The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

9 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Just caught up with 5 pages of posts on here.

I can see @Ric's point about Carson, even though I don't agree with him, because I rated him very highly. I actually believe he was better than Hladky and Alnwick, a comment that I don't believe would have been controversial prior to his petulance. My views on the matter are essentially: 

i) There's no way we should be paying him to train, and I agree that he cannot be part of the team given that he clearly doesn't want to play for us anymore. Our players should be proud to don the shirt.

ii) He needs to be got rid of to set an example to other players that we will not tolerate that sort of disruptive behaviour.

iii) His continued presence might unsettle other players.

iv) Any sort of pay off, to get him off the books, would have been immoral.

Even if Carson has a sensational season for Dundee, we need to have some pride as a club. This was the right decision, IMHO.

I cannot remember who it was who made the excellent point about hos Carson's selfish antics would have possibly affected Urminsky's confidence going into the Rangers game. Of course, that's speculation, but it's a valid point and certainly it could have done. The guy's an arse and I hope everybody boos him and lets him know that he's seen for the scumbag he is. 

If he's egotistical enough to spit the dummy out over not being played in what was a meaningless game, then I think booing and jeering will get to him. You'd have to be pretty thick-skinned not to notice several thousand fans' boos at all. If it does and especially if he concedes a howler or a few goals, then it may knock his confidence and lead to him having an underwhelming season. 

"Fucking boooooo!" 🤬

Opposition keepers generally go unnoticed and are not under pressure from home fans away from home. 

Boooing him will indeed probably rattle him and hopefully he’ll concede a howler 

10 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Just caught up with 5 pages of posts on here.

I can see @Ric's point about Carson, even though I don't agree with him, because I rated him very highly. I actually believe he was better than Hladky and Alnwick, a comment that I don't believe would have been controversial prior to his petulance. My views on the matter are essentially: 

i) There's no way we should be paying him to train, and I agree that he cannot be part of the team given that he clearly doesn't want to play for us anymore. Our players should be proud to don the shirt.

ii) He needs to be got rid of to set an example to other players that we will not tolerate that sort of disruptive behaviour.

iii) His continued presence might unsettle other players.

iv) Any sort of pay off, to get him off the books, would have been immoral.

Even if Carson has a sensational season for Dundee, we need to have some pride as a club. This was the right decision, IMHO.

I cannot remember who it was who made the excellent point about hos Carson's selfish antics would have possibly affected Urminsky's confidence going into the Rangers game. Of course, that's speculation, but it's a valid point and certainly it could have done. The guy's an arse and I hope everybody boos him and lets him know that he's seen for the scumbag he is. 

If he's egotistical enough to spit the dummy out over not being played in what was a meaningless game, then I think booing and jeering will get to him. You'd have to be pretty thick-skinned not to notice several thousand fans' boos at all. If it does and especially if he concedes a howler or a few goals, then it may knock his confidence and lead to him having an underwhelming season. 

"Fucking boooooo!" 🤬

Agree with all of this apart from the better than Hladky and Alnwick opinion. But that's fitba!

3 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Opposition keepers generally go unnoticed and are not under pressure from home fans away from home. 

Boooing him will indeed probably rattle him and hopefully he’ll concede a howler 

I can’t imagine our keepers enjoy playing at home with the OF fans at their back. I expect that Dundee fans will obviously try to rattle our new number one. I’m sure he will cope though 👍

Just now, mylothedog said:

Agree with all of this apart from the better than Hladky and Alnwick opinion. But that's fitba!

For me . 

#3 Carson 

#2 Hladky 

#1 Alnwick 

In my opinion, I thought Alnwick was more commanding of his area and a great shot blocker, better than both of the other two. 

Hladky had superb mobility and agility ( & wasn’t too back with penalties !)  

Carson wasn’t as good as either of them in those departments and was a couple of inches too wee for a keeper. 

Hladky is by a considerable distance a class above both Alnwick and Carson. 
Hladky had the all round game that both other keepers didn’t have. 
Hladky can easily play as a defender when required, and his kicking and control with both feet is the best I’ve seen in over 50 years of following St Mirren.

17 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Hladky can easily play as a defender when required, and his kicking and control with both feet is the best I’ve seen in over 50 years of following St Mirren.

This is spot on, Alnwick and Carson both did very well for us but shocked that anyone would put either them ahead of Hladky.

1 hour ago, callum-g said:

For me . 

#3 Carson 

#2 Hladky 

#1 Alnwick 

In my opinion, I thought Alnwick was more commanding of his area and a great shot blocker, better than both of the other two. 

Hladky had superb mobility and agility ( & wasn’t too back with penalties !)  

Carson wasn’t as good as either of them in those departments and was a couple of inches too wee for a keeper. 

Of course - he has wee man syndrome 

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Can he tackle and mark though? 

33 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Appreciate the link. Whatever the winning design looks like, given some of the blurb accompanying kit launches across the UK this season, the accompanying story come launch on the website needs to be….

Announcing the new 3rd strip from St Mirren FC. The design features a subtle background image depicting the famous North Bank roofless lavvies from Love Street. Featuring breatheable micro-mesh clima-cool under oxter moisture wicking bollox, the new St Mirren 3rd strip reflects the history, heritage, and proud tradition of steaming pish in the freezing cold at those famous Love Street midweek games in January against diddies like Gretna.

Our club. Our shirt. Our urinals.