The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

25 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

We just need Jamie McCart back and Jason Kerr to complete the set and definitely win the cup next year.

Ones a free agent, and the other is free to leave their current club. Liam Gordon free this Summer too.

There's your back 5 sorted.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Haven’t seen an awful lot of him the last two years so maybe it’s improved, but I’d be more confident in him scoring goals than putting in decent crosses. 

Scored 1 goal last season and put in over 30 crosses. Not sure how many were good though.

He's not noted for being a great passer either but his drive, ball winning ability makes him a most likely asset.

Once our coach gets him... watch him improve 

Edited by medals

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Ones a free agent, and the other is free to leave their current club. Liam Gordon free this Summer too.

There's your back 5 sorted.

You can punt Gordon elsewhere - not for us.

We have 4 better already and another incoming soon.

You guys must have a clear out sale - especially if you go down - odds still in your favour for now though.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Strain definitely leaving then. Rooney a good signing. It obviously hasn't worked out for him in England but he's certainly good enough or the Scottish Premiership. Scott Tanser on the left Shaun Rooney on the right, full back goals and assists galore.

I think over 80 games and 8 goals is not bad for 2 seasons. Not sure what his assist stats are, though he's had a fair amount of games.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Think everyone would have loved Strain to stay. Much like Rooney for Fleetwood, Ryan has had a very stop start season mainly due to injury and lack of fitness.

Strain 100% fit and on his game walks into almost any English 2nd tier side. I think a few clubs at the level he deserves to be will baulk at his injury record and struggles after the 70 minute mark in games. Pains me to see it but I could definitely see him showing up at Hearts.

Will be interesting if Strain does move to England, if he can keep up with the demand of games. Almost 2 league games every week, then the cup games etc. 

I note that Rooney has been regularly playing right central defence in a back 3 for Fleetwood, ie the position taken by Fraser & Bolton most of the season

With Strain likely away it’s being assumed that he’s been signed to play right wing back

Will be interesting to see what Robinson’s plans for him are

He’d certainly be a danger from RWB in our set up 

26 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Wayne Rooney is a spectacular signing for St Mirren. A real statement of intent.

We're all just glad it's not Adam

40 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I think over 80 games and 8 goals is not bad for 2 seasons. Not sure what his assist stats are, though he's had a fair amount of games.

Just basing the fact it didn’t work out on the fact Fleetwood released him at the end of his contract and he’s back up the road. 
No matter he’s a proven performer at Scottish Premiership level. Will be a good signing for us. 

2 hours ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

Last time we were in Europe, it was against some team I’d never heard of.

Mechelen. .

We got a nil nil in the first leg which got us scratching our heads as they ran rings round us at Love Street in the second leg. How the chookie did we manage to get a draw with these boys on their own park. 

Anyway, they went on to win the cup winners cup that year beating Ajax in the final. 

I think I read somewhere that their directors invited the directors of the teams they’d beaten in earlier rounds to be their guests at the final. That would’ve been a nice day out for some Saintyboys. 

Mechelen also won the Super Cup that year beating PSV

1 hour ago, medals said:

Scored 1 goal last season and put in over 30 crosses. Not sure how many were good though.

He's not noted for being a great passer either but his drive, ball winning ability makes him a most likely asset.

Once our coach gets him... watch him improve 

I’ve no doubt he’ll be a good signing - Tanser putting in crosses for Rooney to attack is a very good weapon to have. His sheer running power is a valuable asset in this league and one that we sorely lack. He’s a personality too. 

I hope he’s shite (unless we get relegated, then I don’t care). 

6 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

I’ve no doubt he’ll be a good signing - Tanser putting in crosses for Rooney to attack is a very good weapon to have. His sheer running power is a valuable asset in this league and one that we sorely lack. He’s a personality too. 

I hope he’s shite (unless we get relegated, then I don’t care). 

Strain when he was fully fit and Tanser enjoyed pinging cross balls to one another in the final third so I'd imagine Rooney will be just the same albeit not as good at crossing as Strain but much better in the air.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Eli Ohana. Without Googling, he was their Israeli ‘star man’ wasn’t he? I remember when a group of Mechelen fans turned up unannounced for a game at Love Street in our final season. They had a signed Mechelen shirt for the club. At our old main stand entrance, Campbell Kennedy was informed, and he hastily got a Saints shirt signed in return. We were doing the ‘Final Chapter’ book at the time and grabbed some photos. A couple of them are in the book. I think the club fixed them up with some complimentaries in the main stand. I might be wrong. Pretty sure they would have been happier in the North Bank. Was that really over 15 years ago already?

a group of mechelen fans still come over at least once a season and usually spend most of their time in the court bar.there is a framed mechelen top in the pub 🍻 

11 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Chairman statement.

https://www.stmirren.com/all-news/5418-chairmans-statement-ahead-of-2024-25-season-tickets-going-on-sale

STs on sale tomorrow, from the info in the statement it will be £370 for adults, £175 for concessions. 

Concessions now only being Students, OAPs and unemployed (as 12-17 year olds have a new pricing bracket). Which is £10 higher than this season but the same as 22/23. A good price.

The introduction of a 12-17 pricing bracket is also welcome as the previous jump from £35 for U12s to £175 for concession was quite large. Sensible pricing will put the 12-17 pricing in the £100 range which would still represent good value.

The thing we need to replace with Strain leaving is his creativity. It obviously doesn't have to be from the same position (Rooney isn't a similar player to Strain) but we need someone, either midfield or in the front three to replace the chances Strain created.

38 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Concessions now only being Students, OAPs and unemployed (as 12-17 year olds have a new pricing bracket). Which is £10 higher than this season but the same as 22/23. A good price.

The introduction of a 12-17 pricing bracket is also welcome as the previous jump from £35 for U12s to £175 for concession was quite large. Sensible pricing will put the 12-17 pricing in the £100 range which would still represent good value.

Thats good they've revised that, it was a big jump before. Perfect timing as my son is 12 this year.

47 minutes ago, GAD said:

The thing we need to replace with Strain leaving is his creativity. It obviously doesn't have to be from the same position (Rooney isn't a similar player to Strain) but we need someone, either midfield or in the front three to replace the chances Strain created.

Yeah. You only have to look at our struggles when he was out the side to underline your point.

That said, I have high hopes for McMenamin next season. He was also injured for a spell and looked really promising when he came back in the side.