The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

There wasn't a bad performance in our team today and a few standouts. Scott still looks a bit short of fitness but I thought he did well. Kwon and Bwomono were both excellent. 

Marcus Fraser deserves a mention, as he's been playing left side of the back three and still churning out his usual solid performances.

Caveat everything by saying that Hibs are an absolute gang, but a very good showing from an under strength side. 

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Elvis is doing fine but he'll know the script. He's Strain's backup until next season and from what we've seen he will deputise just fine and be a decent replacement.

Since Strain is normally knacked around the 70mins make, Elvis will be a good sub for him and i expect he will still get mins on the pitch most games. 

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

Sorry, wasnt counting Dundee given they've just come up, and Dundee is also a shithole not deserving of city status.

By City clubs I meant Aberdeen, Hertz & Hibs - Dundee are diddies like ourselves.

Spotty for the confusion.

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Marcus Fraser deserves a mention, as he's been playing left side of the back three and still churning out his usual solid performances.

Fraser must be a managers dream, turns up does the job as a solid 6 out 10  and arguably higher most weeks, causes no hassle and gets on with it.

11 hours ago, thomas said:

Fraser must be a managers dream, turns up does the job as a solid 6 out 10  and arguably higher most weeks, causes no hassle and gets on with it.

I think he's a 7/10 most wks. He does the boring stuff like reading the game so well that it seems his task is easy. Occasionally he's an 8/10 and occasionally he makes a mistake.

I remember RC fans telling us he was rubbish at CB.

He's fab in a back 3. Consistent, reliable and fit. Real professional.

Along with Goga and Bolton,  so impressive defensively and even when Dunne or Taylor play, still damn good.

We don't have a big squad, but definitely the best we've had for many years.

Was going to post saying we don't need to worry about Aberdeen (or Hibs...) nicking our manager any time soon due to their arrogance and snobbery and thinking they're our betters in footballing terms - then saw this retweeted by Langfield.

Who cares about old fashioned stuff like goals, points and wins when you can look at how many shots a team has had and how many of their goals have been scored by the opposition?

Thankfully for us the folk running Aberdeen (DATA) and Hibs seem far more bothered about data bullshit like this than using their eyes to see whose team is doing well. It's not as if we're achieving it with Gus-style football either that makes the eyes bleed. Our players are well drilled and work their arses off - it might not be Pep-era Barca stuff but I'd far rather have that and get wins than be 5th in passing accuracy but 10th in the league.

17 hours ago, tam the bud said:

Since Strain is normally knacked around the 70mins make, Elvis will be a good sub for him and i expect he will still get mins on the pitch most games. 

Much as I rate Strain as a full back , I don't think he will walk straight into the first team . It will take him a few matches to get match ready , then he has to prove he,s a better option than Elvis who will improve week on week . Great problem to have . 

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

Was going to post saying we don't need to worry about Aberdeen (or Hibs...) nicking our manager any time soon due to their arrogance and snobbery and thinking they're our betters in footballing terms - then saw this retweeted by Langfield.

Who cares about old fashioned stuff like goals, points and wins when you can look at how many shots a team has had and how many of their goals have been scored by the opposition?

Thankfully for us the folk running Aberdeen (DATA) and Hibs seem far more bothered about data bullshit like this than using their eyes to see whose team is doing well. It's not as if we're achieving it with Gus-style football either that makes the eyes bleed. Our players are well drilled and work their arses off - it might not be Pep-era Barca stuff but I'd far rather have that and get wins than be 5th in passing accuracy but 10th in the league.

I’m glad he cleared up that the OGs in our goals for column were scored by opposition players and not our own.

53 minutes ago, Stu said:

Was going to post saying we don't need to worry about Aberdeen (or Hibs...) nicking our manager any time soon due to their arrogance and snobbery and thinking they're our betters in footballing terms - then saw this 

My favourite part was “…one of the best jobs in the country…” 😂

43 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

My favourite part was “…one of the best jobs in the country…” 😂

Kind of is, sign a longterm contract, get fired, take time off on remainder of contract pay out 😎

Never mind that nonsense, we win our next 2 league games and we're back in 4th. (Pulling away from Hibs, Dons, and Dee)

Need to be on it from the 1st kick and keep McCowan, Cameron and Mellon quiet.

And remind our players they bottle it over 90 minutes.

First time poster on the ol' forum! Hope everyone had a good weekend after that belter of a result against hibs.

Love big Gogic. Surely a contender for player of the season at this rate?  To me he is one of the key players of the squad we need to ensure we have on a decent length contract.

Some big decisions for Robbo coming up for the Dundee match. Kwon & Boyd-Munce played well (perhaps the good thing about having competition for places coming up). But do you change any of them two for O'hara or Baccus? 

Massive run of league fixtures coming up: dundee, livi, st johnstone, Ross county.  On face value looking at league positions, these are the easier run of matches. However, most of these teams have taken points of us also only a few months ago.

Edited by zildjian

If we're playing just two in the middle of the park then I'd stick with Kwon and CBM but if we're going with three in there (I prefer this as it means we're more likely to control the midfield) then I'd add Baccus. 

Harsh on the captain I know. 

On 30/01/2024 at 17:24, medals said:

Not just the right man, they are really throwing money onto the roulette wheel.

Which players are costing a significant outlay?

I'll give you some time to concoct an answer.

13 hours ago, medals said:

Never mind that nonsense, we win our next 2 league games and we're back in 4th. (Pulling away from Hibs, Dons, and Dee)

Need to be on it from the 1st kick and keep McCowan, Cameron and Mellon quiet.

And remind our players they bottle it over 90 minutes.

How do you work that out ?