The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Why would a low number of draws be bad news ?

Victories get us 3 points, drawn games only get us 1 point. In reality, every draw is 2 points dropped or 1 point gained depending on the circumstances. Obviously a drawn match is preferable to a defeat, but it's still 2 potential points lost.

Too many draws will get you relegated.

You've answered your own question.

Of course, we need to look at each game individually, when is a draw 2 points dropped and when is it a good point?

We've won the same amount of games as Kilmarnock, yet sit 3 points behind them. Had we drawn with them in Paisley, rather than losing, we'd be equal with them on points. We've lost 3 more games than Kilmarnock and Dundee. As I said, only Livingston have lost more games than us.

I'm not suggesting we should be playing for a draw against other teams, just pointing out that when we don't win we tend to get beat rather than hanging on for a draw. 

15 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Unpopular opinion but it’s going to be bad news if we don’t sell Keanu before the end of this window #CashIn. 

His agent will likely already have a PCA in place. They hold the aces.

53 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

11.30 pm tomorrow is when the transfer window closes. So, one more day of uncertainty. 

I know but anyone really expect final day drama for us?

Baccus very much at the Asian cup and even if we did let him go, and it was possible to get the paperwork done, it would only be for a decent load of dosh.

We have more important players.

Just now, saintmurn said:

Having Baccus for the rest of this seasons top 6/European push (and then him leaving for nothing) is better than letting him go for buttons IMO. 

Suspect the vast majority of us agree with that.

However it's unlikely he'll leave for buttons.

And if his agent is keen to push a deal through we don't need to cave for anything that is not significant. 

1 hour ago, medals said:

Suspect the vast majority of us agree with that.

However it's unlikely he'll leave for buttons.

And if his agent is keen to push a deal through we don't need to cave for anything that is not significant. 

If he isn’t sold in the next few hours, he will leave for no buttons whatsoever.  

Baccus highly unlikely to be going to any potential suitors this window while ensconced in a tournament camp thousands of miles away. No way he's leaving the squad for transfer negotiations, medicals, contract signing etc. And the level of clubs likely to be interested will not be sending teams out there to do that even assuming the Oz boss agreed which surely would be a no.

8 minutes ago, AW saint said:

If only. I simply cannot see this happening for us sadly. Van veen could make a massive difference up front for us but i think we wont be at the racrs. If hearts want him its a no brainer. 

Hearts saying a move is 'unlikely', Killie only in for a defender.

Motherwell also not ruled out a move at this point.

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If we ended up with Stav away and KVV in, I’d definitely take that!

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I doubt we have the budget left for such a signing, but the banter and meltdown from Motherwell fans would be priceless.

23 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

He definitely won't be coming to us.

Whoever he does go to though when was the last time he played? Must be miles off match fitness. 

He’d still score

more than anyone we have even if he was half fit 

1 hour ago, Stan Bo said:

He definitely won't be coming to us.

Whoever he does go to though when was the last time he played? Must be miles off match fitness. 

November apparently. 

I reckon that website has just looked at the table and guessed what clubs would he interested / have a chance of signing him.

As much as I'd be delighted to bring him in, I can't see it. Also, he's hardly kicked a ball this year, so no guarantee he'll hit the numbers he did last year.