The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

11 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

First back to back wins since September? Is that what they said on Sportscene? Two good performances too.

Next 3 league fixtures are Livingston (a), St Johnstone (h), Ross County (a).

Anything more than 4 points from that and I think we're looking pretty good for top 6. 

Given the recent relative fortunes of each side, we need to be realistically targeting wins vs all three if we do honestly harbour ambitions of a top 4 or 5 finish.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Given the recent relative fortunes of each side, we need to be realistically targeting wins vs all three if we do honestly harbour ambitions of a top 4 or 5 finish.

Absolutely. The team will definitely be aiming to win those games, and based on league positions/current form, we should be able to win all those games.

Not to go all elvisy, but to win 5 games on the bounce is always going to be tough. If we don't win them all, then we're still in a very strong position. 

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

Absolutely. The team will definitely be aiming to win those games, and based on league positions/current form, we should be able to win all those games.

Not to go all elvisy, but to win 5 games on the bounce is always going to be tough. If we don't win them all, then we're still in a very strong position. 

I said targeting 10/11 points from the 5 games would be excellent. 

In my head I had us getting between 1-3 points from the first two. I didn't factor in six in any scenario.

If we can win two of the next three I feel we're definitely going to be in the reckoning for top 5.

good win tonight even if i lost a couple of toes to frost bite. Robbo praising Mandron is nice to see, think we can stop with the roulette of forwards aswell. 9 points clear of Hibs and Dundee is a nice place to be and still breathing down Killies neck. Dundee and Hibs do have games in hand though so the cushion might not last.

Looking to the weekend, it will be a tough a game even with Celtic playing poorly but if we can keep this level of performance we have a chance. After that we need to take atleast 7 points imo out of the 9 but 3 wins is doable. 7 points would take us to 42 points we had 44 at the split last season so defo looking good for the buddies

1 hour ago, Mac28 said:

good win tonight even if i lost a couple of toes to frost bite. Robbo praising Mandron is nice to see, think we can stop with the roulette of forwards aswell. 9 points clear of Hibs and Dundee is a nice place to be and still breathing down Killies neck. Dundee and Hibs do have games in hand though so the cushion might not last.

I expect St Mirren to be a few points ahead of us after the next 3 league games as Killie have Celtic, Aberdeen then Rangers.

Edited by C4mmy31

We played some nice stuff last night, we knocked it about well and we moved the ball at pace instead of the slow passive stuff we had for a few weeks, we are starting to pick up momentum again going into this cup game against a Celtic side that isn’t exactly firing on all cylinders, absolutely no reason we can’t beat them at home on Sunday.

Greg Kiltie by the way, flys under the radar but is becoming our most important player, brilliant football brain and what a player.

The togetherness of this squad is incredible - whether winning or not.

Even when we had a slump in form recently they stuck by one another.

Robinson and his back room staff have been invaluable in creating an atmosphere where the whole match-day squad is involved. 

It was a joy watching them all celebrate on the pitch last night. 

10 minutes ago, McG said:

We played some nice stuff last night, we knocked it about well and we moved the ball at pace instead of the slow passive stuff we had for a few weeks, we are starting to pick up momentum again going into this cup game against a Celtic side that isn’t exactly firing on all cylinders, absolutely no reason we can’t beat them at home on Sunday.

Greg Kiltie by the way, flys under the radar but is becoming our most important player, brilliant football brain and what a player.

Totally agree. Especially the comments on Kiltie. The only poor performance all season at home that I can remember from him was against Kilmarnock. But the whole team suffered that night. 

Player of the season this year could easily be picked from these players:

Hemming, Gogic, Tanser and Kiltie. 

Still plenty of the season left for others to make a claim. Guys like Taylor and Strain have been great too. 

Some players like O’Hara and McMenamin it could easily be argued have underperformed this season but let’s hope they improve near the end of the season. 

Keep this quiet. But I’ve just got a feeling that this squad has a good chance of getting to the Scottish cup final.

Edited by Molotov

Disappointed with the ref last night.

Think Bolton's booking should not have been and even the var team question the red. Both times he played the ball and both were 50/50s - Dee players reactions were "cheat like" too.

And Toyosi's goal was not that tight yet both officials weren't going to give it.

2 league wins on the spin, let's make it 3

1 hour ago, medals said:

Disappointed with the ref last night.

Think Bolton's booking should not have been and even the var team question the red. Both times he played the ball and both were 50/50s - Dee players reactions were "cheat like" too.

And Toyosi's goal was not that tight yet both officials weren't going to give it.

2 league wins on the spin, let's make it 3

He gave every 50/50 Dundee’s way. There were 2 clear bookings for Shaughnessy, one before the Bolton challenge. I think his reluctance to give Shaughnessy a deserved booking compared to couldn’t get the card out quick enough for Bolton was half the frustration. His stubbornness when it came to the red card summed up his performance. He was atrocious all night and not helped by the linesman on either side as well.

If only referees had a league table as well and could get relegated. McLean would be the Brechin equivalent. Plummet through the tables in consecutive seasons. 

2 hours ago, tam the bud said:

Hope the club appeal the red card. Having him available to play against Celtic is worth more than the cost. 

Rangers appealing their red against the Dons and it was a lot worst than ours. 

Totall agree. We should be submitting an appeal asap. Bolton is becoming a main stay in the side and we need him playing. 

Hope Mandron gets a run in the side. He was superb last night. 

5 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

He gave every 50/50 Dundee’s way. There were 2 clear bookings for Shaughnessy, one before the Bolton challenge. I think his reluctance to give Shaughnessy a deserved booking compared to couldn’t get the card out quick enough for Bolton was half the frustration. His stubbornness when it came to the red card summed up his performance. He was atrocious all night and not helped by the linesman on either side as well.

If only referees had a league table as well and could get relegated. McLean would be the Brechin equivalent. Plummet through the tables in consecutive seasons. 

Lower league refs are even worse, fwiw

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Lower league refs are even worse, fwiw

There in lies the problem in professional football at least in Scotland.  The standard of refereeing is far too low, and often their arrogance compounds their ignorance.

18 hours ago, Mac28 said:

9 points clear of Hibs and Dundee is a nice place to be and still breathing down Killies neck. Dundee and Hibs do have games in hand though so the cushion might not last.

To be denied top 6 now, it would require 2 teams out of Dundee, Aberdeen, Hibs or Motherwell to accumulate 10 more points than us between now and the split (8-10 games). Long odds I'd say.

After those back-to-back wins the target must be 4th.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

To be denied top 6 now, it would require 2 teams out of Dundee, Aberdeen, Hibs or Motherwell to accumulate 10 more points than us between now and the split (8-10 games). Long odds I'd say.

After those back-to-back wins the target must be 4th.

It is within our grasp. We play 3 bottom teams next - time to make our move, then stay ahead.

Bigger money, greater achievement,  more attractive to summer signings etc etc.