The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Oh look at you, signing up your best players for multiple years while sitting in the top half, and planning for your European campaign already.

Fucking pathetic.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Not being a dick but I was thinking about this the other day. When the rumours initially broke I thought there was something in it as a few sensible-ish St Mirren fans seemed confident in more than just a wind-uppy way and there was nobody really denying it on our end. I was wondering if he'd maybe signed a PCA at St Mirren before he went on that mad run of form that piqued Hearts' interest and managed to get out of it. We'll probably never know.

There was definitely interest. We wanted to take him in the January window and were soundly told to f**k off by Motherwell at which point I'm guessing we offered a deal which is when the rumours came out about it being agreed. Robinson added fuel to that fire when  he said at a fan Q&A that two unnamed PCAs were 'agreed' and that's when the Spittal rumour really gathered pace.

However, 'agreed' doesn't mean 'signed'.

Interesting that Robinson later (just a couple of weeks ago) said they thought they had two incoming that were over the line but had been left disappointed. He didn't mention if it was the same two he'd earlier spoken about (as he never mentioned these agreed PCAs to the press) but most have assumed they are the same two people and one was Spittal.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I wonder where Strain and Baccus will end up. Hopefully not at another Scottish team. 

I could easily see Rangers going in for Baccus. Jack and Lundstram probably leaving leaves a big space in that area of the park, he's a current full international, young at 26, knows Scottish football and no transfer fee involved.

The only problem is that Keanu is a quite likeable lad and just wouldn't fit in with that mob at all.

Posted (edited)

Great news with Gogic, Robinson clearly rates him, has effectively built that defence around him, and Gogic looks like he's loving his time with us just now.

I wonder if it was the length of contract that swayed him, as that does seem quite long (..madam!). I could be wrong here (I often am!) but wasn't the last time we put out a 3 year contract was to Brophy.

Edited by Ric

19 hours ago, Hendo said:

The really scary thing about that was all the comments from SNP supporters who were offended.

If he ever does decide to stand in Scotland, i wanr to be his election agent.

Probably because it's another day, another way for the Herald to take a pop.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Great news with Gogic, Robinson clearly rates him, has effectively built that defence around him, and Gogic looks like he's loving his time with us just now.

I wonder if it was the length of contract that swayed him, as that does seem quite long (..madam!). I could be wrong here (I often am!) but wasn't the last time we put out a 3 year contract was to Brophy.

Brophy was a walking sick note.

Gogic up to now, have never had a problem playing in every game he been picked for.

2 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

Brophy was a walking sick note.

Gogic up to now, have never had a problem playing in every game he been picked for.

My post wasn't comparing them, just noting I think that's the last 3 year deal.

Perhaps that Brophy deal put the BoD off such long contracts until now.

I'd resigned myself to losing Gogic.

Thought the wonder goal line clearance against Sevco - and what that would have shown to any watching managers - meant any lingering hope went.

Sooooooo good to know that spirit and will to win is staying at Saints!!!

We are basically a right wing back and a keeper away from a full starting XI now. 

Obviously think we'll still be looking to strengthen significantly, and Baccus and Strain will leave gaping holes, but we're in decent shape already.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

We are basically a right wing back and a keeper away from a full starting XI now. 

Obviously think we'll still be looking to strengthen significantly, and Baccus and Strain will leave gaping holes, but we're in decent shape already.

Gogic signing means really, we're now only in the market for one centre half in the summer.

As you say, a first choice RWB, and keeper then two central mids and we're looking pretty good.

I do get impression we'll sign a forward too, though. I don't think we'd be too difficult to deal with in terms of if someone came in for 2 or 3 of our forward players.

Feel McMenamin and Kiltie are both locks to stay. Scott will be signing full time too.

The others though (Jamieson, Ayunga, Mandron), could all realistically move on to make space and/or money. Mandron in particular because we could potentially pull in a very nice fee from clubs with budget to spend for a player pushing 30 with just a year on his contract left. Also get impression from his social media that he wants that big move and you can't really deny him that.

Edited by djchapsticks

Be surprised to see Ayunga move on, if only because he seemed to epitomise Robinson's style of play in that spell before his injury. Not sure if the injury is still an issue but a fit and happy Ayunga, playing the way he did before his injury is an asset in this league.

I think we'll be hard pressed to better this signing news. Gogic has been a colossus for us this season. 

Outstanding bit of business.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I could easily see Rangers going in for Baccus. Jack and Lundstram probably leaving leaves a big space in that area of the park, he's a current full international, young at 26, knows Scottish football and no transfer fee involved.

The only problem is that Keanu is a quite likeable lad and just wouldn't fit in with that mob at all.

They're apparently going after Paddy McNair as their next CM signing.

Feel like if you're physical looking and used to play in the EPL then you're guaranteed £30k a week off Rangers.

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They're apparently going after Paddy McNair as their next CM signing.

Feel like if you're physical looking and used to play in the EPL then you're guaranteed £30k a week off Rangers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for them overspending on folk like McNair as I'd rather see Baccus go outside of Scottish football. But likes of Middlesbrough could easily replace McNair with Baccus for a whole lot less money and he could handle the Championship without issue.