The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

What a lot of nonsense. He did virtually nothing wrong all game and before the pen ie 85m or so he was foot perfect, came for crosses, saved a couple of shots and generally seemed in command of his box. Pen was soft but the right call but he had little chance as the Ton striker literally run into him after some awful defending. No idea what you saw to merit the full on attack on him.

Thing is with goalkeepers, you can look good for 85 minutes but it takes one or two brain farts and a game is gone.

Hemming was at partial fault for the penalty and fully at fault for getting beaten as his near post by a soft as shite goal for the second.

These things don't inspire confidence at all in my opinion. 

As we were losing in Greenock yesterday big Curtis was dishing out medals to the kids at Johnstone Burgh.

Still living in Elderslie. What a waste 😟

IMG_6966.jpeg

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Thing is with goalkeepers, you can look good for 85 minutes but it takes one or two brain farts and a game is gone.

Hemming was at partial fault for the penalty and fully at fault for getting beaten as his near post by a soft as shite goal for the second.

These things don't inspire confidence at all in my opinion. 

The second goal isn't great yes but the pen was right in front of us (was in the Morton end of the main stand with a couple of mates) and the defence left him in a 1 on 1 and to me it looked like their guy just ran straight into Hemming.  Prior to that I honestly think he was fine. 

Nothing Hemming can do about the Carson situation. It's an odd way for a long association to end if it does but it looks that way. I just find it hard to imagine we sign a guy on loan to sit on the bench all season. If / when Carson does leave we might well sign a keeper on a permanent deal but as said before Langfield knows what he is doing. It seems to me a few folk on here have had it in for Hemming since day 1 which is just Bizarre.

Just now, Buttocks Brown said:

Sweeping judgements made about individual players and the team's prospects on........... the 8th of July (after a friendly).

Never change football message boards!

I am not concerned at all about the team's prospects in terms of balance and ability.

I think it's a fair concern to have though that we, as of writing, have one of the best goalkeepers in the league on our books who is under contract for two more years and are looking intent on replacing him with a keeper who is objectively far weaker than him.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

I am not concerned at all about the team's prospects in terms of balance and ability.

I think it's a fair concern to have though that we, as of writing, have one of the best goalkeepers in the league on our books who is under contract for two more years and are looking intent on replacing him with a keeper who is objectively far weaker than him.

We dont know Robinson is intent on replacing him as no one really knows what the situation is. I'd be absolutely stunned and disappointed if it was simply a case of Robbo looking to replace Carson on purely footballing reasons, I really doubt that is the case but unless ITK and this is all Robbo's doing I think that is not the situation at all.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

We dont know Robinson is intent on replacing him as no one really knows what the situation is. I'd be absolutely stunned and disappointed if it was simply a case of Robbo looking to replace Carson on purely footballing reasons, I really doubt that is the case but unless ITK and this is all Robbo's doing I think that is not the situation at all.

I mean from the rumours, it's Carson's overreaction but they are just that. Rumours.

That being said, it's one of those where you'd need to believe it can be hashed out. The fact is that Carson was at the training ground at least twice last week and still didn't make the match day squad which is not a good sign.

Without wanting to give Random Guy any klout I do find it a bit strange that Robbo said last night he’s looking to bring another striker in.

We currently have eight players in the squad capable of playing up front.

Yet we had one injury yesterday which meant we played a 17 year old kid at LWB first half and a Centre Half there in the second half.

I don’t really mind Tanser but he’s frequently injured (and not particularly good at defending tbh).

Recruiting a LWB should be well above signing another striker in the priority list!

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean from the rumours, it's Carson's overreaction but they are just that. Rumours.

That being said, it's one of those where you'd need to believe it can be hashed out. The fact is that Carson was at the training ground at least twice last week and still didn't make the match day squad which is not a good sign.

I think we all hope it can be resolved but it all depends exactly what Carson has done. It sounds petty from rumours but given the length of their association I just can't help think there is more to it. End of the day no player is bigger than the club. If it is resolveable then hopefully it is, I just don't see this as the manager looking to replace Carson for purely football reasons. Either way it needs resolved as it's helping no one least of all Hemming whose crime to some seems to be not being Carson although not saying that directed at you but a few on here have been down on him since the moment he out pen to paper. 

1 minute ago, Div said:

Without wanting to give Random Guy any klout I do find it a bit strange that Robbo said last night he’s looking to bring another striker in.

Yet we had one injury yesterday which meant we played a 17 year old kid at LWB first half and a Centre Half there in the second half.

I don’t particularly mind Tanser but he’s frequently injured (and not particularly good at defending tbh).

Recruiting a LWB should be well above signing another striker in the priority list!

Starting LWB l, back up RWB for when Strain is goosed. A starting GK are the priorities for me 

3 minutes ago, Div said:

I don’t really mind Tanser but he’s frequently injured (and not particularly good at defending tbh).

Did he say that was the only further addition he was looking at?

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I think we all hope it can be resolved but it all depends exactly what Carson has done. It sounds petty from rumours but given the length of their association I just can't help think there is more to it. End of the day no player is bigger than the club. If it is resolveable then hopefully it is, I just don't see this as the manager looking to replace Carson for purely football reasons. Either way it needs resolved as it's helping no one least of all Hemming whose crime to some seems to be not being Carson although not saying that directed at you but a few on here have been down on him since the moment he out pen to paper. 

I’ve been down on him signing because he isn’t very good at what he’s paid to do. 

I’m fairly confident he won’t start any league games for us because we’ll have a new keeper in by then anyway.

2 minutes ago, Div said:

Agree. Sutherland looked promising but he can't be expected to be thrown straight in at the deep end and it looked pre planned yesterday to have a look at Taylor in that roll after HT. Taylor didn't convince me going forward but I just got the impression that was the plan yesterday ie Sutherland, Taylor and Tanser vieing for that berth which imo is a mistake.

I think we have seen enough of Toyosi to see he isn't good enough and if he is ahead of Jamieson and Offord that speaks volumes about all 3. Need to see the Israeli but so far the new signings look as if they should be 1st choice options with 1 of them and Grieve as back up. Having said all that I can't believe Mains demands are above us given he was dishing out medals to kids 10 miles away yesterday, that's plain odd !!!

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

Agree. Sutherland looked promising but he can't be expected to be thrown straight in at the deep end

Sutherland has a ton of potential as a winger.

Defensively though, you can tell he has never played wing back. A better right winger would have really taken advantage of the space he was leaving. 

2 minutes ago, Div said:

No he didn’t to be fair. 

That wasn't a dig, btw. I haven't seen the interview.

Perhaps he highlighted the striking area as we failed to score (despite seemingly having plenty of chances). Certainly a few folk on here have highlighted it following the game.

3 minutes ago, SS77 said:

I’ve been down on him signing because he isn’t very good at what he’s paid to do. 

I’m fairly confident he won’t start any league games for us because we’ll have a new keeper in by then anyway.

Based on what exactly, a ten game spell at Killie immediately after an excellent season for them I assume. Carson was exactly the same form wise when he signed, its literally deja vue a season on.

I’m definitely not writing Hemming off but it stands to reason that a 24 year old with a handful of top flight games under his belt (games which ultimately saw him dropped) is going to be a step down from hugely experienced international keeper who was certainly in our top three performers last season.

If Jamie and Robbo think Hemming is good enough to be our number 1 then that’s their call to make and that’s what they are paid for.

It’s a very, very big call though!