The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Olusanya has all the traits to be footballer. He's fast, he's unorthodox enough in that he can totally bamboozle defenders, not through skill or trickery but sheer confusion and as a result, finds himself on the end of quite a lot of goalscoring opportunities.

His composure, decision making and finishing though is honestly, woeful. Some of the poorest I've seen at our level. If it was just below par, he'd get away with it. You give him 5 good chances and he puts one away and forces a good stop from another, that's poor for a striker but you get away with it.

I honestly wouldn't fancy him to put home one in ten though. It's seriously bad which is a shame as there is definitely a bit of upside to him but if you're a striker, you can't be that bad taking the chances that present themselves.

4 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

We haven't played in Montrose in the guts of 50 years competitively so there could well be plenty like me who, despite following Saints for 40 odd years have never been to Links Park. I'm going purely for that reason as there are very few grounds left I haven't seen us play in bar the obvious newer additions. Four of us coming on the train and a day out, I expect a good few others will be seeing this similarly. I would hope 500+.

I’ll be heading to Montrose for the first time myself, it’s a bit easier for me now that I live in Fife, train from Markinch via Dundee and takes just over an hour 👍

2 minutes ago, budmiester1 said:

I’ll be heading to Montrose for the first time myself, it’s a bit easier for me now that I live in Fife, train from Markinch via Dundee and takes just over an hour 👍

There's always a downside.

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Olusanya has all the traits to be footballer. He's fast, he's unorthodox enough in that he can totally bamboozle defenders, not through skill or trickery but sheer confusion and as a result, finds himself on the end of quite a lot of goalscoring opportunities.

His composure, decision making and finishing though is honestly, woeful. Some of the poorest I've seen at our level. If it was just below par, he'd get away with it. You give him 5 good chances and he puts one away and forces a good stop from another, that's poor for a striker but you get away with it.

I honestly wouldn't fancy him to put home one in ten though. It's seriously bad which is a shame as there is definitely a bit of upside to him but if you're a striker, you can't be that bad taking the chances that present themselves.

At the risk of sending the Motherwell Fans Bat Signal into the skies above this thread, I seem to remember them suggesting a year ago that Robinson likes signing guys with the attributes of Olusanya with the believe he can then improve their footballing ability with coaching. Presumably it's easier (and cheaper!) doing that than bringing in someone who is a better finisher and trying to make them quicker or stronger.

Given the comments on here from the friendlies, wouldn't surprise me if he's given up on thinking he can do that with Olusanya. His spell out injured last year probably didn't help in terms of trying to coach him.

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

At the risk of sending the Motherwell Fans Bat Signal into the skies above this thread, I seem to remember them suggesting a year ago that Robinson likes signing guys with the attributes of Olusanya with the believe he can then improve their footballing ability with coaching. Presumably it's easier (and cheaper!) doing that than bringing in someone who is a better finisher and trying to make them quicker or stronger.

Given the comments on here from the friendlies, wouldn't surprise me if he's given up on thinking he can do that with Olusanya. His spell out injured last year probably didn't help in terms of trying to coach him.

Probably the same idea that Middlesborough had when they signed him from Billericay Town.

It's the sort of signing that Livingston seem to make, but theirs tend to develop into decent players.

3 minutes ago, Div said:

Have to say it's a slightly baffling recruitment strategy but I'm going to give Robbo and Foyle the benefit of the doubt!

He did change the shape on Saturday after the subs and went 523/343

He went McMenamin right, Mandron centre and Kiltie left. So with that setup up he probably needs 6 players. Imagine Offord and Olusanya definitely go, with Jamieson spare. 

We do need a left wing back desperately though 

14 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Does that description rule out or rule in Curtis Main?

I'd say it definitely fits his description! Heard a few folk saying that ship had sailed though which is why he's not even in my thoughts.

Hear me out though - what if it turns out that it's Aaron Pressley?

15 minutes ago, Div said:

IMG_7066.jpeg

Goodbye Curtis,  welcome ******  .

Top 6 or top 5?

Great we've kept a good core (so far at least) and mixed it up.

Usual aims - score more, leak less, win more and have a more successful season.

Maybe sell someone and unearth fresh assets too.

And all these things will please most fans.

This has hyped up the expectations. 

25 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd say it definitely fits his description! Heard a few folk saying that ship had sailed though which is why he's not even in my thoughts.

Hear me out though - what if it turns out that it's Aaron Pressley?

Have never seen him play but I’d probably be more excited by his signing than Main. At least you’d have the hope of him turning out to be something special! 

Is he quick though?