Ibrox again?

7 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I meant we'll somehow end up with 1 home and 4 away to appease some old firm nonsense 😂.

Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen all once at home? We will have to play one of them away, ideally take the hit and go to Ibrox again?

Would definitely take Ibrox away again.

Hibs away looks like the decider for the Euro spot if it goes by form, if we get Hearts at home that’s got to be a where we pick up points to make it a race. 
There was total complacency yesterday as Killie have a poor away record and were toasted the week before, I hope that’s a lesson to keep our eyes on the prize.  
When Declan came on yesterday he looked so slow getting back and looked like he needs some game time to get back up to speed. 

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Pretty sure it will be 2 H and 3 A. Hibs will be away and I dont see un uglies game being switched so my guess is we will be going to either Tynecastle or Pittodrie with the eith the other game being in Paisley. My guess is blue cheek and Hearts H with green cheek, Aberdeen Hibs away. Just guessing though.

21 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

For we are the super Paisley Saints? Asking for a *** friend obvs.

Actually was never sung like that in days that Saints fans had that “song” in their repertoire.

It was always “we are the Paisley Buddie Boys”.

We dropped that tune a long time ago. 

Unless I’m mistaken. Getting auld is a b*****d. 😂 

Edited by Molotov

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

Actually was sung like that in days that Saints fans had that “song” in their repertoire.

It was always “we are the Paisley Buddie Boys”.

We dropped that tune a long time ago. 

Unless I’m mistaken. Getting auld is a b*****d. 😂 

I concur, yet singing some lyrics to the tune of Marching through Georgia means hee haw if you are Scottish & could not give a wallop about the Glorious Succession. To*y A*rs gonna T*ry A*r though.

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

This is a really important aspect of finishing top 6. Now Robinson can start speaking to players about staying and new players about coming in. Teams that are scratching around with the threat of relegation end up being weeks behind others in recruitment. 

And have lower prize money for their budget.

Glad we budgeted for 7th rather than 10th.

We surpassed that so we're on a great footing for next season.

I hope we bring in real gems, on longer contracts.

Get your passports ready for 2025