The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

15 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

I suppose given Thierry Small's rejoined us, then that will exhaust our budget, perhaps? Although I would expect that to be subsidised by Southampton.

There is still budget available but given how good things are currently, keeping some money back for the January window or for emergencies is no bad thing.

I wouldn't blame Robinson for jumping to Hibs but would be terrible timing for us. Football is weird and as good as we're playing at the moment, we can equally go on a honking run and he comes under pressure. 

I'm not sure it is the right time for Hibs to get him either- Robinson has a certain style and without the players to fit it can be a bit of a struggle. You only need to look at when we brought him in post Goodwin, he struggled to get a tune out of that team.

We had all the same arguments about JG as we're having now about SR.

Like it or not Hibs is a step up and a manager with ambition will be taking an improved position with a view to the one afterwards in 2/3 years time.

My worry is that after three good appointments in 5 years the "law of averages" will not be in our favour next time.

Think Gus won a couple of manager of the month awards just before we left Love Street, can't think of one since then when we've been in the top flight.

Last player of the month? I vaguely remember Stephen McPhee maybe winning the young player of the month award (is that award even still a thing?), not sure of anyone since then.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Think Gus won a couple of manager of the month awards just before we left Love Street, can't think of one since then when we've been in the top flight.

Last player of the month? I vaguely remember Stephen McPhee maybe winning the young player of the month award (is that award even still a thing?), not sure of anyone since then.

Did O'Hara not win it last year? I probably just made that up because he should have.

13 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Did O'Hara not win it last year? I probably just made that up because he should have.

It seems that the last player to win a monthly (not young player) award for us while playing in the top flight was Kenny McLean back in April 2014.

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Has he even been St Mirren's best player this month?

Arguably not. Still throwing a lot of crosses into the box though.

I might have had Richard Taylor ahead of him personally and perhaps one or two others (can you give a supersub Player of the Month? :D)

27 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Arguably not. Still throwing a lot of crosses into the box though.

I might have had Richard Taylor ahead of him personally and perhaps one or two others (can you give a supersub Player of the Month? :D)

I would have given it to Taylor as well. Saying that i am delighted for Strain. Top player

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

Screenshot_20230901_120939_Instagram.jpg

That's all we need right now! 😂 Seriously, it is deserved. 

1 hour ago, medals said:

There is still budget available but given how good things are currently, keeping some money back for the January window or for emergencies is no bad thing.

Aye, no point in spending it on the wrong players, either.

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

I wouldn't blame Robinson for jumping to Hibs but would be terrible timing for us. Football is weird and as good as we're playing at the moment, we can equally go on a honking run and he comes under pressure. 

I'm not sure it is the right time for Hibs to get him either- Robinson has a certain style and without the players to fit it can be a bit of a struggle. You only need to look at when we brought him in post Goodwin, he struggled to get a tune out of that team.

I have to hold my hands up - I wasn't convinced he was right for us. I am pleased to have been proved wrong.