The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Just now, GAD said:

We've signed 4 players, one is a keeper which we needed, two are strikers to replace Main/Watt and Brophy (Madron was not who we expected, but he is definitely what we expected). The only different player is McMenamin, who we are hoping brings goals and creativity, something else we badly need.

It's about as far from "scattergun" as you can get, it's actually pretty conservative and very predictable.

Youll feel differently when Fletcher sign next week and youve got about 6 senior strikers.

1 hour ago, Div said:

Hope I’m wrong but find it pretty hard to believe we are looking for as many as three more.

A left wing back is a must, and I suppose if Baccus is leaving we need another one in there but hard to see what else we need unless someone else leaves.

We're short of Shaughnessy, Tait and Small from the squad that finished last season. None of whom have been replaced. The defensive options are significantly weaker than the end of last season to a quite worrying level.

We need at least two new defenders in.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Are you saying McMenamin is a Henderson replacement?

McMenamin will be used up front if youre playing the 3-5-2 again. Mandron is a different type of forward to Main, im sure, despite his size. Id worry Robinson has just spotted a big striker and assumed, as hes been bad for doing at every club it seems like.

Yes this comment cements your theory.

Manager Stephen Robinson said: "We’re delighted to welcome Mikael to the club.

"We’ve searched for a target man all summer to replace Curtis Main and we feel he’ll be a good replacement for Curtis. He’s someone I’ve watched at both Crewe and Gillingham and he’ll bring us experience and a real physical presence.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Youll feel differently when Fletcher sign next week and youve got about 6 senior strikers.

If that happens then I'll start to scratch my head and wonder what on Earth is happening there unless someone is being moved or Nahmani gets knocked back for his work permit.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If that happens then I'll start to scratch my head and wonder what on Earth is happening there unless someone is being moved or Nahmani gets knocked back for his work permit.

Greive and Olusanya to the Saintees for a combined undisclosed "6 figure sum".

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, maybe, but it won't make your comments right now look any less stupid.

8 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, maybe, but it won't make your comments right now look any less stupid.

*shrugs*

To me Mandron is a back up striker youve just signed on a 2yr deal, to join a multitude of other back up options, simply because his physique, which he doesnt use anywhere close to as well as Main did.

Its just a bit daft and saddling you with a bigger squad than you need.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

*shrugs*

To me Mandron is a back up striker youve just signed on a 2yr deal, to join a multitude of other back up options, simply because his physique, which he doesnt use anywhere close to as well as Main did.

Well, if that's the point you thought you were trying to make, maybe that's what you should have said. 

Hopefully a good signing, I can see us going with Mandron and McMenamin as the 2 forwards

We don’t have much cover for the wing back positions, I’m hoping we can bring in someone new of the left to replace Tanser

Some decent delivery from the left to compliment Strain on the right  would greatly enhance us!

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

Well, if that's the point you thought you were trying to make, maybe that's what you should have said. 

It was?

Hes signed Mandron because he likes his size rather than because he actually fulfills a need.

To me thats just scattergunning at a target with no real idea of where hes going to fit in.

Comparing him to Main is just odd to me.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

*shrugs*

I’m pretty sure that Robinson sees Mandron as a first pick. We’ve now got 4 senior forwards (excluding the long term injured Ayunga) exactly as we did last season.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It was?

Hes signed Mandron because he likes his size rather than because he actually fulfills a need.

To me thats just scattergunning at a target with no real idea of where hes going to fit in.

But he clearly has an idea of where he's going to fit in. He's said so, very explicitly. Now, whether or not the guy turns out to be good enough is another matter, but it's clearly not scattergun.

Edited by Coventry Saint

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It was?

He signed Mandron because he wanted a target man. 

Your scattergun comments are just odd to me!

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

*shrugs*

Did you just ignore Robinson's comment about him watching Mandron for two English clubs and seeing him as a direct replacement for Main?

Robinson (and Foyle) clearly do know what he's capable of, if coached correctly.

Curtis Main was useless until Robinson got the best out of him.

He may well prove to be not as good as Main, but your use of the word "Scattergun" shows how little you know of our management team.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It was?

You don't know what a scattergun approach actually is mate.

8 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I’m pretty sure that Robinson sees Mandron as a first pick. 

Then youre in for a shit time of it then, and you should seriously question his judgement.

Hes not daft though, so Mandron will be  back up IMO.

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

But he clearly has an idea of where he's going to fit in. He's said so, very explicitly. Now, whether or not the guy turns out to be good enough is another matter, but it's clearly not scattergun.

Hes talking about him replacing Main despite them being different types of striker, that should be a red flag that hes either lost it, or hes just spinning a yarn for whatever reason.

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Curtis Main was useless until Robinson got the best out of him.

He really wasnt.

Robinsons done well and i understand youre all giddy, but hes got an absolutely dreadful track record of signing big huddy strikers and they flop hard.

Having Main play well shouldnt make you think his record is a net positive in that regard.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

You don't know what a scattergun approach actually is mate.

This is probably it.

To those looking from the outside, it does look like we have an unbalanced squad, with something like eight strikers, so i can see the criticism that its scattergun.

However, of those 8, Ayunga is injured, Offord and Jamieson probably not ready so likely to be loaned out, and Oluyansa couldnt get a regular game for Arbroath last season, so i imagine he'll be away.

We do need to bring in a left back and central defender and i'm sure we will, i expect all the youngsters currently in the squad to be loaned out after the league cup group games.