The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Just like to highlight how important our substitutions have been by Robbo this season in securing some very positive results:

Cowdenbeath 0-1 - Olusanya 94min

Hibs  2-3 - Greive 89min

Aberdeen 2-2 Grieve 76min

Livingston 1-1 Nahmani 96min

Hibs 2-2 Jamieson 92mins

18 hours ago, Eednud said:

Kean Baccus and Ryan Strain in the Australian squad for WC2026 qualifiers v Bangladesh in Melbourne on Nov 16 and Palestine in Kuwait on Nov 21 

Alex Greive is in the NZ squad for games v Greece in Athens Nov 17 and Republic of Ireland in Dublin Nov 21

McMenamin in the N. Ireland squad.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Thinking about the transfer window. If you could strengthen the side what position do we need better quality in? 

For me it's be another midfield player. I think O'Hara and Boyd Munce are a wee bit too similar to play together so if Baccus is struggling with injury/suspension I'd like one more option in the middle of the park.

That's it really. The return of Ayunga should like a signing, so I think we're ok on that front.

We're well covered defensively - both in the back 3 and at wing back.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Thinking about the transfer window. If you could strengthen the side what position do we need better quality in? 

I'd like a quality left winger - would be good to have the option of having pace down the left. Kiltie does a good job but his best work is done in central areas. If we had Tanser and a left winger overlapping we could seriously cause opposition managers a headache

Someone like Lewis McCann, Matty Kennedy or Scott Tiffoney

In dreamland I would take Youan from Hibs :lol: 

Edited by Doakes

3 hours ago, AW saint said:

I'd take another Richard Taylor type for CB to free up Goga for the midfield.

And a fast wide winger who scores for fun.

But given we've a number of players due to leave next summer, it would be great to get some replacements in the January window so they get 6 months to get up to speed for our European campaign 

3 hours ago, AW saint said:

Unless anyone leaves, I’d be looking at positions where the current first choice is unlikely to be here next season. Essentially, right wing-back, defensive midfield and probably goalkeeper - would likely make the transition over the summer easier, although could leave us with a slightly bloated squad until June.

Would also take a 20-goal striker…

4 hours ago, medals said:

I'd take another Richard Taylor type for CB to free up Goga for the midfield. 

Isn't that what Bolton is supposed to be ?

Does anyone else think Connor McMenamin needs a wee spell on the bench ? Lately he seems to be low in confidence and has been struggling to zip past his defender. Maybe a spell as a last 20 minutes impact substitute might benefit him.

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Does anyone else think Connor McMenamin needs a wee spell on the bench ? Lately he seems to be low in confidence and has been struggling to zip past his defender. Maybe a spell as a last 20 minutes impact substitute might benefit him.

Saying this for a while. We have enough forward players to bench him. 

1 hour ago, callum-g said:

I’d go for Yan Dhanda from County . Out of contract end of season i believe 

I'm certain he'll be one of the players that Martin Foyle will be running the rule over.

He falls into the category of a very good player, but a bit raw and needs to be more consistent.

Ideal material for Robinson and Co. to mould into a more complete player.

14 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Yes Bolton is supposed to be cover for CB and RB but he's not getting any match time for a while now. So why not? If he was as good as we'd hoped he'd have dislodged Goga or at least came on for Strain more often - unless he's got some issues.

My point is Taylor is a real gem - good football brain, speed, great in the tackle or in the air, hits good passes mostly etc.

Another like him would be a huge asset and we could leak less goals.

I agree on Conor. He is tricky but is either not adjusted to Scottish football yet or not as good as we hoped.

Plenty others deserving a start ahead of him and he could play the last half hour.

Be interesting when Jonah is fully fit and on form to see how we will play.

Our squad though is the best we've had for quite some time with subs that are good too.

13 hours ago, Danny said:

We need good cover for Ryan Strain We’re well short here Flynnie is OK but it’s a down on our currrent options

SR also said Small can cover RB. I'm surprised we've not seen him there. He is good going forward like Strain is.

23 minutes ago, medals said:

image.thumb.png.0e7dbac99606d397198f5b90d314194d.png

O'Hara missing. Bench not offering much midfield cover like for like.

Can see Goga moving in there if Baccus or CBM comes off.

Here's hoping for 3 points.

I would say that midfield looks strong enough especially going forward. If an enforcer is needed Gogic can move into midfield plenty cover in defence and the striker department. I see a Saints win here.