The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

35 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Twitter is certainly entertaining tonight with delusional Hearts fans.

They think 350K plus Alan Forrest and Halliday will bag them Ryan Strain. :lol:

And there convinced we are skint so will except buttons.

35 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Forrest is not bad but Halliday is pish. Strain is way too good for Hearts

39 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Away tae F**k with that. Strain is worth a lot more than that.

27 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

If only that’s what he said.

Only, he didn’t.

He said foreign leagues, when the answer is under their nose in Scotland. 

Ah, I see, I didn’t actually hear the conversation, was just posing a question to someone who had

So you’re saying he wants Scottish teams to sign foreigners who were signed by other Scottish teams from foreign leagues instead of trying to sign foreigners directly from foreign leagues?

Makes perfect sense 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

4 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Ah, I see, I didn’t actually hear the conversation, was just posing a question to someone who had

So you’re saying he wants Scottish teams to sign foreigners who were signed by other Scottish teams from foreign leagues instead of trying to sign foreigners directly from foreign leagues?

Makes perfect sense 

You nailed it. 😎

8 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Makes perfect sense 

No, not really.

Never mind, you’re just being facetious because I debunked your earlier post, which was entire bollocks 😆

15 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Strange times IMO.

There have been no recent rumours in the press, or any other media sources, about English Championship teams who are ready to "swoop" or "pounce" for Ryan Strain.

Or Keanu Baccus. 

Or Mark O'Hara.

WTF ? These guys would cruise it at English Championship level. And they would probably be available at a price they could easily afford. 

Genuinely, I am bamboozled by the apparent lack of interest in these guys. Not disappointed, just bamboozled. 

What championship managers are looking for, apart from ability, is physicality, and that i believe is why there has been no known interest in Strain and O'Hara and only interest from League 1 in Baccus.

As the captain said, O'Hara had a spell in England and was let go. Stevie Mallan wasnt played at Barnsley, the same with McGrath at Wigan.

We all know Strain's ability, but he is on the small side and that may be what puts off English clubs. 

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Thing is - and I hate to be the voice of crushing realism here - but £350k plus two players would probably do it. Not Halliday and Forrest, obviously. But it'd be close.

Sorry.

You're probably correct.

However, in the positions we require, Hearts don't have anyone of sufficient quality that they'd be willing to part with.

Halliday and Forrest would be lucky to get a game in the (Scottish) championship.

Edited by FTOF

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Thing is - and I hate to be the voice of crushing realism here - but £350k plus two players would probably do it. Not Halliday and Forrest, obviously. But it'd be close.

Sorry.

I know Halliday gets a lot of stick but he'd be a good addition for us. Could cover left wing back and could play in midfield. He wouldn't be a regular starter though (possibly if Baccus leaves) so I doubt if we'd be willing to stump up for his wage demands.

As for Forrest, I like him but I think we're well covered in that area.

All moot points though as I seriously doubt Strain is going to Hearts, despite what some plonker on their equivalent of Black and White Army says.

Edited by houston_bud

57 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

No, not really.

Never mind, you’re just being facetious because I debunked your earlier post, which was entire bollocks 😆

Your needless attempt at scoring points, for no reason whatsoever, has blown up on you.

You’ve made an arse of it 😉😜

Edited by Captain_Sensible

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

I know Halliday gets a lot of stick but he'd be a good addition for us. Could cover left wing back and could play in midfield. He wouldn't be a regular starter though (possibly if Baccus leaves) so I doubt if we'd be willing to stump up for his wage demands.

As for Forrest, I like him but I think we're well covered in that area.

All moot points though as I seriously doubt Strain is going to Hearts, despite what some plonker on their equivalent of Black and White Army says.

Halliday's legs are just about gone at this level. We'd be significantly downgrading our options at both LWB and centre mid by adding him.

Plus he's an arsehole and Robbo has a no arseholes policy remember.

Aside from the physicality issue as @Hendo pointed out, I think there is also the age issue.

Strain is no youngster, he’s 26 and will be 27 in April. There’s no big opportunity to sell him on in future. At 25, Baccus is not far behind. 

Strain is also playing as a wing back for us and we finished top 6. For Championship teams that play with a flat back 4, especially mid table and bottom half, they’ll be looking at the defensive abilities of a right back.

I actually don’t see Strain or Baccus moving this summer. 

I’ll probably be wrong….. but hopefully not. These guys suit us, our style of play and our level of football. 

I would love us to keep Baccus and Strain and give us our best chance to be well up the league at the next transfer window . If we are going well , clubs will be sniffing round our better players and wr might get a couple of decent bids coming in . Also better players from other clubs will be interested in coming to us . 

Edited by MenstrieSaint

I’d be fairly certain that Baccus will go.

The market will have seen what we were prepared to sell at with Bolton and I reckon that will tempt someone else from down South to take a punt on him once he’s fully fit again.

Strain is a less clear cut situation.

He would be nigh on impossible for us to replace and regardless of his defensive qualities he’s almost certainly going to top our goal assist charts this season not to mention weighing in with a handful of free kick goals himself.

He is almost priceless to us in that regard and you’d like to think the board realise that and put a realistic value on his head.

We are a selling club end of the day, who isn’t, but in his case we have to play hardball.

42 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Sorry.

That wasn't far off what Hibs were offering us a couple of summer transfer windows ago for McGrath and we accepted it only for it to fall through.