The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Larne possibly in for McMenamin. Also quotes from Robinson that he’s still hopeful of a deal but the £200k is nonsense.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/sport/irish-league-club-makes-huge-bid-for-glentorans-conor-mcmenamin-but-st-mirren-still-in-contention/a1184226610.html

I think it was Larne there was an article about on World Soccer the other month. In Irish football terms they are loaded.

On 01/07/2023 at 08:50, djchapsticks said:

Agreed.

Interestingly, this would be the largest initial outlay on a player that we have made in over 30 years. In 1991 we shelled out £150k for Roy Aitken and £125k on Chic Charnley.

We haven't had a six figure spend on a player since then which sounds incredible but shows just how woeful our finances had been for years and how risk averse we've become as a club. 

However, if we wish to stay on the path we're on, it's right in what you say that we can't rely on players from Scotland and England as we'd simply be priced out of the market. Its totally new territory for me as a Saints fan to see a manager backed in the manner he is being and I hope it does pay off.

For the sorta fee being discussed I think McMenamin should be an automatic first team pick (like Aitken & Charnley}) - straightaway.

Given that he's coming from a League that is a sorta FT/PT hybrid I don't think this will be the case and I don't think we should be paying more than a nominal fee for him - say £10-20k.

Edited by btb

5 hours ago, aldo_j said:

I noticed Murray Campbell wasn’t with the squad in Belfast. Has the move to Burnley happened?

He has walked out

He is looking for a club

It turned unsavoury so I think we will get nothing as he is a free agent 

15 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

In all honesty, if it was a straight choice between Steven Fletcher and Curtis Main, what is people's preference?

I feel Fletcher is a shorter term option that could grab goals in this side but Main is so tailor made to the way we play.

Fletcher is the more predatory striker, if he had the chances Main had last season he'd have scored 20 odd. 

Main creates these chances for himself and others though, due to the hardwork he does. Very unselfish player. 

Fletcher wouldn't be able to defend from the front the way Main did but you'd fancy him more to score even a half chance. 

Tldr feck knows, unless Robinson is going to change our style Main probably edges it for me.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Larne possibly in for McMenamin. Also quotes from Robinson that he’s still hopeful of a deal but the £200k is nonsense.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/sport/irish-league-club-makes-huge-bid-for-glentorans-conor-mcmenamin-but-st-mirren-still-in-contention/a1184226610.html

I think it was Larne there was an article about on World Soccer the other month. In Irish football terms they are loaded.

I think McMenamin has said he wants to play at a higher standard of football, so if thats the case you'd hope it would be no contest between us and Larne.

8 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Hadn’t heard of the Ayr or Dundee United games.   

Are these happening?

I’d imagine if the Ayr game is on, it’ll be behind closed doors?

2ECCBC8D-6306-452C-9B19-F025965988DA.jpeg

Seems a bit odd to have 2 games in as many days?  Even considering they are pre-season kick-abouts.

18 hours ago, Mac28 said:

My dad saw something on FB saying Main was reconsidering his options. Not sure how much truth is in it though.

Still need a left wing back and centre back.

Wonder what options Main has to reconsider. Aside from the stuff about Wrexham there haven't been any rumours about where he could end up. You'd have expected something, even if it was just his agent making stuff up to get his name in the papers.

Maybe clubs aren't falling over themselves to double or treble their income after all.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Even if it's not nonsense, I'd still fully expect him to say that.

Oh absolutely - think it emerged the £200k was with add-ons etc. I have concerns about spending six figures on him considering his age (that's more a resale value issue) and where he's playing. I just hope we utilise him correctly. Part of the problem with Imrie (not to re-open that debate) was his debut was about the only time he was played on the correct side.

Edited by Stu

"Sunday Life Sport understands Glentoran owner Ali Pour spoke to McMenamin this week to outline the club’s position and explain why St Mirren’s offers were unacceptable.

But in two phone calls, McMenamin is believed to have been equally firm with Pour about his desire to leave Glentoran for St Mirren."

It's going to happen isn't it? The guy wants to come. 

According to Robbo, Jim Gillespie is the man talking to Glentoran about McMenamin. JG seems to be the club's primary negotiatior in these situations.

(Thought I'd chuck that in as it's been awhile since Kibble got a mention on here....)

21 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

"Sunday Life Sport understands Glentoran owner Ali Pour spoke to McMenamin this week to outline the club’s position and explain why St Mirren’s offers were unacceptable.

But in two phone calls, McMenamin is believed to have been equally firm with Pour about his desire to leave Glentoran for St Mirren."

According to Robbo, Jim Gillespie is the man talking to Glentoran about McMenamin. JG seems to be the club's primary negotiatior in these situations.

(Thought I'd chuck that in as it's been awhile since Kibble got a mention on here....)

You'd have to think that Diarmuid O'Carroll would have had a few words McMenamin's ear whilst they were on NI international duty.

25 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

f**k sake I hope the club is aware these negotiations are taking place.

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Can you imagine if "Mr St Mirren" was doing the negotiating ? It would be all about what's in it for him !

According to Scott Burns you have an 'SPL target' if the McMenamin feal falls through.

We will chuck in Zak Rudden for Trevor Carson. No thanks needed.