The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Not much of note in the SMISA meeting tonight. Was hoping for a bit of transfer window intel....

The fifteen 1.6x0.8m "Mirren Mile" banners should be installed in March with the official launch v Hearts on April 6th.

The Charitable Foundation, helped by SMISA funding, is continuing to do great work: 300+ meals/hampers went out of the club on Xmas Day to those in need.

Lots of talk on how to grow SMISA numbers (1200 members but 5000 home fans at games). An U16 Junior SMISA membership will launch in a couple of months: £30/year with benefits TBC.

Just to make sure it wasn't all positive, Kenny somebody had a right good moan at the end about SMISA's hiring of a media consultant many months ago. I zoned out at that point.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

I always wanted it work work out for Greive. Whilst he's not been terrible and has chipped in with some very important goals, he doesn't look like he's going to nail down a regular place any time soon. Maybe the run of games will see him improve and he'll come back all guns blazing. Or has he played his last game for us?

Does anyone know when his contract is up?

15 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I always wanted it work work out for Greive. Whilst he's not been terrible and has chipped in with some very important goals, he doesn't look like he's going to nail down a regular place any time soon. Maybe the run of games will see him improve and he'll come back all guns blazing. Or has he played his last game for us?

Does anyone know when his contract is up?

Contract is up in the summer.

I like Greive, he works hard and can be a real pain for defenders but after 2 years at the club I don’t think he’s improved enough to be anything other than an option off the bench.

52 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Contract is up in the summer.

I like Greive, he works hard and can be a real pain for defenders but after 2 years at the club I don’t think he’s improved enough to be anything other than an option off the bench.

I think that's fair. Good chance we've seen the last of him if his contract is up in the summer. I wouldn't be upset if we kept him on, but I'd expect Robinson will be looking to bring in some new faces.

I see Greive very much in the same vein as Jay Henderson.

There is something decent there, but is it enough for the top flight? I'm not so sure.

I think the one thing we'd all agree is that Greive was a better sub than he ever was a starter. I can't ever recall him really impressing in any game that he started in, perhaps that's unfair but that's my memories of him anyway.

The decision to cut Henderson lose got a wee bit flak here and there at the time but given the dismal impression he's made in Dingwall it looks like it was the correct move, and I suspect that whilst Greive may well score a few goals in the Championship I'd be very surprised if we see him back in the stripes again.

Cracking attitude and seems like a great boy so wish him every success at Tannadice.

26 minutes ago, Div said:

Cracking attitude and seems like a great boy so wish him every success at Tannadice.

Cracking attitude - agreed but if they get promoted & if they keep him he'll be marginalised in the top flight again, I feel he's more Airdrie, Ayr or Morten level.

Again we're facing our eternal problem - getting in a striker with that wee bit extra needed to get into the 10-15 league goals a season in the top flight.

I liked Greive too. Can only add to the comments that he had a great attitude, contributed, obviously not prolific, but was far from a failure or a waste of a wage etc. If we never see him back, best wishes to him. I think he’s a good signing for the Arabs. One of those guys who, if he returned in a game wearing a tangerine jersey, would receive a warm round of applause the first time he ventured near the West Bank.

From me, Greive just isn't ever going to be a regular top-flight starter. He's far better suited to coming off the bench for the last half hour against tiring defences and putting himself about.

That said, a very likeable player who puts himself about and gets stuck in and is actually capable to chipping in with a few late, late goals.

Best of luck to him.

I don't expect to see Grieve in the stripes again - if he flops at Tannadice we won't offer him a new contract, if he succeeds there we won't be able to outbid Dundee United for a new contract. 

A bit sad, I still think there's a player there.  ☹️

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I don't expect to see Grieve in the stripes again - if he flops at Tannadice we won't offer him a new contract, if he succeeds there we won't be able to outbid Dundee United for a new contract. 

Pretty much how I feel . Comes across as a decent lad , always gives %100 . But the reality is that there is only room for five strikers in a squad and if we are looking for a new striker one has to go to free up a wage . Think he will do very well in the Championship .

47 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Maybe not after the losses announced by United today (oooft! Sair yin), but generally yes, I agree with your point. 

Aiden Gilmarton going on loan to Stranraer - thought he was already out on loan somewhere but maybe not. Either way can't see it making much difference to the budget.

6 minutes ago, AW saint said:

I think its tine Ethan Sutherland was given more game time. The lad looked excellent pre season

It may be the wrong stage of the season for Sutherland to feature. I agree the lad looked very promising in a few pre-season games, but I feel he would benefit from spending a bit more time in the gym to bulk up. Similar to Ethan Erhahon, who was a bit lightweight at first but improved significantly after a chunk of pre-season weight training. His body shape changed massively. The same would benefit Sutherland IMO.

One of our strikers was always going to leave, would much rather it was Olusanya than Grieve but here we are. After all Grieve has more goals than Olusanya this season despite playing far less minutes. I guess there weren’t any Championship clubs willing to take Toyosi off of our hands after his unsuccessful spell on loan to Arbroath this time last season.