The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

42 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Good news about Hibs going with Montgomery. There's realistically no chance in a world of zoom that he's flying literally halfway around the world for a job he's not being offered or taking so think we can breathe easy.

For now.

Wait for a few months and a run of St Mirren defeats, and the fans on here desperate for Robinson to stay will be hounding him.

26 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Wait for a few months and a run of St Mirren defeats, and the fans on here desperate for Robinson to stay will be hounding him.

I think you have enough to worry about without losing sleep over the teams at the top end of the league.

30 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The fickle nature of supporters will always see that happen in some quarters.

Given our first aim is always 40 points and not in bottom two, If we carry on With good form for a few months before hitting a bad spell, I can promise you no significant numbers of fans will be baying for his head

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The fickle nature of supporters will always see that happen in some quarters.

Given our first aim is always 40 points and not in bottom two, If we carry on With good form for a few months before hitting a bad spell, I can promise you no significant numbers of fans will be baying for his head

You may well be right, but I wouldn't bank on it.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Didn’t happen with Jack Ross or Jim Goodwin, who got off to less than stellar starts at St Mirren. We’d had enough of the revolving door at that point. If we do go on a shite run, Robinson & O’Carroll will be just fine. Would have to be such a shite run that we ended up down and dirty with the league’s ‘meh’ teams, like Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts before our BoD got all Cormacky.

Robinson has a lot of credit in the bank, I don't think many fans would be calling for him to be emptied after a bad run.

Apart from a wee spell from Tommy Craig through to Alec Rae, we've actually tended to stick with managers. MacPherson and Lennon both had a few dreadul runs, Ross when he first joined, Goodwin and Robinson when he came in all had poor runs too.

Stubbs was a bit different, he didn't get binned because of a bad run.

I'd hate to be like Hibs and getting rid of managers left, right and centre.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

You may well be right, but I wouldn't bank on it.

I would. Our support, moaning b*****ds though we are, don't tend to bay for blood inless its really, really getting bad. The last time we did so was Stubbs and before that as mentioned we went through a mad spell with Craig, Murray and Rae.

4 minutes ago, Dagdagh said:

Well that's Hibs out of the way (hopefully) and Goodwin really shat the bed in terms of Aberdeen trying to poach the St Mirren Manager the only worry now is Hearts. Hopefully Kettlewell will catch their eye.

Shirley that only happens if Well are doing better than us?

6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Good news about Hibs going with Montgomery. There's realistically no chance in a world of zoom that he's flying literally halfway around the world for a job he's not being offered or taking so think we can breathe easy.

BBC reporting that Hibs will interview 5 candidates. As you say though, Montgomery looks like a shoe-in. Maybe they've just put that out to keep him on his toes.

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

If Montgomery flies over, and they still poach Robinson, we'll take Montgomery. And he'll still be in a job with us long after Robinson's been booted for not playing football the Hibs way.

To be fair, quite a few Hibs managers have been fired because they were playing football the hibs way

16 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

BBC reporting that Hibs will interview 5 candidates. As you say though, Montgomery looks like a shoe-in. Maybe they've just put that out to keep him on his toes.

If Robinson was one of those candidates  there would have been something from the club along lines of 'blah blah blah, met clause, blah blah blah, reluctantly granted permission to speak to Hibs'

Until that comes out, there's no panic.

1 hour ago, btb said:

Shirley that only happens if Well are doing better than us?

Kettlewell has shown he can take an underperforming squad and make them solid.  Robbo has shown he can build a really good team if you give him time.  If I'm at Hearts Kettlewell looks the better fit right now.